#81 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yeah I liked McLemore a little too, but seemed like it was a draft full of 3rd-4th options and no real stars. Bound to happen time to time.

Yeah I try to limit it to the first couple rounds because it's REALLY hard to find those nuggets in the later rounds. Now if Jimmy Reed (STL) ends up doing really well in the 'pen out there, I'm going to be pretty salty, cause I fought hard for him with some people. I have plenty I miss on too though (Matzek for one) so pros and cons.

I think playing with Cousins is poison, though word is he's a bit more mature so far this year, we'll see. 

Well, with so many damn guys, it's a lot more likely to miss on some, so you get a pass!! 

• JeremyStrain likes this
@beginthebegin71

#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I was thinking an old possibly injured Brooklyn team, catching them at the right time...I know it's a stretch, don't get me wrong. 

I still like the deal, if only to make the franchise a bit relevant again, bring the fans out, get some TV exposure, good experience for the backcourt guys playing important games in April...etc. 

But no, Gortat doesn't make them a title contender, obviously. 

Great point here, I think for a team like the Wizards which is only relevant when they are playing teams like the Heat, Lakers, or Bulls, you want to see them in the spotlight more. You have to start somewhere. The draft is no guarantee as we've found out with this team, given their history of misses. I'm just not a big fan of tanking to begin with. I get the reasons for it though.

@levineps

#83 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Great point here, I think for a team like the Wizards which is only relevant when they are playing teams like the Heat, Lakers, or Bulls, you want to see them in the spotlight more. You have to start somewhere. The draft is no guarantee as we've found out with this team, given their history of misses. I'm just not a big fan of tanking to begin with. I get the reasons for it though.

Exactly, just be relevant this year, we're not winning the title with Okafor or Gortat, and more than likely the 14th pick next year either...So if we suck this year, the pick is lottery protected, and if we make the playoffs, the franchise is on their way up...Win win I'd think. 

@beginthebegin71

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Well, we can see who the Wizards miss in the Draft next year.... but right now they are improved. It was unknown how long Okafor was going to be out with his neck issue, and Nene's minutes have to be limited (he has asked for that himself).

Beale has had a big preseason, and everyone is writing about Wall being on the verge of breaking out. They need Porter to become a significant player.

They've been totally irrelevant in recent years. This makes them watchable. Might not be the best long-term approach, but I think business sometimes forces shorter-term decisions.

In this past year, Leonsis (run by his son) has launched the Monumental Network. Their content is being driven by the Caps, and Wizards (though they have merged with PressBox to cover Baltimore, and Leonsis owns a % of SB Nation... so they have links to the local SB Nation sites... and the Ball Hogs Radio Network - a group of podcats including IHJJR's Ravens podcast - are also part of their coverage.)

My speculation is that the next step for Monumental Network is launching as a RSN.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Well, we can see who the Wizards miss in the Draft next year.... but right now they are improved. It was unknown how long Okafor was going to be out with his neck issue, and Nene's minutes have to be limited (he has asked for that himself).

Beale has had a big preseason, and everyone is writing about Wall being on the verge of breaking out. They need Porter to become a significant player.

They've been totally irrelevant in recent years. This makes them watchable. Might not be the best long-term approach, but I think business sometimes forces shorter-term decisions.

In this past year, Leonsis (run by his son) has launched the Monumental Network. Their content is being driven by the Caps, and Wizards (though they have merged with PressBox to cover Baltimore, and Leonsis owns a % of SB Nation... so they have links to the local SB Nation sites... and the Ball Hogs Radio Network - a group of podcats including IHJJR's Ravens podcast - are also part of their coverage.)

My speculation is that the next step for Monumental Network is launching as a RSN.

Any idea when this could happen? Any chance like some have speculated this could be conjunction with MASN?What are they going to air in the summer after all? Caps practices? Wizards summer league games?

@levineps

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Any idea when this could happen? Any chance like some have speculated this could be conjunction with MASN?What are they going to air in the summer after all? Caps practices? Wizards summer league games?

The MASN angle is interesting, but that seems very unlikely to me. No idea of when this could happen, but they've already put a lot of money into the infrastructure of Monumental Network. Would just surprise me if they don't take the next step at some point.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

SI: Who won the Suns / Wizards trade? Both

http://nba.si.com/20...wr_a5&eref=sihp

#88 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

The MASN angle is interesting, but that seems very unlikely to me. No idea of when this could happen, but they've already put a lot of money into the infrastructure of Monumental Network. Would just surprise me if they don't take the next step at some point.

I'm not sure when the CSN contracts expire, but that I'm guessing is the goal. Possibly even buying them out, as those games are their main properties. Having DC U, their original programming (SportsNet Central, SportsTalk Live, Redskins/Ravens programming), syndicated out-of-market programming isn't quite as appealing. Although, I'm sure their pre/post Redskins/Ravens coverage gets good ratings.

As others have pointed out, having the O's/Nats + Caps/Wizards on the same network makes sense given the lack of overlap.

@levineps

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm not sure when the CSN contracts expire, but that I'm guessing is the goal. Possibly even buying them out, as those games are their main properties. Having DC U, their original programming (SportsNet Central, SportsTalk Live, Redskins/Ravens programming), syndicated out-of-market programming isn't quite as appealing. Although, I'm sure their pre/post Redskins/Ravens coverage gets good ratings.

As others have pointed out, having the O's/Nats + Caps/Wizards on the same network makes sense given the lack of overlap.

Could have just added their coverage to MASN, vs. spending they money they have to build their own site.

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Could have just added their coverage to MASN, vs. spending they money they have to build their own site.

I think Leonsis would want a substantial stake in MASN at minimum. This could resemble YES except you have double the teams. I'm not sure how much of a stake the Nets have in it if at all at this point. When it began it was more of a partnership if I recall. NESN is split between Red Sox and Bruins, with the Bruins having the majority of that network.

@levineps

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Gortat doesn't make them more watchable.

They were already watchable with guys like Beal, Wall and Porter...Should be an up and down team.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Gortat doesn't make them more watchable.

They were already watchable with guys like Beal, Wall and Porter...Should be an up and down team.

If he helps them win more games this year, that does make them more watchable. Without him, their front-court had a lot of problems.

#93 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think Leonsis would want a substantial stake in MASN at minimum. This could resemble YES except you have double the teams. I'm not sure how much of a stake the Nets have in it if at all at this point. When it began it was more of a partnership if I recall. NESN is split between Red Sox and Bruins, with the Bruins having the majority of that network.

Give Leonsis the Nats' share of MASN, then let the Nats go cut their own deal. I'm probably overlooking something, but on the surface it looks like a win-win. But I also highly doubt it is feasible.

It looks like Leonsis is very serious about expanding the Monumental brand. One hitch that I'm sure I read somewhere is that the Caps and Wizards contracts with CSN are not concurrent....one has a lot more years left than the other.

#94 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Give Leonsis the Nats' share of MASN, then let the Nats go cut their own deal. I'm probably overlooking something, but on the surface it looks like a win-win. But I also highly doubt it is feasible.

It looks like Leonsis is very serious about expanding the Monumental brand. One hitch that I'm sure I read somewhere is that the Caps and Wizards contracts with CSN are not concurrent....one has a lot more years left than the other.

I think Angelos likes controlling the Nats market, a new owner might be more willing to sell.

@levineps

#95 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think Angelos likes controlling the Nats market, a new owner might be more willing to sell.

He would lose that, and yeah, he probably likes having the Nats under his thumb, so to speak. The trade-off would be something that arguably boosts the value of his network, 3 pro teams instead of 2 and year-round live sports programming. I can see it both ways.

#96 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

First time in awhile I have been looking forward to a Wizard season.  This team looks good no real depth in the bigs but can't wait to see what Bradley turns into this season.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#97 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,635 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Anyone else gonna be at opening night?  Pretty excited.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Wizards down 55-43 at the half... Detroit leading 32-8 in the paint.

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,368 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Wizards down 8 mid 3rd... Ariza having a good game.

#100 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Wizards down 55-43 at the half... Detroit leading 32-8 in the paint.

That 2nd part is laughable.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=