HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

So far Bundy is making his case for a promotion:

4 IP 0 runs, 2 hits, 1 walk, 4 K's

Through 5 innings..he walked 2 in the 5th..k'ed 1.

Up to 79 pitches..62% str%.

#262 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Bundy removed from game after 5.1 IP..he walked 4..struck out 6..allowed 3 hits...no runs.

Too many walks.

EDIT: 2 runs have scored after Bundy left..both charged to him.

#263 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Seems to me if we're going to recall him he's probably going to help us best out of the pen.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#264 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Seems to me if we're going to recall him he's probably going to help us best out of the pen.

He has consistently been very good early and gotten worse in the 5th inning it seems.

So yea, it would seem the pen is his best spot...but do you bring him up for that? Our pen is our strength, so is he going to be an upgrade?

#265 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,612 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Yeah you bring him up for the bullpen. He would be better than Gregg and Ayala IMO. I think he'd dominate in short stints.

#266 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

IMO, no need to bring Bundy up. Let him go home after the season is over.

As for better than Gregg, yes, not sure about Ayala. When rested he has been fine.

Arrietta, Hunter, Patton, Wolf and jason Hammel will all join the team. Buck will be able to mix and match. We should be fine.
@mikeghg

#267 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I just don't like the idea of calling Bundy up very much.

I think best case is that he could be what, our 3rd best reliever? 4th maybe behind O'Day? That's not unimportant, but we're also not in a situation where we are desperate for relief help.

He's also just been good, not dominant, at AA. 7 K/9, 4.3 BB/9, 1.32 WHIP. Those aren't dominating numbers. Obviously the scouting at this point means much more than the numbers, and there is some reason to think that he would be better if he was throwing short stints at higher effort.

But, if you switch his role, do you risk injury? Do we really wanna screw around with Bundy if we only think he'll be the 3rd or 4th best guy out of the bullpen at best? If we add in Wolf and Arrieta and other guys from AAA and Patton gets healthy...we've got a pretty well stocked bullpen with several effective guys.

I just don't think the level of impact that Bundy would like make in relief over the final month is worth risk to his health (if you believe there is additional risk) or starting his service time clock.

#268 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

According to Showalter, Dylan Bundy will go to instructional league this fall when his season for Bowie ends.

#269 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

According to Showalter, Dylan Bundy will go to instructional league this fall when his season for Bowie ends.

That's about what I thought was going to happen. With the innings cap I didn't think AFL was going to be in the cards.

Contrary to what people have been saying...he's not ready yet. He's gotta find a pitch he can pitch to contact when he needs it. Too many BB going for the K. Lots of young guys do that though, experience will fix that one.
@JeremyMStrain

#270 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,225 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Baseball Prospectus: Prospect Profile Dylan Bundy
http://www.baseballp...articleid=18183

#271 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

That's about what I thought was going to happen. With the innings cap I didn't think AFL was going to be in the cards.

Contrary to what people have been saying...he's not ready yet. He's gotta find a pitch he can pitch to contact when he needs it. Too many BB going for the K. Lots of young guys do that though, experience will fix that one.

You mean like the cutter?

#272 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

You mean like the cutter?

You got that subtle jab huh?
@JeremyMStrain

#273 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Well, regarding the snark, there are really 2 issues that I think some folks are blurring together when they're really different issues. One issue is whether the O's opinion about the cutter for young P's in general is reasonable. Another issue is whether it makes sense to take away Bundy's best pitch (which happens to be a cutter).

From the what's been posted, I think the first issue is an open question... the O's certainly don't have any overwhelming evidence on their side, at least not that anybody else seems to know about, no question about that at all... but that article somebody posted gave a perfectly balanced view of it and concluded that it's not crazy either.

But that's a different issue than taking away his best pitch. I think doing that makes a lot of sense. If he can't be good without it in the bus leagues, how is he gonna get by in the bigs during those days/weeks/whatever when it's not working? To get snarky about them doing that is just silly... they're doing the right thing... it's called *development*

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#274 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well, regarding the snark, there are really 2 issues that I think some folks are blurring together when they're really different issues. One issue is whether the O's opinion about the cutter for young P's in general is reasonable. Another issue is whether it makes sense to take away Bundy's best pitch (which happens to be a cutter).

From the what's been posted, I think the first issue is an open question... the O's certainly don't have any overwhelming evidence on their side, at least not that anybody else seems to know about, no question about that at all... but that article somebody posted gave a perfectly balanced view of it and concluded that it's not crazy either.

But that's a different issue than taking away his best pitch. I think doing that makes a lot of sense. If he can't be good without it in the bus leagues, how is he gonna get by in the bigs during those days/weeks/whatever when it's not working? To get snarky about them doing that is just silly... they're doing the right thing... it's called *development*

And you can't develop while throwing that pitch?

We have already seen Bundy himself say that he would throw the cutter 10-15 times a game.

So, you are saying, right now, that he isn't capable of developing if he threw that pitch?

#275 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'm saying he needs to find a way to be able to be excellent in the bus leagues without having it.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#276 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm saying he needs to find a way to be able to be excellent in the bus leagues without having it.

Why? Why can't he be excellent with it?

#277 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Why? Why can't he be excellent with it?

Hey, I'm happy to discuss this with you... but just stop for a sec first... do you really not grok the idea that kid-P's need to learn how to succeed without whatever they're accustomed to relying on? Or are you just in argue-mode?

Seems to me that, since you say you've always wanted more complete kid-P development, getting them to excel without *any particular pitch* would be something you'd call progress for the org... as opposed to just letting them rise up through the org without that kind of dev and then getting shelled, which is what we've seen for way too long.

#278 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hey, I'm happy to discuss this with you... but just stop for a sec first... do you really not grok the idea that kid-P's need to learn how to succeed without whatever they're accustomed to relying on? Or are you just in argue-mode?

Seems to me that, since you say you've always wanted more complete kid-P development, getting them to excel without *any particular pitch* would be something you'd call progress for the org... as opposed to just letting them rise up through the org without that kind of dev and then getting shelled, which is what we've seen for way too long.

They should develop with the pitches they have.

If you need to improve/develop a pitch(for example, if you have a mediocre/inconsistent curveball, you want to improve that), that's fine.

But none of this has anything to do with GETTING RID OF a pitch that the pitcher is used to throwing and throwing well.

Let me ask you this...If Bundy's best pitch was a slider, does that mean he should get rid of that to learn how to throw another pitch better?

The idea that he should get rid of a pitch isn't sensible, especially if it is his BEST pitch.

Im not trying to argue...But this does seem to me to be yet another case where the Orioles have decided to do something and you will just trust them and if anyone questions them, they are wrong...even though evidence is out that says their reasoning is not only poor but just flat out wrong. And while some teams do believe in this, many don't..So, its pretty obvious that there is no consensus opinion and the data doesn't back it up.

So, is this simply a case of the Orioles being in favor of this, so you think they are right and shouldn't be questioned?

#279 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I've said all along I get where you are coming from there and if that was the explanation the team gave I could be ok with that. I think hewould learn better whatsituations to throw what pitches if he had all of them. That cutter is a great ground out pitch to certain hitters which could help him learn how to pitch to contact like we both support.
@JeremyMStrain

#280 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

I guess I am missing why its bad to let these guys throw the pitches they excel at.

I mean, if you have a 4 pitch pitcher and his 4th pitch isn't good and you want to get rid of that, that's fine.

But that isn't the case here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=