245 replies to this topic

#201 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:41 PM

Agree on all counts.  I always call the Chargers San Diego.  I still can't imagine why anyone would leave San Diego for Los Angeles.  I guess money, but still with already being a millionaire many times over, I would rather be in San Diego.  Nobody cares about that team in LA.  

There were several attempts to build a new stadium and the voters said no. Spanos didn't have the money to do it on his own.

#202 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:44 PM

I'll never forget when the Ravens played the Chargers and had a slight lead early.  Staley goes for a 4 & 2 or 3 from their own like 30 yard line, failed and the Ravens immediately scored again and the rout was on.

The guy is a bigger gambler than Harbaugh. His 1st season he won a few and it went to his head. Then he starts risking 4th downs inside his 30. Harbaugh wouldn't go that far.

#203 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:36 PM

The Ringer: How the Chargers Squandered Justin Herbert's Rookie Contract

#204 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 02:12 PM

The Chargers currently lead the punchless Patriots, 3-0, on a field goal by Cameron Dicker.

I wonder if his mother legally changed her name when she got married? 

#205 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:48 PM

Staley has to get fired at this point, right? I know basically the JV was playing, at least on offense, but the Raiders only scored 20 points twice this year, they lost 3-0 last week, and they had 42 at the half.

#206 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 December 2023 - 11:58 PM

No sense even letting Staley twist by having him finish the season. I'd just give him the Lane Kiffin Tarmac Treatment. Plus with playing Thursday whoever the interim ends up being has a couple extra days to.....ehhhh, who am I kidding?

#207 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:06 AM

No sense even letting Staley twist by having him finish the season. I'd just give him the Lane Kiffin Tarmac Treatment. Plus with playing Thursday whoever the interim ends up being has a couple extra days to.....ehhhh, who am I kidding?

The Chargers aren't going to get the guy they want if they fire Staley now. Then again, given the dumpster fire the Chargers have become, the guy they actually want and the one they actually hire might not be the same person.

#208 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 December 2023 - 03:37 AM

The Chargers aren't going to get the guy they want if they fire Staley now. Then again, given the dumpster fire the Chargers have become, the guy they actually want and the one they actually hire might not be the same person.

I've got to think that as long as Herbert is on the team coaches will line up for a shot. As long as he is healthy he gives you a fighting chance even if your defense is God awful.

#209 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 06:43 AM

Chargers are perpetual failure.

#210 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 07:25 AM

How would firing Staley now be a factor in their next hire?

#211 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 10:26 AM

How would firing Staley now be a factor in their next hire?

Firing him now means someone else likely takes over on an interim basis. With only three weeks to go, better to just play out the string and get together a short list of potential hires after the season. 

#212 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:05 AM

Firing him now means someone else likely takes over on an interim basis. With only three weeks to go, better to just play out the string and get together a short list of potential hires after the season.

They're certainly not making a permanent hire until after the season. It seemed to me that you were implying that candidates would remove themselves from consideration if they axe Staley after Week 14 instead of after Week 18, which didn't make much sense to me. But if that's not what you're saying then I just misunderstood.

#213 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:16 AM

Chargers are perpetual failure.

Their dozens of fans have got to be frustrated at this point.

#214 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:18 AM

They're certainly not making a permanent hire until after the season. It seemed to me that you were implying that candidates would remove themselves from consideration if they axe Staley after Week 14 instead of after Week 18, which didn't make much sense to me. But if that's not what you're saying then I just misunderstood.

No, what I meant was that a number of the top candidates for head coaching jobs (which is rumored to include Mike McDonald) will still be with their respective teams at this time and thus not available to interview. I'm not exactly familiar with the NFL's rules in this area, but I believe that no one employed by another team may be interviewed until three (?) days after Week 18. This applies to teams which did not qualify for the playoffs and teams which earned the first-round bye.

I believe there are additional rules regarding coaches whose teams played in the wildcard round. In other words, it's going to be another couple of weeks until most candidates are allowed to interview. But you don't need to fire your current coach now in order to start putting together a wish list.

#215 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 11:33 AM

Of course you don't make your permanent hire in week 15, but if you know you are firing the guy it makes some sense to just get him out as soon as you know and let someone else finish the year on an interim basis. 

edit and Staley and GM Telesco have been fired.

#216 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 02:29 PM

No, what I meant was that a number of the top candidates for head coaching jobs (which is rumored to include Mike McDonald) will still be with their respective teams at this time and thus not available to interview. I'm not exactly familiar with the NFL's rules in this area, but I believe that no one employed by another team may be interviewed until three (?) days after Week 18. This applies to teams which did not qualify for the playoffs and teams which earned the first-round bye.

I believe there are additional rules regarding coaches whose teams played in the wildcard round. In other words, it's going to be another couple of weeks until most candidates are allowed to interview. But you don't need to fire your current coach now in order to start putting together a wish list.

I'm very confused. Fire him now, interview once season is over. Happens all the time.

#217 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 02:40 PM

I'm very confused. Fire him now, interview once season is over. Happens all the time.

There's simply no strategic advantage in firing him now. Of course, given the way the Chargers seemed to lay down last night, Staley virtually guaranteed he'd have some time to catch up on his Christmas shopping.

#218 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 02:51 PM

Is this the most underperforming franchise in history? I mean some franchises are just bad. If we're talking Super Bowl era, Lions, Browns, Cardinals sans Kurt Warner. There are never any expectations there. But the Chargers seem to be in the conversation of good teams often but seems to just be spinning wheels constantly. 

The Coryell teams and all those HOFers, nothing to show for it. Never so much as a conference championship. Was the 94' Super Bowl team their worst, good team? Stan Humphries? I don't think I can name a receiver on that team. Natrone Means is a name you don't forget. Other than Seau that team was nothing special. All the Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates, LaDainian Tomlinson, Shawn Merriman teams...squat to show for it. Justin Herbert, Ekeler, Joey Bosa, very talented. Idiotic head coach, nothing again to show for it yet.

They have to be the worst good team, right? Like I wonder where their preseason super bowl odds are every year, compared to where they finish. This year they had 12th best odds to win the SB and are currently the 5th worst team. I have to think many years where they are top-10 in the SB odds they finish one and done, or out of the playoffs completely. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#219 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 03:55 PM

There's simply no strategic advantage in firing him now. Of course, given the way the Chargers seemed to lay down last night, Staley virtually guaranteed he'd have some time to catch up on his Christmas shopping.

A lame duck coach may not have the same interests as the organization. He knows he's about done and will want to put himself in the best light for future employment, win a few games at all costs and not finish on a bad tailspin. The team might want to see what they have in certain players and give some playing time to guys that might not necessarily be the best for winning now. Maybe the team can direct an interim coach how they want to develop players better than they can with an established coach.

If the coach has lost the team, which last night somewhat indicates, there's no point in him staying around. When it gets to the point where you want to fire the coach the future is now the goal, and if he's lost the team that can't be ideal for development.

You can't interview coaches that currently have jobs, but you can start informally talking to agents. That's a little bit more awkward when a guy still has the job. You could probably start talking to college guys, see if Jim Harbaugh is fed up with college rules 

It probably doesn't matter that much either way though. I say if you think he lost the team and you know you'll fire him end of year regardless, then it's time to make a change.

Firing the GM is also a bit odd, but I guess not a lot of personnel stuff is happening at this point before the end of year.

#220 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 December 2023 - 04:04 PM

There's also no strategic advantage to leaving the guy to twist when you have already made up your mind you are replacing him. In fact, firing him now and giving an interim an opportunity to see what they can do the last 3 games might actually turn you on to a potential candidate you didn't seriously consider before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=