#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

How will this hurt them?  Aside from not having him (or having to pay him) this year when they aren't contending anyways, nothing has changed for them.

I'm not sure how effective he'll be from here on out and this is a lot of $$$ tied to one player.

@levineps

#22 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

MLBN just reminded me that Valencia is the only O caught up in this for now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

MLBN just reminded me that Valencia is the only O caught up in this for now. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Just speaking from a performance perspective and not much else, if Valencia is it for the O's, not a big deal.

@levineps

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm not sure how effective he'll be from here on out and this is a lot of $$$ tied to one player.

They had the money tied up in him already.

Nothing besides hyperbole to really suggest that he'll be a dramatically different player after this, IMO.  He's not gonna be worth the contract in all likelihood, but that was already the likelihood just because of it's size and length.  He won't become Jay Gibbons just because he got caught.  He's still one of the best hitters on the planet and will remain so for several more years.

I suppose it could evolve into a non-very-scientific case study on what happens when a great player stops using (if he does stop), but I don't really think there will be much of a change in his performance over the next several years.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

They had the money tied up in him already.

Nothing besides hyperbole to really suggest that he'll be a dramatically different player after this, IMO.  He's not gonna be worth the contract in all likelihood, but that was already the likelihood just because of it's size and length.  He won't become Jay Gibbons just because he got caught.  He's still one of the best hitters on the planet and will remain so for several more years.

Doubtful on him becoming Jay Gibbons, but you think they still do this deal knowing what they know now?

@levineps

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Doubtful on him becoming Jay Gibbons, but you think they still do this deal knowing what they know now?

I do.

I think if he comes back and has his usual year next season (or if he admitted his use and plan to stop using in the future but wasn't actually suspended), they'd still sign him up to the same deal that they wanted him to sign before this broke.

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Immediately, no. But that's not as much from a baseball perspective as it is from a PR perspective.

There might be some question as to how much the PEDs help his actual performance, but I definitely don't think that the Brewers would change anything.

• Mackus likes this
@DJ_McCann

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Also, there is absolutely zero chance that the Brewers, even if given the option, even under some sort of historical Selig influence, even under severe pressure from Major League Baseball, would seriously consider voiding the contract now.

@DJ_McCann

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Your paraphrase and your conclusion aren't exactly the same thing.  He can be dubious of the process that led to MLB suspending him and Braun agreeing not to fight it without thinking that Braun is completely clean.

I don't know if that's exactly what he's saying or not, but being unhappy with this current scenario of suspensions isn't the same as saying you think all of these guys are clean.

He just wants to know details. That's all. He's not saying that he believes Braun is innocent.

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

If all those guys on the list get suspended, this could help the O's this year.

Anyway, it's kinda interesting to compare the reaction to this or any baseball star PED scandal to the Von Miller situation. Most of the talk about Miller seems to just be about him missing 4 games and how that will impact the Broncos; people don't care as much to talk about cheating and legacies and such.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

If all those guys on the list get suspended, this could help the O's this year.

Anyway, it's kinda interesting to compare the reaction to this or any baseball star PED scandal to the Von Miller situation. Most of the talk about Miller seems to just be about him missing 4 games and how that will impact the Broncos; people don't care as much to talk about cheating and legacies and such.

Not that it would be different, but isn't the initial report that Miller's suspension is for weed and amphetamines?  Party drugs rather than PEDs.  I totally agree with your point that the reaction would be next to nothing aside from "how will the Broncos deal with this?" even if Miller was suspended for PEDs, like Brian Cushing.

#32 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

He just wants to know details. That's all. He's not saying that he believes Braun is innocent.

This is the impression I got from Larkin's comments. 

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Not that it would be different, but isn't the initial report that Miller's suspension is for weed and amphetamines?  Party drugs rather than PEDs.  I totally agree with your point that the reaction would be next to nothing aside from "how will the Broncos deal with this?" even if Miller was suspended for PEDs, like Brian Cushing.

He tested positive for that stuff a couple of years or so ago. I don't believe anything has come out as far as what this suspension is over. Besides, they aren't supposed to say what it is anyway, which leads to a bunch of caught guys claiming it was something relatively mild like Adderall.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Who are all the Jewish kids going to look up to now?

Side note: One of my friends played summer league games with Ryan Braun's brother. Apparently, he's more of Jewish descent than actually Jewish. He just goes along with all of it.

@levineps

#35 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Side note: One of my friends played summer league games with Ryan Braun's brother. Apparently, he's more of Jewish descent than actually Jewish. He just goes along with all of it.

Ya know, that was my first thought too..We tribesman need a hero, dammit!!!

He should have called Walter White, he'd have never gotten caught!

@beginthebegin71

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

That's a lot of Jews. You don't have to be a practicing member of the faith to be a Jew.

#37 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Who are all the Jewish kids going to look up to now? Side note: One of my friends played summer league games with Ryan Braun's brother. Apparently, he's more of Jewish descent than actually Jewish. He just goes along with all of it.

How about a Jew who hasn't had the entitlements, the fame, the absurd amount of money, the amount of butt that someone who excels at sports receives but actually works to make the world a better place, like Shai Agassi or Elena Kagan? Somewhere, someway, society has equated excellent athleticism to excellent character. It's not true. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Braun said I realize now that I made some mistakes and am willing to accept the consequences.

What does that mean? You didn't know you were taking something illegal before and now you know? Lol

Your right, it is a joke.  He lied out his ass. and found a loop hole last time but this year they had him, so he cut a deal.  Braun to me, is the same as the poster boy for cheating ARod.  Makes me wonder, if AROD's  strained quad is really just a way to buy time until his deal is worked out.

@mikeghg

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

That's a lot of Jews. You don't have to be a practicing member of the faith to be a Jew.

Just adding some commentary, that's all. Most non-practicing Jews wouldn't be attending as many Jewish events like a White House Hannukah celebration.

@levineps

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Ya know, that was my first thought too..We tribesman need a hero, dammit!!!

He should have called Walter White, he'd have never gotten caught!

Sandy Koufax, Hank Greenberg, Shawn Green, Brad Ausmus, Scott Feldman, Danny Valencia,  Rod Carew?

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=