• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Brewers’ Braun suspended for rest of season, according to MLB. Effective immediately.

#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Whoa. I honestly didn't think it would happen. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

ESPN's running a statement where he sounds like he's accepting the suspension, too.

Wow.

@DJ_McCann

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Braun said I realize now that I made some mistakes and am willing to accept the consequences.

What does that mean? You didn't know you were taking something illegal before and now you know? Lol

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Braun said I realize now that I made some mistakes and am willing to accept the consequences.

What does that mean? You didn't know you were taking something illegal before and now you know? Lol

He's saying, "I settled out of court, because the evidence was strong enough for MLB to kick me out for as long as they want."

It will be very interesting to see if everyone follows that route. Either the evidence involved is stronger than anyone really thought or there has been some unbelievable pressure brought on the players.

@DJ_McCann

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Holy crap.  Guess something did come of this, I was strongly doubting it ever would.

Huge news, really.  I hope no Orioles get caught up in this.

#7 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Milwaukee being out of the race already probably has something to do with him not appealing. I could see the rest of the guys being suspended starting the 2014 season. Edit: and he's hurt. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Milwaukee being out of the race already probably has something to do with him not appealing. I could see the rest of the guys being suspended starting the 2014 season. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I don't think he'd accept the suspension and not appeal just because the Brewers aren't in the race.  It's because he knows he can't change the verdict and probably he got away with less of a punishment because he didn't appeal.

I'm pretty shocked by this.  Really didn't think the Biogenesis stuff was going anywhere.  Not as surprised that MLB tried to suspend Braun or the others involved, but really shocked that he didn't fight it.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

Rosenthal also tweeted that Braun will lose over $3M. Suspended without pay.

#10 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

What a scumbag. Not as bad as Lance Armstrong but he called out a few people for not believing him.

#11 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Braun will make $21M a year through 2020. I'd say it was worth it. If they want to really make changes then they need to give teams the ability to void contracts after a positive test. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#12 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's funny listening to the discussion on ESPN.

Curt Schilling:  "He cheated.  He lied.  He's a liar"

Barry Larkin:  "I, uh, need to see more evidence.  I don't see how this suspension can happen.  I need to see more proof.  I want a precedent set.  We're talking about a HOF player.  Blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah."

Yeah Barry you keep believing Braun didn't do anything.

• Oriole85 likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Braun will make $21M a year through 2020. I'd say it was worth it. If they want to really make changes then they need to give teams the ability to void contracts after a positive test. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That contract doesn't start until 2016 (aside from the $10M signing bonus paid incrementally from 2012-2016).  But your point remains a good one, if teams could void contracts if a player tested positive (though Braun still hasn't had a valid positive test announced publicly), I think that would be a major deterrent.  50 or 100 game suspensions are more of an incentive to try and conceal than a deterrent to not use in the first place.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

What a scumbag. Not as bad as Lance Armstrong but he called out a few people for not believing him.

Lance takes the cake, this is a very LA-like move to discredit everyone else and then be proven a fraud.

@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

I wonder if Milwaukee wishes it had tried to sign Fielder long-term instead of Braun. This will hurt them even more as a small market team than with the Yanks and Aroid.

@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's funny listening to the discussion on ESPN.

Curt Schilling:  "He cheated.  He lied.  He's a liar"

Barry Larkin:  "I, uh, need to see more evidence.  I don't see how this suspension can happen.  I need to see more proof.  I want a precedent set.  We're talking about a HOF player.  Blah blah blah.  Blah blah blah."

Can you say delusional?

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Rosenthal also tweeted that Braun will lose over $3M. Suspended without pay.

If that's all he loses (which I have no reason to believe right now he'll lose more), that's really a small price to pay.

@levineps

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Your paraphrase and your conclusion aren't exactly the same thing.  He can be dubious of the process that led to MLB suspending him and Braun agreeing not to fight it without thinking that Braun is completely clean.

I don't know if that's exactly what he's saying or not, but being unhappy with this current scenario of suspensions isn't the same as saying you think all of these guys are clean.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,067 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I wonder if Milwaukee wishes it had tried to sign Fielder long-term instead of Braun. This will hurt them even more as a small market team than with the Yanks and Aroid.

How will this hurt them?  Aside from not having him (or having to pay him) this year when they aren't contending anyways, nothing has changed for them.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't think he'd accept the suspension and not appeal just because the Brewers aren't in the race.  It's because he knows he can't change the verdict and probably he got away with less of a punishment because he didn't appeal.

I'm pretty shocked by this.  Really didn't think the Biogenesis stuff was going anywhere.  Not as surprised that MLB tried to suspend Braun or the others involved, but really shocked that he didn't fight it.

Agreed, it just doesn't mean much for Milwaukee other than they get to save some dough.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=