2297 replies to this topic

#1921 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 12:56 PM

Joe Bussard.  I'd never heard of him, even though he lived in Frederick, but he apparently had the greatest collection of 78 records in the world, all kept in his basement.  He also ran his own record label for a while (which only released 78's, all cut by hand), while also running a pirate radio station, all from his basement in Frederick.  It sounds like he was a fascinating guy.

Here are a few articles about him from the City Paper, but there are a lot more.  Here's a story about one of his greatest finds.

Mostly, Bussard just followed his instincts and whatever luck came his way.

Once he was pumping gas in a small coal town in southwest Virginia, refueling for the long ride back up Interstate 81 to Maryland. He asked the attendant about old records, and the man told him there was a hardware store with racks of them: Store stock, thought Bussard to himself, as he roared across the mountain.

“So we go into this little coal town which the highway had bypassed. It was dead. And we walk into the store, and it was like going back into the 1920s - old metal tile ceilings with designs and big ol’ round bulb lights hanging down. I went in back and found the owner, this short little guy, and he said, ‘Yeah, they’re upstairs,’ and we got on this freight elevator that moved about a tenth of a tenth of tenth of a mile per hour. I thought we’d never get up to the second floor - a snail crawling up the wall could have beaten us up there.

Well, we got finally got up there, and there was a balcony that ran the whole length of the store. You could walk out along there, and halfway out was a shelf of records - 5,000 records in the shelf - store stock, never been played. I just about shit. The sleeves were all black and dirty from coal soot, sticking out. So I reached up in the far left-hand top row, six rows high. The first one I pulled out was ‘Sobbin’ Blues’ by King Oliver on Okeh - absolutely new - at least a $400 record. The next one I pulled out was ‘Jack Ass Blues’ on Vocalion by the Dixie Syncopators. New. ‘Dead Man Blues’ by Oliver. Mint.

It was heavy on jazz, some blues; most of the country had been sold. I went through there - I was so nervous I had to pinch myself. O my God. There were Paramounts, Ma Rainey Bluebirds, Brunswick 7000s, Kansas City Stompers, and Jabbo Smith, you name it! I picked ’em out, four big stacks, each about 4-and-a-half feet tall, and carried ’em downstairs - it took me about a half-hour - and put ’em on a table, which is leaning from all the weight. ‘What do you want for ’em?’ I said. ‘How bout $100 for the whole works?’ The old guy takes his hands out of his pockets, and the coal dust goes flying. He says, ‘Take ’em out of here!’ I was so high when I went out of that store I could have floated.”

Joe Bussard, Obsessive Collector of Rare Records, Dies at 86 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Desperate Man Blues - Washington City Paper

Remembering Joe Bussard - Washington City Paper

• mdrunning likes this

#1922 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 06:54 PM

Pro Football Hall of Famer Charlie Trippi, 100, who helped lead the then-Chicago Cardinals to their only NFL title in 1947. He is still the only NFL Hall of Famer with at least 1,000 receiving, rushing and passing yards.

Trippi had the distinction of being the oldest living Hall of Famer. Now that honor belongs to former NFL referee Art McNally, 97, who is one month older than Marv Levy.

• Old Man likes this

#1923 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 09:24 PM

Jules Bass, of Rankin and Bass.

#1924 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 October 2022 - 04:43 PM

Former Georgia football coach Vince Dooley, 90. Until last season, Dooley was the last UGA coach to win a national championship, in 1980. He was there on the field in January to celebrate the 2021 team's title.

#1925 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:42 PM

Jerry Lee Lewis.

#1926 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 12:46 AM

Jerry Lee Lewis.

Great balls of fire!

#1927 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 November 2022 - 01:22 PM

Adam Zimmer, son of Mike Zimmer.

Adam was a Bengals assistant and only 38 years old.  Way too young.  RIP Adam.

@mikeghg

#1928 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 November 2022 - 01:14 PM

HOF punter Ray Guy  was 72 years old.  RIP

@mikeghg

#1929 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 01:57 PM

HOF punter Ray Guy  was 72 years old.  RIP

The only HOF punter.

I love the Madden quote. Ray was a football player that punted.

• mdrunning likes this

#1930 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 07:46 PM

Still the only punter taken in the first round of the draft. The Raiders selected him with the 23rd overall pick.

#1931 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 09:19 PM

Still the only punter taken in the first round of the draft. The Raiders selected him with the 23rd overall pick.

That’s a record that should never be broken.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1932 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 12:15 PM

Dave Butz, 72.  A great DT on some pretty good Washington defenses under Richie Pettibone.  Had the good fortune of meeting him once.  A huge man who was seemed to be a gentle giant when I met him.

• Mike B likes this

#1933 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 06:43 AM

https://tasteofcount...cook-dead-dies/

#1934 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 01:05 PM

https://www.tmz.com/...ies-watermelon/

816e94b845cf4d8ca03c24d4f85586b8_md.jpg

#1935 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 03:28 PM

I loved Gallagher as a kid, and even stumbled across some of his old specials on Amazon Prime within the last year. 

Damn, rough year for comics. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1936 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 06:06 PM

Kevin Conroy at 66: https://www.cnn.com/...-cec/index.html

You could make a solid argument that he was the best Batman.  I know I was excited when they got him to do the Arkham series of games.

#1937 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:21 AM

Clash founding member Keith Levene, 65, of complications from liver cancer.

#1938 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:00 PM

Jason David Frank aka the Green Ranger

#1939 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 08:14 PM

Although obviously not a recent death, today marks the 59th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

#1940 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:46 PM

Mickey Kuhn, 90, the last credited surviving cast member of "Gone With the Wind." In the film, he played Beau Wilkes, the son of Ashley (Leslie Howard) and Melanie Wilkes (Olivia de Havilland).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=