2298 replies to this topic

#1961 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 December 2022 - 11:41 PM

Former Sports Illustrated journalist Grant Wahl, 48, while covering the World Cup in Qatar. I had forgotten, but before he began focusing exclusively on soccer, he also wrote about college basketball. One of his best known pieces was one he did on LeBron James while he was still in high school. Tributes have poured in from many notable sports journalists in the wake of his passing, many crediting him as a mentor. Stewart Mandel credited him as the inspiration for his weekly “Mailbag” on college football.

• russsnyder likes this

#1962 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 01:33 AM

Not recent, of course, but December 8 marked the 42nd anniversary of the murder of John Lennon.

(Chris, if this is in the wrong place, just delete it. No need to start a separate thread elsewhere or anything.)

#1963 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 07:57 AM

Former Sports Illustrated journalist Grant Wahl, 48, while covering the World Cup in Qatar. I had forgotten, but before he began focusing exclusively on soccer, he also wrote about college basketball. One of his best known pieces was one he did on LeBron James while he was still in high school. Tributes have poured in from many notable sports journalists in the wake of his passing, many crediting him as a mentor. Stewart Mandel credited him as the inspiration for his weekly “Mailbag” on college football.

Pretty sure he lived in Baltimore for awhile. Was very good.

#1964 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:47 PM

Pretty sure he lived in Baltimore for awhile. Was very good.

I just discovered his wife earned a Master's at JHU School of Public Health the same time I was working there (and was a post-doctoral fellow there after I'd left).  When she was there as a student was also when she and Wahl were married, so makes sense he would have lived there.

#1965 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 04:09 PM

Former Sports Illustrated journalist Grant Wahl, 48, while covering the World Cup in Qatar. I had forgotten, but before he began focusing exclusively on soccer, he also wrote about college basketball. One of his best known pieces was one he did on LeBron James while he was still in high school. Tributes have poured in from many notable sports journalists in the wake of his passing, many crediting him as a mentor. Stewart Mandel credited him as the inspiration for his weekly “Mailbag” on college football.

unbelievable.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1966 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:16 AM

Mike Leach ...just 61 years old.  I wanted him to get the Maryland job, the last 2 times it was open.   RIP.

@mikeghg

#1967 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:22 AM

Mike Leach ...just 61 years old.  I wanted him to get the Maryland job, the last 2 times it was open.   RIP.

I hate seeing people younger than me die. Of course, its sad for any death.

I was half expecting this, when I saw he was fighting for his life the other day.

• Mike B likes this

#1968 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:23 PM

On Leach

https://twitter.com/...ViMHO0cH8Q&s=19

#1969 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:58 PM

On Leach

https://twitter.com/...ViMHO0cH8Q&s=19

Chris Brown has a website? Why’d he write a whole article on Twitter?
@BSLMikeRandall

#1970 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:39 PM

The non-football stories I’ve read about Mike Leach today are the ones that have been the most enjoyable and interesting. Like this Twitter thread where he tells Kyle Bonagura that when he was in law school he played a weekly game of touch football (so I guess it’s kinda football related) with a group of guys that apparently included a serial killer.

https://twitter.com/...711375821914114

It's a shame he had to die in order to appreciate what a one-of-a-kind person he was.

#1971 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:12 PM

He was certainly one of the most fascinating and entertaining coaches in the game.  His clip about weddings made me laugh.

#1972 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 12:15 AM

Curt Simmons, 93, the last surviving member of the 1950 Philadelphia Phillies "Whiz Kids."

#1973 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 04:21 PM

Former Cincinnati Reds pitcher Tom Browning, 62. He threw a perfect game in 1988 and was a part of the Reds 1990 WS championship team.

#1974 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 10:12 AM

Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris, 72, of undisclosed causes. His death occurred just days before the anniversary of his "Immaculate Reception" against Oakland in the AFC divisional playoff on December 23, 1972.

https://youtu.be/dHIXFKrrUhA

#1975 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 December 2022 - 10:28 AM

RIP Franco!.  I met him and Lydell doing business with Parks Sausage CO, I think in the mid 90's.  They had purchased the company and made the rounds at a lot of Food Shows.  He seemed like a good guy.

@mikeghg

#1976 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 10:47 AM

RIP Franco!.  I met him and Lydell doing business with Parks Sausage CO, I think in the mid 90's.  They had purchased the company and made the rounds at a lot of Food Shows.  He seemed like a good guy.

Most people figured the Steelers would take Mitchell in that 1972 draft since he had much better collegiate numbers than Harris at Penn State. Steeler coach Chuck Noll reportedly wanted Robert Newhouse over Harris, but team president Dan Rooney persuaded him otherwise. Interesting that both Mitchell and Harris didn't go until the second round of that draft.

#1977 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 11:27 AM

Wow, and there is/was supposed to be a ceremony to retire his jersey at Saturday’s game.

#1978 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

Wow, and there is/was supposed to be a ceremony to retire his jersey at Saturday’s game.

Friday would have been the 50th anniversary of his famous catch. That's why I'm thinking Harris's death must have been sudden and not a result of chronic poor health. Otherwise the Steelers wouldn't have planned the ceremony in the manner that they did.

There were actually two memorable games on that Saturday. After the Steelers stunned the Raiders, Dallas pulled off a miraculous comeback later that day in San Francisco in the NFC divisional playoff. Trailing 21-3 in the second quarter, and 28-13 midway through the fourth, Dallas scored 17 straight points to stun the Niners, 30-28.

#1979 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 21 December 2022 - 07:19 PM

Apologies, but I just realized Stuart Margolin passed away last week at 82. 

He absolutely nailed the part of Angel Martin (The Rockford Files). 

RIP. 

• Mike B likes this

#1980 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 01:09 PM

Another victim of cancer, dies way too young.

https://www.tmz.com/...nning-back-nfl/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=