2281 replies to this topic

#1901 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:08 PM

If you wanna really get confused add some Brits to your family.  My brother-in-law is British Army.  He's utterly normal in every possible way except he's absolutely glued to every piece of news about the royal family.  Has a photo of the Queen in his house.  Not with the Queen, just a portrait.  I'll probably have to send him a condolence card after today.

Its decidedly less dumb than the Kardashians, there is at least some purpose in terms of national pride and a symbol of making sacrifices for the nation.  But the paparazzi aspect of it, much like the state of celebrity here, is utterly baffling to me.

A guy in my fire academy class was also British Army. He was dead serious about wanting to take the day off from the academy (think boot camp, you don't get days off), when the Royal Wedding happened. The Kate Middleton one. Like he wanted to be glued to the TV all day to watch it unfold. He tried to get a day off, he tried to ask if he could come in but watch on TV in a classroom in lieu of doing fire training. He wasn't joking. To the point they actually had to tell him, if you don't show up, don't come back. I think, maybe, he eventually got over it. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1902 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,272 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:27 PM

A guy in my fire academy class was also British Army. He was dead serious about wanting to take the day off from the academy (think boot camp, you don't get days off), when the Royal Wedding happened. The Kate Middleton one. Like he wanted to be glued to the TV all day to watch it unfold. He tried to get a day off, he tried to ask if he could come in but watch on TV in a classroom in lieu of doing fire training. He wasn't joking. To the point they actually had to tell him, if you don't show up, don't come back. I think, maybe, he eventually got over it. 

I seem to recall back in my school days learning about a war we fought some years back so that we didn't have to care about wedding ceremonies a whole ocean away. But I wasn't the best student, so maybe I got it wrong.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1903 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:32 PM

Don't click on this if you are really broken up about the Queen's passing or you're otherwise prudish. Do click on it if you want to laugh.

https://twitter.com/...HUJN8cppPg&s=19
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1904 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:42 AM

Don't click on this if you are really broken up about the Queen's passing or you're otherwise prudish. Do click on it if you want to laugh.

Lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1905 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 01:21 PM

"You can't both be stiff at the same time, that's the rule."

This one won Twitter.

#1906 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:22 PM

Iconic news anchor Bernard Shaw, 82, of "pneumonia unrelated to CO-VID," according to his family.

#1907 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:18 AM

Six-time National League stolen base champion Maury Wills, 89. Despite his impressive resume over a 14-year career, Wills has never been elected into the Hall of Fame.

#1908 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:14 PM

John Hartman, 72, co-founder and drummer for the Doobie Brothers. No cause of death was immediately given.

#1909 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:38 PM

Coolio, 59.  Heart attack is what they're saying for the moment.

Gangsters Paradise is a classic.

#1910 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:43 PM

Coolio, 59. Heart attack is what they're saying for the moment.

Gangsters Paradise is a classic.

Fantastic Voyage was every other video that Summer.

#1911 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:05 AM

Six-time National League stolen base champion Maury Wills, 89. Despite his impressive resume over a 14-year career, Wills has never been elected into the Hall of Fame.

Maury was born in DC too.

He had a nice but short career by HOF standards.

Total career WAR of 39.6 is not going to get you into the HOF.

#1912 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 09:50 AM

Country singer-songwriter Loretta Lynn, 90, at her home in Hurricane Mills, TN.

#1913 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 October 2022 - 01:31 PM

Country singer-songwriter Loretta Lynn, 90, at her home in Hurricane Mills, TN.

I am not a big country music fan, but I was in Nashville on business, and one of our customers took us to dinner and then to a show where Lynn performed.   The lady could put on a show.

RIP. to the Coal Miners daughter.

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#1914 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 October 2022 - 12:48 PM

Jim Redmond, you might ask who's that ( I forgot the name as well), but I'm sure you will remember what he's known for.   Helping his son finish his 400 meter race at the '92 Olympics.  This is one of those all time great sports moments that I'll never get tired of seeing.

• Hooded Viper, Mike B and mdrunning like this

#1915 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 02:39 PM

Angela Lansbury.

#1916 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:26 PM

Murder she wrote, is one of my wife's favorite shows.  She still watches the syndicated shows.

@mikeghg

#1917 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 12:43 PM

Robbie Coltrane, 72.  Most famous for playing Hagrid, but I remember Valentin Zukovsky from Goldeneye too.

https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-63261204

#1918 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:08 PM

Bruce Sutter, HOF and Cy Young award reliever.  He was 69.  He had one of the best runs a reliever ever had.

@mikeghg

#1919 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:37 PM

I remember watching this, still bummed the O's couldn't sweep that 4-game series against Milwaukee to win the AL East, but was glad to see the Cards win. And at least they would go on to win it all the next season.

Funny to watch now and see all the security dogs amongst the sea of fans....a lot of good they did deterring people from rushing the field.  :lol:

#1920 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:15 PM

Sutter set a then-record for arbitration awards following his 1979 Cy Young season when he won a $700,000 salary from the Cubs. Sutter actually wanted a long-term deal to stay in Chicago, but the Cubs weren't interested and his arbitration became a bellwether for future arbitration cases. Suddenly the best relief pitcher was worth as much as the best position player. His case sent ripples throughout the industry as other players began looking to shoot the moon in arbitration.

Interestingly, MLB's counter-argument with Sutter was presented by Andy MacPhail, who would go on to become a well-respected GM. Even though baseball lost the case, Sutter's agents called MacPhail's presentation the best management case they had ever seen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=