#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm wondering if will see a change in tune from him today or next few. I'm surprised he's not even enrolled in community college to add leverage.

The last two years, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman said the right things on draft night. Only to change their tune shortly after being drafted. After Dylan talked about looking forward to being in the same rotation as his brother, he said he could go against him. And also enrolled in community college in addition to his original four-year commitment to add some leverage. Denver said it was 50/50 whether he'd sign with the O's (it wasn't). 

Gausman talked about looking forward to going to Baltimore but then said he could see himself going back to LSU and how it was a tough decision.

@levineps

#42 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Welcome to contention. As long as we're contending, our 1st rounders will be projects. 

@dandrews66

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Welcome to contention. As long as we're contending, our 1st rounders will be projects. 

Yeah, a little too strong a word choice, but right basic idea. Once you get out of the top 10-15 this is just what pitchers look like. They aren't going to be Bundy or Gausman, like Tucker said. They are going to take some work, and you just hope that the one you pick the work pays off.

Way too early to pass judgement, and don't take it when someone who follows the draft closely says, oh I wouldn't have gone that way with this pick. That is fine, because there are like 20 different ways you could go that are all about the same at the end of the day. Don't take it as a slight towards that kid, Harvey could end up a great pitcher in the end, he's got a focused mindset, that's for sure, but you are talking about nitpicking tiny differences in this draft, and everyone is going to have a different preference.

For example, Jon liked a college hitter at that spot, and I liked a HS LHP both of them went within 8 picks or so of our spot. Nothing wrong with any of the approaches, just comes down to preference at these spots because the talent levels are all pretty close.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sports Illustrated: http://sportsillustr...f5_a3&eref=sihp

"Using a nearly straight up delivery, Harvey fires a low-90s fastball which can touch the mid to upper-90s; he adds an inconsistent 11-to-5 curve at 74-76 mph and dabbles with a low-80s change up. He works the fastball, buzzing it in on a hitter's hands or running it away on the outside corner. Harvey will need to correct a tendency to throw across his body and his mechanics could benefit from additional lower-half leg drive."

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Just showed Duq and Rajsich introducing them to the media on the O's Pre-game on MASN... Harvey seriously looks 12 years old. Unreal how young he looks. Great attitudes from both he and Heart though. I'm excited to see how they develop. Both are headed to the rookie league in Sarasota according to Duq, and then will go to the Winter Ball instructional league in the off-season.

#46 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Just showed Duq and Rajsich introducing them to the media on the O's Pre-game on MASN... Harvey seriously looks 12 years old. Unreal how young he looks. Great attitudes from both he and Heart though. I'm excited to see how they develop. Both are headed to the rookie league in Sarasota according to Duq, and then will go to the Winter Ball instructional league in the off-season.

AS soon as he turns 9, he's going to be awesome!

Hysterical how young the kid looks.

@beginthebegin71

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

So can he just have TJ as well, get it out of the way early?
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

MASN: Minor League notes on Harvey etc
http://www.masnsport...ry-kendall.html

#49 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Glad to hear he was sitting 92-94... one would think that as he matures and puts on some weight, that 92-94 can gain a couple more MPH. If he can sit mid 90's and develop the curve and change a bit more, we might have another top arm to add to Gausman, Bundy, and Rodriguez.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Season GCL: 4 games, 10 ip, 1.80 era, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 bb's, 12 k's

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

8/14: 3.1 ip, 4 hits, 0 er, 0 bb's, 6 k's

#52 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nice to see him continuing to do well. It's only the GCL but it's a lot better than seeing him struggle.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

MASN: Harvey talks Aberdeen debut
http://www.masnsport...t-tomorrow.html

#54 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

BSL: Hunter Harvey Debuts in Aberdeen

http://baltimorespor...ts-in-aberdeen/

Luke, Kevin and I saw the Orioles first round selection in Aberdeen last night. You definitely want to check out what he did.

• BSLChrisStoner, JeremyStrain and Greg Pappas like this

#55 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Is Hunter Harvey already a top 25 prospect in baseball? It's aggressive, but sources are blowing this kid up and I'm on board. #rig

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#56 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Is Hunter Harvey already a top 25 prospect in baseball? It's aggressive, but sources are blowing this kid up and I'm on board. #rig

Opening Day starter!

@DJ_McCann

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks2h

Wow. Do people still want to criticize this pick?

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Top 25 talk seems really premature. This is a polished HS pitcher. Dominating at Aberdeen with under 40 pro innings isn't enough to put him in the Top 25. Awesome that  he is off to such a good start though.

#59 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Let's slow down the hype train. This kid's really talented and has a ton of raw ingredients to work with, but let's not anoint him the next savior quite yet. The savior talk can commence five starts into his first full pro season. Duh.

@BSLLukeJackson

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Top 25 talk seems really premature. This is a polished HS pitcher. Dominating at Aberdeen with under 40 pro innings isn't enough to put him in the Top 25. Awesome that  he is off to such a good start though.

This was my thought, but if scouts who have not only seen the results, but seen his mechanics/stuff, etc. think that, I'll yield to them. I doubt he'll wind up top 25... but even top 50, this early, would be really awesome. I'm thrilled with him so far. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=