@BSLMikeRandall

#522 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

That's my opinion. Too many other options to easily remove, even if you have little confidence in Harvey ever staying healthy or being good enough.

I definitely agree I'd rather have Harvey than Krehbiel, Kriske, probably several others.

I would also imagine that they already pretty much know exactly who they want to protect and who they plan to release in the next few weeks before the Rule 5 date. Some of those guys might be gone by then anyway. Maybe they already knew he'd be gone so why wait. Or maybe they thought they could sneak him off the roster without getting claimed (seems like a few weeks ago might have been better for this though before all the FAs went off rosters). Maybe they just thought no one would claim a guy that only pitches 10 innings a year (and they were almost right if he got all the way to the Giants). I bet they would have preferred to keep him in the organization, but it didn't work out.

#523 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:01 PM

I felt exposing Pop was a mistake. This feels like another.
  • makoman likes this

#524 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:29 PM

That's my opinion. Too many other options to easily remove, even if you have little confidence in Harvey ever staying healthy or being good enough.

I won't complain about it because it's such a small scale mistake, but agree with the comparison to losing Pop.  Just an unnecessary risk being taken.  Who are we so concerned with protecting that we tried to slip these guys through unnoticed?

#525 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:36 PM

Another awesome first round pick!

You know I love any opportunity to point out how unfruitful draft picks are in baseball, so thanks for the opportunity!

Harvey was the 22nd pick in 2013.  There have been 57 #22 overall picks in MLB history.  Harvey has the 23rd highest career WAR amongst #22 overall picks in MLB history!  A bit unfair to compare him to some recent picks, he's ahead of everyone drafted after him (though two of those guys have played and accrued fewer WAR than Harvey), but even amongst the 49 picks from the advent of the draft through the year Harvey was drafted (2013), he's in the upper half.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#526 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:41 PM

Nowhere near the upside of Pop. Its also a different risk the Os took. Only so many teams were going to take a R5 selection and if he failed in Mia he wouldve beem sent back to us. All 30 had a chance at Harvey. Os just dont care about Harveys ability. He'll likely be exposed again before the start of 2022.

#527 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

I completely agree that Harvey is below the threshold of being important to care about.  But the annoying part is that they will keep many guys that are even lower and less important than Harvey is by any measure.

It'd be like if they had offered a qualifying offer to Matt Harvey. Spending $17M on him wouldn't matter at all.  It changes nothing.  But why are you doing it?  Don't think the scale of that hypothetical comparison matches, but the general "but...why?" of it is similar.

#528 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 06:47 PM

Also, it's not important, but I'd say much higher upside than Pop, but much lower change of reaching it.  

#529 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

I completely agree that Harvey is below the threshold of being important to care about.  But the annoying part is that they will keep many guys that are even lower and less important than Harvey is by any measure.

It'd be like if they had offered a qualifying offer to Matt Harvey. Spending $17M on him wouldn't matter at all.  It changes nothing.  But why are you doing it?  Don't think the scale of that hypothetical comparison matches, but the general "but...why?" of it is similar.

I just disagree because you're going too far, that would have suggested that they're completely idiots. No one in their right mind would give Matt Harvey a qualifying offer, afford it or not. 

If Hunter Harvey would have been claimed by Arizona or Texas that would have suggested maybe the move was crazy. I'm not exactly sure how the order works at this point in time but at least 20 teams, many of them bad just like the O's and probably all of them right now with 40 man space, didn't claim Harvey, which tells me the move is not completely crazy. We can certainly quibble over it, but not a pitchforks to the warehouse type of move like a Matt Harvey qualifying offer would be. 

#530 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:07 PM

Fear not, for we still have Brooks Kriske, boys!

#531 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:23 PM

Fear not, for we still have Brooks Kriske, boys!

And Spenser Watkins and Joey Khrebiel and Issac Matson.

@mikeghg

#532 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:25 PM

And Spenser Watkins and Joey Khrebiel and Issac Matson.

Watkins outrighted to AAA today too.

#533 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:27 PM

Also, it's not important, but I'd say much higher upside than Pop, but much lower change of reaching it.  

Yep a healthy Harvey likely far surpasses Pop.

@mikeghg

#534 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:28 PM

Watkins outrighted to AAA today too.

Missed that,

How low can they go on the 40.

@mikeghg

#535 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

How low can they go on the 40.

Let's see how many guys they cross 01 DEC with on the 40.

#536 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:47 PM

You know I love any opportunity to point out how unfruitful draft picks are in baseball, so thanks for the opportunity!

Harvey was the 22nd pick in 2013. There have been 57 #22 overall picks in MLB history. Harvey has the 23rd highest career WAR amongst #22 overall picks in MLB history! A bit unfair to compare him to some recent picks, he's ahead of everyone drafted after him (though two of those guys have played and accrued fewer WAR than Harvey), but even amongst the 49 picks from the advent of the draft through the year Harvey was drafted (2013), he's in the upper half.

Where would he rank among 399 picks between 19 and 25? I feel like the pick number itself, unless it’s the 1st overall, isn’t a good barometer. Especially in the era of things like drafting under slot. He could be the 23rd best #22 pick, but if the O’s picked him 21st or 23rd, he could be the very best, or very worst in those slots. At that part of the draft the pick number is pretty arbitrary, IMO
@BSLMikeRandall

#537 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:08 PM

Where would he rank among 399 picks between 19 and 25? I feel like the pick number itself, unless it’s the 1st overall, isn’t a good barometer. Especially in the era of things like drafting under slot. He could be the 23rd best #22 pick, but if the O’s picked him 21st or 23rd, he could be the very best, or very worst in those slots. At that part of the draft the pick number is pretty arbitrary, IMO

27th overall at #19

T-24th overall at #20

20th overall at #21

23rd overall at #22 (this is actually him)

15th overall at #23

T-14th overall at #24

T-20th overall at #25

• Mike in STL likes this

#538 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

Im not saying we arent entitled to an opinion but we really dont have much info to be questioning why we are keeping certain guys on the 40 over him.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#539 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 03:02 AM

I get it.

The Orioles have prospects that they need to protect.

Harvey seemingly has good stuff, but he can't stay healthy and is arbitration eligible next year.

I'm not wringing my hands over this decision.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#540 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 07:07 AM

Im not saying we arent entitled to an opinion but we really dont have much info to be questioning why we are keeping certain guys on the 40 over him.

Absolutely everyone who is commenting on this has stated that this isn't a big deal.  It's just odd to dump Harvey when there are 9 open roster spots plus multiple guys currently on the roster who seem even more hopeless or useless than Harvey.

• dude likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=