#481 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

LOL. Whatever. Pedro is spot on about you.

Sorry you can't deal with simple logic.

#482 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

We are talking about this in the context of the list so there's no point in talking about a bench player. And you said that going out and playing a round of golf is tougher than playing a game of basketball. You said that in the context of that individual day so long term effects are not part of that equation. I think you're overstating the long term effects of golf as well and understating them for basketball. Most golfers don't have the injury issues that Tiger has had. At least not to my knowledge.

1) I was talking in general terms.
2) long term effects are in the equation when you whine about golf not being a sport...all I am saying is that while I are the athleticism isn't there, there are other aspects of it that make it a demanding sport.

In other words, as you belittle it and hold the pothead Olympics on a pedestal, I am just trying to say that there is more to golf than a fat guy standing there with a beer and cigar, hitting a ball and then jumping into his golf cart to go retrieve that ball. I think you believe that's all there is to it. I don't think you get the mental side of it...the practicing...the wear and tear on your body from doing something unnatural, etc....

I think if you went and shot 100 jumpers and then hit 100 golf balls, you would be more worn out from the golf balls and would be feeling it a lot more the next day.

I think people see guys running up and down the court and assume its more demanding....yet many players stand around, don't play defense, don't bang around inside, etc....there are plenty of guys that stand in a spot and wait for the ball to be thrown to them. That's not demanding on your body at all...and if it is, it's because you are a wuss and can't take a little running. That's what I'm saying. Very few guys are putting there bodies on the line, offensively and defensively. Very few guys are playing tons of minutes, producing on both ends, etc....it's just not happening.

#483 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,786 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

If very few guys who play high level basketball are playing hard, why do they almost all look completely cut?

The average collegiate basketball player is in far better shape than the average pro golfer. Because they have to be.

I can't believe this debate is still going on.

#484 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

If very few guys who play high level basketball are playing hard, why do they almost all look completely cut?

The average collegiate basketball player is in far better shape than the average pro golfer. Because they have to be.

I can't believe this debate is still going on.

I tried to deflect it to harp on some other lists...didn't work.

@JeremyMStrain

#485 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

If very few guys who play high level basketball are playing hard, why do they almost all look completely cut?The average collegiate basketball player is in far better shape than the average pro golfer. Because they have to be.I can't believe this debate is still going on.

Who is debating the in shape part? And btw, I'm not even sure that this is accurate but even if it is, no one is saying that's not true.

#486 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

2) long term effects are in the equation when you whine about golf not being a sport...all I am saying is that while I are the athleticism isn't there, there are other aspects of it that make it a demanding sport.

In other words, as you belittle it and hold the pothead Olympics on a pedestal, I am just trying to say that there is more to golf than a fat guy standing there with a beer and cigar, hitting a ball and then jumping into his golf cart to go retrieve that ball. I think you believe that's all there is to it. I don't think you get the mental side of it...the practicing...the wear and tear on your body from doing something unnatural, etc....

I think if you went and shot 100 jumpers and then hit 100 golf balls, you would be more worn out from the golf balls and would be feeling it a lot more the next day.

I think people see guys running up and down the court and assume its more demanding....yet many players stand around, don't play defense, don't bang around inside, etc....there are plenty of guys that stand in a spot and wait for the ball to be thrown to them. That's demanding on your body at all...and if it is, it's because you are a wuss and can't take a little running. That's what I'm saying. Very few guys are putting there bodies on the line, offensively and defensively. Very few guys are playing tons of minutes, producing on both ends, etc....it's just not happening.

I have done both and one day of Snow Boarding is a lot more grueling on the body then one day of golf.  Your arguments don't hold up.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#487 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I have done both and one day of Snow Boarding is a lot more grueling on the body then one day of golf. Your arguments don't hold up.

We aren't talking about snowboarding...we are talking half pipe...huge difference.

#488 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Competitor for the 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Men's snowboarding Olympic Games Gold 2006 Torino Halfpipe Gold 2010 Vancouver Halfpipe Winter Dew Tour medal record Gold 2008 Breckenridge Slopestyle Gold 2008 Breckenridge Superpipe Gold 2009 Mt. Snow Slopestyle Gold 2009 Mt. Snow Superpipe Gold 2009 Northstar Slopestyle Gold 2009 Northstar Superpipe Winter X Games medal record Gold 2003 Aspen Slopestyle Gold 2003 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2004 Aspen Slopestyle Gold 2005 Aspen Slopestyle Gold 2006 Aspen Slopestyle Gold 2006 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2008 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2009 Aspen Slopestyle Gold 2009 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2010 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2011 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2012 Aspen Superpipe Gold 2013 Aspen Superpipe Silver 2002 Aspen Slopestyle Silver 2002 Aspen Superpipe Silver 2007 Aspen Superpipe Bronze 2007 Aspen Slopestyle Bronze 2008 Aspen Slopestyle TTR World Snowboard Tour record Gold 2007 Overall Silver 2008 Overall U.S. Snowboarding Grand Prix
medal record
Gold 2006 Overall X Games medal record Men's skateboarding Gold 2007 Los Angeles Vert Gold 2011 Los Angeles Vert Silver 2005 Los Angeles Vert Silver 2010 Los Angeles Vert Bronze 2008 Los Angeles Vert Dew Tour medal record Men's skateboarding Gold 2007 Vert Gold 2007 Vert Gold 2008

Think we are talking about it all. Slope style is snow boarding no ifs an;s and buts around that one Rob :)

#489 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

No...we are talking half pipe for the most part, when it comes to White.

Slope style is doing tricks. That's what we are talking about here.

#490 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

No...we are talking half pipe for the most part, when it comes to White.

Slope style is doing tricks. That's what we are talking about here.

Ok so now we are fragmenting the sports even further and ignoring parts of peoples careers and medals won. So I just want to go off of Tigers last 5 years he would not be on a top 1000 list.

Unless I am not understanding what you are saying? Are you saying Slope Style is not Snow Boarding or you just ignoring it because he is mostly known for his pipe work.

Maybe you don't know what Slope style course looks like here you go its a full downhill course that would be extra hard not just moguls.

http://www.radcollec...109-540x405.jpg

#491 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yes...it's a small downhill course where you do tricks. I get it.

And no, going down a mountain and doing flips for 20 seconds isn't the same as regular snowboarding.

#492 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

He's being different. He's taking that path less taken in not wanting to recognize golf as a top tier sport like the rest of the world. I get it, that's what hipsters do. I'm just not going to play his game.

Hipsters. Hah. Sorry, this just made me laugh, quite a bit actually. Not saying I agree with BNick or really getting in this argument, but this was a good line. :lol:

#493 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well, I was certainly right that having a "best athletes" series across multiple episodes would spur tons of debate. But never ye fear, I'm too big a guy to adequately pat myself on the back, so I'm good.

• mweb08 likes this

#494 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think people see guys running up and down the court and assume its more demanding....yet many players stand around, don't play defense, don't bang around inside, etc....there are plenty of guys that stand in a spot and wait for the ball to be thrown to them. That's not demanding on your body at all...and if it is, it's because you are a wuss and can't take a little running. That's what I'm saying. Very few guys are putting there bodies on the line, offensively and defensively. Very few guys are playing tons of minutes, producing on both ends, etc....it's just not happening.

I've never said that golf isn't a sport, or anything close to that.

If I'm belittling golf by pointing out the obvious, which is that it's not nearly as athletic as other many other sports, then I'll stand by that. I don't see that as belittling, though.

Your disdain for X games sports is extreme, pun intended. I love how I'm the one who is being attacked for being biased here.

It would be nice if you stopped insulting my intelligence with these "I think that's all you think golf is" statements. I've already said I've played a fair amount of golf, that I have walked courses, that it's very difficult, etc. It's just not very athletic, and the potential for developing long term injuries due to it being unnatural is irrelevant to how athletic it is.

It's funny that you're saying if they find basketball physically demanding due to the running, they're a wuss, but you have talked up walking a golf course.

Anyway, you're really underestimating what guys do on a basketball court.

In regards to shooting 100 jumpers vs hitting 100 golf balls, I don't know how that's relevant, but neither would wear me down at all or make me feel anything the next day. And I've been to the range plenty of times, I've even hit 100 or whatever number of balls and then walked a golf course. It wasn't difficult at all in terms of what we're talking about.

#495 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, I was certainly right that having a "best athletes" series across multiple episodes would spur tons of debate. But never ye fear, I'm too big a guy to adequately pat myself on the back, so I'm good.

Ha. But hey, this specific bit was my idea, you just inspired it by suggesting an ongoing series. ;)

#496 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Are we really still debating the athletic merits of basketball vs. golf?  This didn't die with "the world is flat vs. round"?

• MKlein76, mweb08 and Mackus like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#497 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,786 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Next week's debate:

Speedwalking versus Lacrosse

• Russ, mweb08 and KWebz like this

#498 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hipsters. Hah. Sorry, this just made me laugh, quite a bit actually. Not saying I agree with BNick or really getting in this argument, but this was a good line. :lol:

I absolutely believe Weber has an agenda in railing against the sport of golf. It obviously isn't just about athleticism. Again, he is picking and choosing when and how often to use "athleticism" in his rankings of athletes. He never got real technical about anything involving athleticism until he decided to bring up his reason for ranking Tiger so low.

#499 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Next week's debate:

Speedwalking versus Lacrosse

Don't sleep on speedwalking!

#500 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I absolutely believe Weber has an agenda in railing against the sport of golf. It obviously isn't just about athleticism. Again, he is picking and choosing when and how often to use "athleticism" in his rankings of athletes. He never got real technical about anything involving athleticism until he decided to bring up his reason for ranking Tiger so low.

I'm not railing on it. I brought up a rather obvious point imo. You want to call that railing while Rob takes way more blatant shots at the X games and while you ignore Shaun White?

I have no agenda and I cannot be anymore clear with my approach. All the other sports are all varying degrees of very athletic imo so I'm not going to concern myself with small, debatable differences; however, I will consider the difference when I consider it to be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=