538 replies to this topic

#461 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

This is where Weber is playing a little game in regards to athletes and "athleticism". Listen, golf is universally recognized as a legit sport. Its undoubtedly one of the top 6 or 7 sports in the world. Comparing it to bowling or driving is laughable. Bowling is pretty much considered a recreational activity though it takes some coordination and skill.  Automobile Racing, are you serious. "AUTO" is in the freaking name.

Semantically you could argue no baseball players should make your top 20 list of overall athletes because baseball is much more skill than raw athleticism of football, basketball, soccer, and some Olympic sports. Heck, quite possibly even snowboarding and skateboarding.  But obviously, Weber has baseball players in his top 20 lists. He has Bonds in his top 10.

He's being different. He's taking that path less taken in not wanting to recognize golf as a top tier sport like the rest of the world. I get it, that's what hipsters do. I'm just not going to play his game.

#462 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Also, for the purpose of this list, there's no reason to mention NBA players that don't play a lot or do much on the court (on offense at least, still need plenty of effort on D regardless).

We are talking in general terms.

If you want to say LeBron vs Tiger, I will give you LeBron there because he is one of the few players that hustles on both ends, plays physical and plays a ton of minutes....but Tiger will have long term effects of playing his sport vs LBJ as he grows older.

#463 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

This is where Weber is playing a little game in regards to athletes and "athleticism". Listen, golf is universally recognized as a legit sport. Its undoubtedly one of the top 6 or 7 sports in the world. Comparing it to bowling or driving is laughable. Bowling is pretty much considered a recreational activity though it takes some coordination and skill.  Automobile Racing, are you serious. "AUTO" is in the freaking name.

Semantically you could argue no baseball players should make your top 20 list of overall athletes because baseball is much more skill than raw athleticism of football, basketball, soccer, and some Olympic sports. Heck, quite possibly even snowboarding and skateboarding.  But obviously, Weber has baseball players in his top 20 lists. He has Bonds in his top 10.

He's being different. He's taken that path less taken in not wanting to recognize golf as a top tier sport like the rest of the world. I get it, that's what hipsters do. I'm just not going to play his game.

I agree that golf is superior to auto racing and bowling in terms of athleticism. But they are both considered sports by most, so the primary reason for not considering them is because you don't believe they're doing something that requires much athleticism, which I obviously agree with. And again, why no White for you?

I consider hand-eye coordination to be a substantial part of athleticism, and that's huge in baseball.

That's not at all what I'm doing and no, the world doesn't view golf as a top tier sport in terms of athleticism, but it is popular, which can be said for auto racing too, at least in this country and in some other parts of the world.

And yet, you have continued to play whatever game you claim I'm playing.

#464 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

We are talking in general terms.

If you want to say LeBron vs Tiger, I will give you LeBron there because he is one of the few players that hustles on both ends, plays physical and plays a ton of minutes....but Tiger will have long term effects of playing his sport vs LBJ as he grows older.

We are talking about this in the context of the list so there's no point in talking about a bench player. And you said that going out and playing a round of golf is tougher than playing a game of basketball. You said that in the context of that individual day so long term effects are not part of that equation. I think you're overstating the long term effects of golf as well and understating them for basketball. Most golfers don't have the injury issues that Tiger has had. At least not to my knowledge.

#465 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

On a sidenote, completely unrelated I thought you two would get a kick out of a friend of mine on FB having a link to your podcast posted on their wall by someone else they knew, none of them related to this board.

I hope it didn't say "Listen to this awful podcast." :lol:

#466 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Grand Prix, Hockey, and Soccer would dominate in the European world.  I doubt Tiger cracks the top ten in their lists.  I searched for lists like this all over the web and Tiger is as high as top 10 but mostly in the 20's to 30's  but that is of all time.  Deon Sanders is a person highly regarded in the top 5 of most lists I have seen.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#467 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I hope it didn't say "Listen to this awful podcast." :lol:

Ha, no, it was something about the O's, can't remember what though. Just thought it was interesting that people are listening/reading.

@JeremyMStrain

#468 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Ha, no, it was something about the O's, can't remember what though. Just thought it was interesting that people are listening/reading.

Yeah. Thanks for passing this along. We don't know how many people listen or hear of anyone listening other than people on here, so it's good to know that it somehow spread to some people off the board.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#469 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

I agree that golf is superior to auto racing and bowling in terms of athleticism. But they are both considered sports by most, so the primary reason for not considering them is because you don't believe they're doing something that requires much athleticism, which I obviously agree with. And again, why no White for you?

I consider hand-eye coordination to be a substantial part of athleticism, and that's huge in baseball.

That's not at all what I'm doing and no, the world doesn't view golf as a top tier sport in terms of athleticism, but it is popular, which can be said for auto racing too, at least in this country and in some other parts of the world.

And yet, you have continued to play whatever game you claim I'm playing.

Just admit you have a bias against golf because its considered a "rich" sport. No one without a bias would rank Tiger that low.

#470 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Just admit you have a bias against golf because its considered a "rich" sport. No one without a bias would rank Tiger that low.

Nobody without a bias for golf would rank him that high. 

#471 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Why can't it just be you like golf so you rank Tiger higher and I think golf is boring an not as athletic so I rank him lower. It doesn't have to be complicated, just a personal preference in sports and how they're valued.

#472 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

That has nothing to do with my ranking.

It's not about bias, it's about looking at the obvious gap in athleticism and trying to figure out what should be done with it.

I can say that you and Rob have a pro golf bias. Apparently an anti extreme sport bias as well.

#473 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Or better idea, no cross-sport lists. Apples to apples, golfers to golfers.

Golf:

1. Nicklaus

2. Tiger

3. Hogan

4. Palmer

5. Snead

@JeremyMStrain

#474 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Nobody without a bias for golf would rank him that high. 

How high is that exactly???

Whatever, I mean Weber doesn't even deny that Woods would be a Top 5 guy on the majority of peoples lists in America.

#475 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

That has nothing to do with my ranking.

It's not about bias, it's about looking at the obvious gap in athleticism and trying to figure out what should be done with it.

I can say that you and Rob have a pro golf bias. Apparently an anti extreme sport bias as well.

Pro golf bias??? Dude, youre the one in the freaking extreme minority. I guess 95% of Americans have a pro golf bias.

#476 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

Extreme Sports:

1. Tony Hawk

2. Mat Hoffman

3. Travis Pastrana (bonus points for being local)

4. Kelly Slater

5. Shaun White

@JeremyMStrain

#477 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Its just laughable. I think you or Rob said Nicklaus was #8 or #9 on the SportsCentury list in '99. You know, for every athlete in every sport for the past 100 years and Tiger is clearly #2 all time behind Jack. Yet, its a bias, a pro golf bias, to put him in the Top 10 of athletes who aren't football, basketball, baseball or Olympians over the last 34 years. Seriously??

#478 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Pro golf bias??? Dude, youre the one in the freaking extreme minority. I guess 95% of Americans have a pro golf bias.

You're a big golf fan right? So that would mean you have a bias. Pretty simple. No need to go all crazy.

#479 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

You're a big golf fan right? So that would mean you have a bias. Pretty simple. No need to go all crazy.

LOL. Whatever. Pedro is spot on about you.

#480 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Old white people love them some golf regarding SportsCentury, which isn't exactly the Bible of sports rankings either. Golf is mainstream. X Games isn't. Thus, it's ok to have White off the list, but not ok to have Woods low on it. Got it. It's also ok to have the best in MMA at the bottom of the list, but the best in golf? No way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=