#441 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

It is funny, but your ranking of Woods is just as laughable.

Not really... he's stated he just doesn't value the golfers as much. That's his take, it's his list, don't see what the big deal is.

#442 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Not really... he's stated he just doesn't value the golfers as much. That's his take, it's his list, don't see what the big deal is.

No different than Rob's take that golf is more grueling than basketball. When youre in the 1% with your opinion its often  laughable.

#443 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

No different than Rob's take that golf is more grueling than basketball. When your in the 1% with your opinion its often  laughable.

It's reasonably justified.  I dont' see it as proposterous or a Skip Bayless esque attention grab to spur conversation. He believes Golf just isn't on the same plane as the major other sports, and I don't think that's very unreasonable. I think it's actually higher level of thinking to question the status quo, than just go with the general populus that lumps golfers and tennis players in with basketball, football, baseball, hockey players, etc. MWeb stuck his neck out there, and I applaud him for that. I actually sort of tend to agree with him. I also agree with you, most would think it's ludicrous. But most people are ludicrous, so who gives a damn.

• mweb08 likes this

#444 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

It's reasonably justified.  I dont' see it as proposterous or a Skip Bayless esque attention grab to spur conversation. He believes Golf just isn't on the same plane as the major other sports, and I don't think that's very unreasonable. I think it's actually higher level of thinking to question the status quo, than just go with the general populus that lumps golfers and tennis players in with basketball, football, baseball, hockey players, etc. MWeb stuck his neck out there, and I applaud him for that. I actually sort of tend to agree with him. I also agree with you, most would think it's ludicrous. But most people are ludicrous, so who gives a damn.

Have you ever been shopping at one of the bigger outlets in the summer, or Arundel Mills? I feel like that is more walking and exertion than 18 holes is :)

@JeremyMStrain

#445 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Have you ever been shopping at one of the bigger outlets in the summer, or Arundel Mills? I feel like that is more walking and exertion than 18 holes is :)

Not lately, not with the way that place is trending... but yes... and I agree, it certainly is. It's like a huge octagonal maze there. Ridiculous.

#446 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the applause Chris!

And imagine that Branden, someone on this small site sort of tends to agree with my alleged 1% take. ;) Which makes at least two.

And based on what people have said, most have agreed with my reasoning. Not all agree with how much importance to place on that reasoning, though. Even though most on here didn't actually say about where they rank Tiger.

#447 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

He wasn't ranking him on  a list with  the other  major sports.

It was Bayless esque IMO. He went against the grain just to be different. He chose when to get real technical about the definition of an athlete. No different than Bayless getting real specific with numbers to back his crazier opinions

#448 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

He wasn't ranking him in a list with the other major sports.

It was Bayless esque IMO. He went against the grain just to be different. He chose when to get real technical about the definition of an athlete. No different than Bayless getting real specific with numbers to back his crazier opinions

Golf isn't on the same plane as any of the other sports that were mentioned throughout the whole process.

I'm not getting technical at all. It's just much less athletic imo. How is that technical? And if it is, well then aren't you and Rob doing that too with not considering bowlers, car drivers, etc? And what technicality is being used to not care if White makes the list, or to think he shouldn't be on it?

#449 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the applause Chris!

And imagine that Branden, someone on this small site sort of tends to agree with my alleged 1% take. ;) Which makes at least two.

And based on what people have said, most have agreed with my reasoning. Not all agree with how much importance to place on that reasoning, though. Even though most on here didn't actually say about where they rank Tiger.

Obviously, golfing isn't as physically grueling as basketball. Your in the 99% on that one. However, that is irrelevant to ranking Tiger 13th on the list that you did. That thread was allowed to get off topic and IMO allowed you to walk away unscathed  with such a ridiculous ranking.  Rob chose to compare golf physically to basketball for whatever reason and that let you off the hook..

#450 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Obviously, golfing isn't as physically grueling as basketball. Your in the 99% on that one. However, that is irrelevant to ranking Tiger 13th on the list that you did. That thread was allowed to get off topic and IMO allowed you to walk away unscathed with such a ridiculous ranking. Rob chose to compare golf physically to basketball for whatever reason and that let you off the hook..

Well at least you agree about Rob's golf and basketball comment.

I welcome any debate. And it's more than a 1% view on this board.

#451 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Whatever, I refuse to believe if you said, ignore Olympic athletes, basketball, baseball, and football players and give me 12 of the best athletes since 1979 that Tiger wouldn't have made 95%  of peoples list  in this country.

But now you'll come back with something like oh that's not in the 1% or that's not people all over the world. He'd still likely be in the top 75% of people around the world who'd would have a ton of soccer athletes on their list.

Im just not going to argue against such a contrarian opinion.

#452 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Whatever, I refuse to believe if you said, ignore Olympic athletes, basketball, baseball, and football players and give me 12 of the best athletes since 1979 that Tiger wouldn't have made 95% of peoples list in this country.

But now you'll come back with something like oh that's not in the 1% or that's not people all over the world. He'd still likely be in the top 75% of people around the world who'd would have a ton of soccer athletes on their list.

Im just not going to argue against such a contrarian opinion.

If a person doesn't have Tiger in the top 8 or so, they agree more with me than you and Rob.

And there continues to be no counter for my point about bowlers, car drivers, and White. You guys have a huge issue with my ranking of Tiger, but have no issue using the same logic to eliminate certain sports from consideration, and have no issue discounting White's sports even though he's arguably as dominant, if not more than Tiger.

#453 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

No different than Rob's take that golf is more grueling than basketball. When youre in the 1% with your opinion its often laughable.

I know a lot of people that agree with me though...can easily find more than agree with me than agree with Mike about Tiger....basketball just isnt a sport that takes a lot out of you IMO and, in the long run, most bball players don't suffer injuries that can last your lifetime.

Bball requires great endurance but most NbA players play less than 30 min a night and a lot of them aren't playing a physical style, moving without the ball, etc...

#454 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Obviously, golfing isn't as physically grueling as basketball. Your in the 99% on that one. However, that is irrelevant to ranking Tiger 13th on the list that you did. That thread was allowed to get off topic and IMO allowed you to walk away unscathed  with such a ridiculous ranking.  Rob chose to compare golf physically to basketball for whatever reason and that let you off the hook..

The comp only came in due to Mikes poor reasoning about Tiger being so low on his list.

#455 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

If a person doesn't have Tiger in the top 8 or so, they agree more with me than you and Rob.
And there continues to be no counter for my point about bowlers, car drivers, and White. You guys have a huge issue with my ranking of Tiger, but have no issue using the same logic to eliminate certain sports from consideration, and have no issue discounting White's sports even though he's arguably as dominant, if not more than Tiger.

The amount of people, worldwide, doing what Tiger does is way more. That's why I discount it.

#456 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I know a lot of people that agree with me though...can easily find more than agree with me than agree with Mike about Tiger....basketball just isnt a sport that takes a lot out of you IMO and, in the long run, most bball players don't suffer injuries that can last your lifetime.

Bball requires great endurance but most NbA players play less than 30 min a night and a lot of them aren't playing a physical style, moving without the ball, etc...

So far there's zero that agree with you on here about that. No one has even said it's close. Two agree with me regarding Tiger.

#457 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

On a sidenote, completely unrelated I thought you two would get a kick out of a friend of mine on FB having a link to your podcast posted on their wall by someone else they knew, none of them related to this board.

@JeremyMStrain

#458 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

The amount of people, worldwide, doing what Tiger does is way more. That's why I discount it.

The amount of people doing it seriously enough from a young age to give them a realistic chance at becoming pro is very low.

And that's a better reason to discount it than the athleticism of the sport, which you also consider in other sports?

#459 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

On a sidenote, completely unrelated I thought you two would get a kick out of a friend of mine on FB having a link to your podcast posted on their wall by someone else they knew, none of them related to this board.

Very cool. I wonder how that happened?

#460 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

Also, for the purpose of this list, there's no reason to mention NBA players that don't play a lot or do much on the court (on offense at least, still need plenty of effort on D regardless).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=