389 replies to this topic

#101 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

The only "memorable scene" I want to see at the Arena involves dynamite....lots and lots of dynamite.

#102 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Baltimore SunCAA tournament ends with memorable scene at Baltimore Arena

I'd rather see a repeat of Utah Valley than an orchestrated floor-rush. What a load.

@DJ_McCann

#103 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'd rather see a repeat of Utah Valley than an orchestrated floor-rush. What a load.

As my dad would say, way too "forced."

@levineps

#104 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,5998348.story

Royal Farms Arena

@DJ_McCann

#105 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,5998348.story

Royal Farms Arena

Great. Stick Haloti Ngata in there with a box of RF chicken and let's implode this thing once and for all.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#106 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Great. Stick Haloti Ngata in there with a box of RF chicken and let's implode this thing once and for all.

The article says they have first dibs on the naming rights for any new arena built during the length of the deal (five years, but I assume they can extend it).

@DJ_McCann

#107 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Kind of embarrassing but whatever.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#108 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

It is an embarrassing name....which makes it all the more fitting.

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

The article says they have first dibs on the naming rights for any new arena built during the length of the deal (five years, but I assume they can extend it).

That's fine though. I'd rather have a beautiful arena with an awful name than an awful arena with an awful name.

#110 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Why the hate for RoFo? I love it. Great Fried Chicken. They should serve it at the arena.

The arena getting a new name instead of getting demolished is what's embarrassing.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#111 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Their fried chicken is great.

Idk how the arena got this deal...they're getting paid more than three times more annually than what first mariner gave them.

#112 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

Their fried chicken is great.
Idk how the arena got this deal...they're getting paid more than three times more annually than what first mariner gave them.

Probably because it includes first rights on a new arena.

#113 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Probably because it includes first rights on a new arena.

I have to wonder if they know something, through the process of the negotiations.

@DJ_McCann

#114 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Maybe.

Someone on another board I post on said that Under Armour has something brewing, sports related, in the city.

I doubt they can prompt the construction of a new arena alone, but it makes me think if they don't have the clout to get the ball rolling at least.

#115 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

What exactly would Baltimore do with a new arena?  I mean, it would be nice and all, but who would play there?

#116 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

What exactly would Baltimore do with a new arena?  I mean, it would be nice and all, but who would play there?

The NBA expansion Baltimore Omars

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#117 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well the minor league teams we have now would probably play there for one, and we'd get better concerts for two, conventions and NCAA for three and four, and then we'd be able to lure a NHL or NBA team at some point in the future.

In this day and age you're not going to lure another team with the current arena, or even a promise of one. It needs to be built. But even if we don't get one, the city could use a new one.

And when they tear down the old arena, I'd like to see a Baltimore Transit Hub be built in its place, where subway, light rail, red line, MTA bus, and Megabus all have stations. The city could really something like that.

#118 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

The ability to host conventions and 3-4 day-long events (NCAAs, conference tournaments, etc.) would be big. I could see an AHL team moving here if a new arena/convention center expansion is built.

We give Otakon a lot of crap, but that convention pulls a ton of people into the city for a week. Unfortunately, that will move to DC next year or the year after because the Baltimore Convention Center is now too small.

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

The Hackerman plan to upgrade the convention center, incorporate a new arena into it, and a new Sheaton was the best plan in place. Hopefully that eventually does happen.

#120 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

Kansas City has the Sprint Center, which they built without an NBA or NHL team, and with no real hopes of attracting one, and from what I've read it's been profitable.  But I think a lot of that is because of concerts, and it's questionable whether Baltimore would have the same success with DC so close (although I'd basically never drive to DC for a midweek concert, and I would attend ones in Baltimore, so maybe there is a market).

I have to say, though, the current arena is crappy, but it's pretty good for concerts.

Totally agree about incorporating a new arena into an expanded convention center.  I think that would be a good idea, especially if you can get private money to pay for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=