389 replies to this topic

#121 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I went to a concert in the arena a few years back, sat in the upper deck, sound was pretty good...better than Verizon Center actually.

I will say this, since we don't have an arena, I'm glad the old one is still making a profit. It would be really sad if there was NO arena. But I doubt it would have stayed that way for long.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#122 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm glad the old one is still making a profit.

I'm not, because that's the primary reason an upgraded arena has never been brought past the preliminary planning stages. There is no impetus to push for the expense and civic demands necessary for a new building when the old one makes money.

@DJ_McCann

#123 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm not, because that's the primary reason an upgraded arena has never been brought past the preliminary planning stages. There is no impetus to push for the expense and civic demands necessary for a new building when the old one makes money.

Just saying, glad there is a place for Muse, Beyonce and Rihanna to play a concert, otherwise, theyd only be playing DC.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#124 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Just saying, glad there is a place for Muse, Beyonce and Rihanna to play a concert, otherwise, theyd only be playing DC.

And I'm just saying that if the Arena wasn't making money a new one would be in place, so they would still have a place to play :)

@DJ_McCann

#125 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,437 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

Can't O'Malley just invent another tax to pay for the arena?  A snow on your yard tax or something?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#126 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Did you just admit to going to a Beyonce concert!?

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Can't O'Malley just invent another tax to pay for the arena?  A snow on your yard tax or something?

http://taxfoundation...-tax-rates-2014

These comments aside, let's keep politics off the board.

#128 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Did you just admit to going to a Beyonce concert!?

Yup. 

February 3, 2013 in New Orleans. ;)

• Icterus galbula and DuffMan like this

#129 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

Yup. 

February 3, 2013 in New Orleans. ;)

Now, *that* is good reason to wear a bag on your head...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#130 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

Now, *that* is good reason to wear a bag on your head...

He's referring to halftime at the Ravens Super Bowl

#131 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

He's referring to halftime at the Ravens Super Bowl

Ooops.... I take it back then.... he's *still* waiting for a good reason to wear a bag on his head....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#132 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yeah like there weren't any good reasons from 1998-2011.

#133 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yeah like there weren't any good reasons from 1998-2011.

Let's not revisit your flaws   ;-)

#134 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

Why do you all want an arena so badly?  You got no sports team(s) for it.

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

It's spelled out pretty good in the initial posts of this thread... but... we'd be a better destination for conference (NCAAB) tournaments... NCAAT regionals... Some of the concerts that skips Baltimore would  now come...

The events that are there now, would be better...

Most importantly... a new Arena would be in-conjunction with increasing the size of the convention center.... allowing Baltimore to attract larger conventions (and make use of the Hilton, built for conventions)...  those conventions being huge money makers for the City.

Lastly, just because Baltimore is (probably) not currently viable to house the NBA or NHL... if you had an Arena with the requisite amount of skyboxes, it would at-least be theoretically possible (if you could then sell those boxes) at some point in time. (And even if it is not viable now, we should not shut the doors on the idea that it might be in 10-15 years.)

What I want is an arena with at-least 18,500 seats, and skyboxes comparable to the Arenas in Philly and DC.

#136 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

It's spelled out pretty good in the initial posts of this thread... but... we'd be a better destination for conference (NCAAB) tournaments... NCAAT regionals... Some of the concerts that skips Baltimore would  now come...

The events that are there now, would be better...

Most importantly... a new Arena would be in-conjunction with increasing the size of the convention center.... allowing Baltimore to attract larger conventions (and make use of the Hilton, built for conventions)...  those conventions being huge money makers for the City.

Lastly, just because Baltimore is (probably) not currently viable to house the NBA or NHL... if you had an Arena with the requisite amount of skyboxes, it would at-least be theoretically possible (if you could then sell those boxes) at some point in time. (And even if it is not viable now, we should not shut the doors on the idea that it might be in 10-15 years.)

What I want is an arena with at-least 18,500 seats, and skyboxes comparable to the Arenas in Philly and DC.

So, where would you put it on the list of Important-Things-the-City-Should-Do?  What other things go first?

#137 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

It wouldn't be too high on my list, but I don't want to get political. If there was a lot of private money involved, which at least was possible at one time, I'd be much more interested.

#138 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

So, where would you put it on the list of Important-Things-the-City-Should-Do?  What other things go first?

The city (and the surrounding counties, and the state, since they all will be intimately involved in all of this) needs to keep pushing toward more public transportation (the Red Line and maybe others), as well as trying to figure out the Howard Street tunnel problem. A publicly-funded new arena probably falls below that. However, as part of a renovation/rebuilding/expansion of the convention center or as a privately-funded project it could be built.

@DJ_McCann

#139 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

More and better public transit along with more investment in the education system would be two things I'd place higher.

#140 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Because Johnson City probably has a better arena.

And we ain't gonna get any sports teams without one. Christ the Bullets left in 1972 when they played there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=