389 replies to this topic

#81 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

The second you walk into that place you feel like you're back in the 1980s....which is sorta cool I guess.

80's? More like the 60's!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

What bothers me the most about not having a new Arena... is that it says something about the general lack of vision. It's not about having a shiny new toy. The apathy really annoys me.

I don't go as far as Sean does above... we're the same age, and I certainly expect Baltimore will have a new Arena within 15 years (let alone our lifetime)... but there was a lot of private money on the table here, and everyone couldn't figure out how to get it done. That should depress everyone.

A guy like that... wouldn't be surprised if his estate is still directing funds to the plan. Maybe this will galvanize people to get something done.

#83 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

There's too many people with their own agenda in power in Baltimore and it's been like that for decades. They can't decide what to do when it comes to much of anything (Red Line, Rte 70 connector through downtown) and when they do agree, it's usually overly-compromised to the point where it's pretty much useless (see: metro and light rail).

The arena will likely never happen, unless the economy gets back to where it was in the early 00's. Or until there's another private investor willing to drive this thing through city hall.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#84 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Connect 395 and 83 -- where the two connect, build the arena.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#85 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

You know where the prefect place for a new arena would have been?  Where the city put that stupid view-blocking, money-losing Hilton hotel.

• Oriole85 and Don Quixote like this

#86 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Connect 395 and 83 -- where the two connect, build the arena.

You want to build the Inner Harbor Bridge through Federal Hill and Little Italy too? :P

I don't think there's any possible way they build another highway through the city anytime soon.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

You know where the prefect place for a new arena would have been?  Where the city put that stupid view-blocking, money-losing Hilton hotel.

Well.... without getting into the politics of it..... part of the reason you need a new Arena, is so you can actually attract the larger conventions... which is the point of the hotel.

#88 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

Well.... without getting into the politics of it..... part of the reason you need a new Arena, is so you can actually attract the larger conventions... which is the point of the hotel.

On the other hand, if you build the arena and start getting in the market for those events, maybe someone would have wanted to build a massive hotel without the city getting involved.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

On the other hand, if you build the arena and start getting in the market for those events, maybe someone would have wanted to build a massive hotel without the city getting involved.

Yeah, there is some sense there.... but just dealing with the here and now... you have that hotel... you have convention center which is considerably smaller than many markets (markets much smaller than Baltimore)...  if you want to attract those larger conventions... you need the new arena, and convention center improvement.

Everyone seems to know this... nobody can figure how to get it done. Sad.

• Don Quixote likes this

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm actually at the Blast game right now and yeah, this arena is pretty bad.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#91 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Just turned on the Colonial Tournament on CSN, they have the three point line on the court? I guess they didn't take it off from when the Wizards played the preseason game.

@levineps

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Blaine Taylor making his first ever appearance in the Baltimore Arena praised the set-up of it and mentioned it having "good sightlines." Sorry Chris for being the bearer of bad news on this one.

Billy Ripken is there.

@levineps

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Blaine Taylor making his first ever appearance in the Baltimore Arena praised the set-up of it and mentioned it having "good sightlines." Sorry Chris for being the bearer of bad news on this one.

Billy Ripken is there.

It's garbage.  This is an event I would consider attending if there was a New Arena. As is, I can't even watch on TV without getting disgusted.

#94 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's garbage.  This is an event I would consider attending if there was a New Arena. As is, I can't even watch on TV without getting disgusted.

Every time they show the "foul shot" view and I can see the background with the stage...it just looks so third-class.

@DJ_McCann

#95 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

It obviously has a ton of negatives, but I don't think it's a good reason to not attend something you otherwise would. The Blast game was still fun. Really, the only thing that limited my enjoyment was how crappy the jumbotron is.
  • KWebz likes this

#96 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Every time they show the "foul shot" view and I can see the background with the stage...it just looks so third-class.

You just insulted third-class.

• DJ MC likes this

#97 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

You just insulted third-class.

Steerage.

@DJ_McCann

#98 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

It obviously has a ton of negatives, but I don't think it's a good reason to not attend something you otherwise would. The Blast game was still fun. Really, the only thing that limited my enjoyment was how crappy the jumbotron is.

Agree with your thoughts here. I haven't been there in 15 years but if there was some event of interest, it wouldn't stop me from going.

@levineps

#99 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Agree with your thoughts here. I haven't been there in 15 years but if there was some event of interest, it wouldn't stop me from going.

Just to make clear, I have no real issue going there, either. It just sucks :P

@DJ_McCann

#100 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Baltimore SunCAA tournament ends with memorable scene at Baltimore Arena

“At the end of the day, our success is we ran a great tournament, we have a team that’s going to the NCAA championship that  hasn’t been there in a long while and they’re excited out of their minds,” Yeager said. “We’d love to have big crowds, but there isn’t any criticism. It takes time to build it.”

The arena, which holds about 11,000 for basketball, had an announced 5,414 on Monday night. Overall, the four-day tournament – making its first Baltimore appearance – drew  19,065.

No matter which team won, the CAA had hoped fans would rush the floor. It all but choreographed the activity.

“We encourage you to come to the floor in an organized and safe manner,” the public address announcer told the fans in the final minutes.

Sure enough, blue-clad fans rushed the floor, and a Delaware player tossed the ball high into the air.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=