#341 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

Pretty good news for the city that relates to the arena and convention center.

https://www.bizjourn...tournament.html
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#342 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Pretty good news for the city that relates to the arena and convention center.

https://www.bizjourn...tournament.html

We’ll see. The CAA tournament wasn’t a big draw, and that’s division I, when Towson was good. Not sure how this will attract a ton a people. Not to the $50M level they expect anyway.

Maybe I’m wrong.
@BSLMikeRandall

#343 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

150,000 visitors? For the CIAA? Yeah....no.

#344 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

150,000 visitors? For the CIAA? Yeah....no.

I read that as for the 3 years total, which still may be optimistic, but not nearly as much so as in 1 year.

Charlotte sure views this as a big loss:

https://www.charlott...e224069440.html

#345 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

I read that as for the 3 years total, which still may be optimistic, but not nearly as much so as in 1 year.

Charlotte sure views this as a big loss:

https://www.charlott...e224069440.html

Even if you break it down to each tournament over the 3 years (men's and women's), that's 25,000 for each....about twice the arena's capacity. I know the CIAA Tourney is as much of a party-type event as it is about the basketball, so it draws people who might not even attend the games, but how many of those people are going to want to go to a whole different city that's a lot farther from the conference's geographic center in NC?

The CIAA Tournament sounds like the Bayou Classic football game in New Orleans every year.....the event is almost synonymous with the city it's held in. Having been in New Orleans when it was going on one year, it was quite a scene. I doubt it would be anywhere near the same crowd if they moved the BC game to Atlanta or Houston, which sounds like what's happening here.

But I guess we'll see. Either way, the arena is getting used for dates when it presumably would be empty, so it's certainly not a bad thing. I'm just highly skeptical that it's as good as they're selling it to be.

#346 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who has to watch a game in that glorified high school gymnasium.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#347 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore Development Corp. seeks developer for Royal Farms Arena for post-coronavirus events venue

Any upgrade is better than what exists right now, but I don't see how the current parcel/structure can be transformed into something with the seating capacity needed to attract more high-quality events.

#348 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:23 PM

My initial take is that any plan that involves spending money to update the existing facility is completely wasted $.

But, whatever... maybe I'll be surprised and the retrofit would work.  I'll wait to see more.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#349 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:01 PM

My initial take is that any plan that involves spending money to update the existing facility is completely wasted $.

But, whatever... maybe I'll be surprised and the retrofit would work.  I'll wait to see more.

Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

#350 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who has to watch a game in that glorified high school gymnasium.

I wish I could attend a game in a glorified high school gym and not worry about COVID. 

#351 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

Baltimore Sun: Baltimore Development Corp. seeks developer for Royal Farms Arena for post-coronavirus events venue

Any upgrade is better than what exists right now, but I don't see how the current parcel/structure can be transformed into something with the seating capacity needed to attract more high-quality events.

I have been going to that dump for decades and I think any change should be done after the wrecking ball takes that thing down.  It is uncomfortable, ugly and smells bad inside.  Outside the issues are traffic and crime.  Spending a fortune on the exsisting building seems like a waste.

@mikeghg

#352 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

That arena needed to be torn down and replaced decades ago. Stop dumping money into that building and replace it with an arena this city deserves. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#353 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

The arena is still pretty good for concerts, for what that's worth.  If you need to use the bathroom or get food, then maybe that's an issue, but it's small enough that you're pretty close to the band.

#354 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:41 PM

The arena is still pretty good for concerts, for what that's worth.  If you need to use the bathroom or get food, then maybe that's an issue, but it's small enough that you're pretty close to the band.

Yeah, it serves its current purpose just fine and has been profitable during non covid times. 

The linked article sounded promising, but skepticism is totally fair. 

Beyond that, as previously stated, I don't see the case for Baltimore to pay for a new arena. 

#355 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

Decent acoustics.

#356 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:34 PM

Can't disagree with that. It's not so bad for concerts as far as sound and being close to the stage. But I would also think its limited seating capacity, and lack of high-end amenities for those willing to pay a premium, means that Baltimore misses out on some of the bigger tours. And yes, pass on the concessions and hold your bladder unless you want to miss a good chunk of the show.

#357 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:52 PM

Can't disagree with that. It's not so bad for concerts as far as sound and being close to the stage. But I would also think its limited seating capacity, and lack of high-end amenities for those willing to pay a premium, means that Baltimore misses out on some of the bigger tours. And yes, pass on the concessions and hold your bladder unless you want to miss a good chunk of the show.

Some skip Baltimore I think because it's in between Philly and DC, but that arena surprisingly still gets big acts to show up. Pearl Jam for instance was slated for this year.

"Before the coronavirus ground live entertainment and performing arts to a halt, the arena — formerly known as the Baltimore Arena or 1st Mariner Arena — had brought acts such as Rihanna and the Jonas Brothers to Baltimore and had booked Celine Dion and Pearl Jam for the first half of 2020."

#358 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:02 PM

Some skip Baltimore I think because it's in between Philly and DC, but that arena surprisingly still gets big acts to show up. Pearl Jam for instance was slated for this year.

"Before the coronavirus ground live entertainment and performing arts to a halt, the arena — formerly known as the Baltimore Arena or 1st Mariner Arena — had brought acts such as Rihanna and the Jonas Brothers to Baltimore and had booked Celine Dion and Pearl Jam for the first half of 2020."

Pearl Jam would have been a huge get in the 1990s? In 2020? I don't know about that.

#359 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

Pearl Jam would have been a huge get in the 1990s? In 2020? I don't know about that.

Still a big get in terms of ticket demand. Their tour sold out very quickly.

Also, Pearl Jam wasn't the only artist listed there. The arena does just fine attracting acts given it's proximity between two larger cities.

#360 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,542 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:51 PM

This is true. Between a big arena and RoFo I’d rather see a show at RoFo. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=