389 replies to this topic

#361 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

This is true. Between a big arena and RoFo I’d rather see a show at RoFo. 

Merriweather Post. :)

• CantonJester likes this

#362 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

Sounds like there's a new plan to renovate the Arena.

Royal Farms Arena, the aging downtown Baltimore events venue, would be renovated, leased and managed by a global entertainment and investment company with ties to basketball star Kevin Durant under a deal being negotiated by Baltimore Development Corp.

The city’s economic development arm planned to make the agreement with the Los Angeles-based Oak View Group public Wednesday, after months of soliciting bids to redevelop the arena. A call for proposals went out in November.

Oak View Group and its partner, Durant’s Thirty Five Ventures, will fully finance the costs of the renovation, which is expected to cost in excess of $150 million, they said in a news release to be issued Wednesday. The new design will feature glass materials, new lighting, signage and exterior sails, along with contemporary arena seating, corporate suites, food and beverage amenities, and a “reimagined concourse,” according to the release.

Baltimore’s Royal Farms Arena to be overhauled by developer with ties to the NBA’s Kevin Durant - Baltimore Sun

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#363 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

Wouldn't have been my preferred end result, but it's a positive. 

#364 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:49 AM

If they're going to keep putting lipstick on this pig new seating is a must. Those seats are the worst seats ever.

• Mark Carver likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#365 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:35 AM

Hey I remember going to the Civic Center to see concerts of Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heep, Chicago, Led Zeppelin and many more in the early 70's!!!! It will still be a pig.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#366 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

Hey I remember going to the Civic Center to see concerts of Grand Funk Railroad, Uriah Heep, Chicago, Led Zeppelin and many more in the early 70's!!!! It will still be a pig.

But you was high back then, so you didnt care. :) :) :) :)

#367 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:48 AM

$150 million won’t even buy a coat of paint in the current construction market. Why bother.

• Old Man likes this

#368 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:06 AM

PressBox: BDC President Colin Tarbert On Why Renovating Royal Farms Arena Is Right Path
https://pressboxonli...-is-right-path/

#369 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

I think it’s a complete waste to put a dime into that decrepit hunk of concrete, but if Kevin Durant wants to flush $150m down the toilet, that’s on him. I’ve pretty much given up on the city and state doing something that would bring large indoor events into the 21st century.

#370 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

I think it’s a complete waste to put a dime into that decrepit hunk of concrete, but if Kevin Durant wants to flush $150m down the toilet, that’s on him. I’ve pretty much given up on the city and state doing something that would bring large indoor events into the 21st century.

The arena is only 60 years old! :)

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#371 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:56 AM

I think a renovation of the arena could have a positive impact. It doesn’t need to be a tear down/rebuild thing. A renovation, while not expanding its seating capacity, makes it more attractive for NBA and NHL minor league teams maybe. A place to host NCAA BB conference tournaments. Maybe even NCAAT first/second round games. Still attractive for wrestling events, concerts, etc…

I for one loved minor league hockey when I lived in Florida, as it was the only sports in Fort Myers besides the Red Sox and Twins spring training and their GCL affiliates. Since we won’t ever get an NHL team here and I rarely make it to DC, I’d be all in if they brought a minor league team here. Would make sense to have it be a Caps affiliate.
@BSLMikeRandall

#372 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:44 AM

BBJ: $150M deal to redevelop Royal Farms Arena downtown heads to city panel for approval

https://www.bizjourn...date=2021-11-22

#373 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 November 2021 - 08:52 AM

BBJ: $150M deal to redevelop Royal Farms Arena downtown heads to city panel for approval
https://www.bizjourn...date=2021-11-22

Guess you can get to updating the thread title. What a shame. I’ve always remained hopeful that one day they’d do the obvious.
  • BSLMikeLowe and DuffMan like this

#374 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:53 AM

You can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

#375 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:56 AM

If you are not expanding the footprint of the building, which you really can’t do in that location, then shinier lights and new paint are a pointless waste of money. You will still have the same cramped concourses, same cramped seating, same number of crowded restrooms, same long lines at too few concessions, etc, etc. Nobody is going to notice how well lit the place is while they’re holding it in a long line to take a piss.

• CantonJester likes this

#376 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:38 PM

If you are not expanding the footprint of the building, which you really can’t do in that location, then shinier lights and new paint are a pointless waste of money. You will still have the same cramped concourses, same cramped seating, same number of crowded restrooms, same long lines at too few concessions, etc, etc. Nobody is going to notice how well lit the place is while they’re holding it in a long line to take a piss.

They should not put a nickel into that dump or a new building in that spot.

@mikeghg

#377 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

I'll never forget having to explain that arena to my friends from college who aren't from here when Maryland was playing a game there.

"Yea...this is our 'main' arena"

Embarrassing. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#378 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:39 PM

Wasn't Ed Hale going to build an arena on the east side by the marine terminal area?

#379 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,408 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:11 PM

Wasn't Ed Hale going to build an arena on the east side by the marine terminal area?

Yeah. Then 1st Mariner Bank went belly-up.

Then Willard Hackerman offered to build a new arena in conjunction with an expanded convention center. Then he died.

This has taken more turns than getting an NFL team back in town did. At this point, I wouldn't hold out any hope. I don't see anyone doing anything of consequence as long as The Dump remains structurally sound. And even if it did start crumbling to the ground, I wouldn't count on any results.

#380 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:58 AM

I'm the one person here that actually is cool with this.

No taxpayer dollars is huge. The city should not be spending much money on things like new arenas in my view. That's something that generally applies to cities in general, but especially given Baltimore's situation.

The vision actually looks pretty good imo. Plus the arena as is has been getting big acts and has been profitable so this should only enhance that.

I like that there is a lot of minority and female representation from investment to the in arena vendors.

Lastly, I think many people of unreasonable expectations or hopes for what a new arena would do for the city.  For instance, an NBA or NHL team is rather unrealistic imo. So then you end up with pretty much the same level of events that the chicken box is getting now plus occasional college basketball games/tournaments. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=