• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

I kind of agree here. Wouldn't mind seeing the O's go Manaea @ 22 and Hart @ 37.

Could probably get Manaea later than that. Talks he could go anywhere from late first to 3rd round.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Could probably get Manaea later than that. Talks he could go anywhere from late first to 3rd round.

Sure but he'll take every bit of $2 Million to sign I think. So what's the point in taking him later if you need to allocate that much of your pool to him anyway?

@JeffLongBP

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sure but he'll take every bit of $2 Million to sign I think. So what's the point in taking him later if you need to allocate that much of your pool to him anyway?

Those days are over. You go later, you get less money. The injury he's facing could easily cut into next season, which means he goes even later next season. He has no leverage.

@JeremyMStrain

#44 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I would think maybe even $2.5MM. He'll angle for selection by a team with the extra cash. He and Boras, even through the rough spring, have dealt with teams as if he is still a candidate for 1-1.

@NickJFaleris

#45 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Those days are over. You go later, you get less money. The injury he's facing could easily cut into next season, which means he goes even later next season. He has no leverage.

He definitely has leverage in that he can go back in the draft and go 1-1 next year.

I would think maybe even $2.5MM. He'll angle for selection by a team with the extra cash. He and Boras, even through the rough spring, have dealt with teams as if he is still a candidate for 1-1.

I think a likely landing spot for him might be the Astros if they go with Moran or Bryant at 1-1. They could then pick him up at 40 or the other couple of picks they have in the top 75.

@JeffLongBP

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Depends on what this injury turns out to be. If its serious and cuts into next season he's not going that high. The way they are selling him to teams kinda sounds to me like they are trying to secure his payday cause they aren't sure how its going to go.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

http://baltimorespor...d-college-bats/

• BSLChrisStoner, SBTarheel and You Play to Win the Game like this

#48 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Good post Jon. I think that the O's should certainly be looking at college talent here in the draft. I think that the compensation round might be a good time to try to pick up a high ceiling guy (college or HS), but I'd really like to see a proven bat or arm with that first pick.

I'm pretty high on Wilson & Judge, but would be happy with any of the handful of guys you identified.

@JeffLongBP

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I always value college bats unless a clear better talent is there.

All things being equal, give me the college bat.

#50 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Klaw updates his mock, with the O's taking Chris Anderson this time:

http://insider.espn....draft-mlb-draft

@JeffLongBP

#51 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Very late to this party, and watching some of these videos for the first time...

Clint Frazier's bat speed= WOW

Law is reporting that Gray tested positive for Adderall, but probably won't hurt him on Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/m...e-test-adderall

@beginthebegin71

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

MASN: Baseball America's Jim Callis on the O's Draft Outlook
http://www.masnsport...ft-outlook.html

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

The O's have the 22nd and 37th overall picks in the 2013 Draft. Let's look back to last year, and see how those same selections have progressed as professionals:

The 22nd pick was Marcus Stroman.

Stroman looks to have missed time to start the year, having made just 3 starts for AA New Hampshire beginning in mid-May. After signing last year, he had 7 appearances for Low A Vancouver, and 8 appearances in relief for New Hampshire. Entered the year as Toronto's #5 overall prospect according to MLB.com. MLB.com also ranked him as the #98th rated prospect in the game.

The 37th pick was Pat Light.

Light - taken out of Monmouth - is a RHP currently with Greenville in the South Atlantic League. After signing last year, he got into 12 games with Lowell in the New York - Penn League. Coming into this year, he was Boston's 18th best prospect according to MLB.com.

With Greenville, Light is 1-3, 8.17 era, 25.1 ip, 37 hits, 4 hr's, 13 bb's, 24 k's.

#54 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

The 22nd pick was Marcus Stroman.

Stroman looks to have missed time to start the year, having made just 3 starts for AA New Hampshire beginning in mid-May. After signing last year, he had 7 appearances for Low A Vancouver, and 8 appearances in relief for New Hampshire. Entered the year as Toronto's #5 overall prospect according to MLB.com. MLB.com also ranked him as the #98th rated prospect in the game.

Yep.

Medford's Marcus Stroman, the 22nd overall pick by the Blue Jays in this year's draft, received a 50-game suspension Tuesday for violating Major League Baseball's drug program.

Stroman, 21, tested positive for the stimulant methylhexaneamine while playing for Class A Vancouver, where he made seven appearances this season before his Aug. 1 promotion to Double-ANew Hampshire. Stroman was a combined 3-0 with a 3.26 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 19 1/3 innings over 15 games.

"Despite taking precautions to avoid violating the minor-league testing program, I unknowingly ingested a banned stimulant that was in an over-the-counter supplement," Stroman said in a statement. "Nonetheless, I accept full responsibility and I want to apologize to the Toronto Blue Jaysorganization, my family, my teammates, and the Blue Jays fans everywhere. I look forward to putting this behind me and rejoining my teammates."

http://www.newsday.c...ulant-1.3933297

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I must say picking so low this year, my interest has substantially decreased in the Draft from years past. And that's a good thing. It's a not a knock on many of you who look forward to this I can ensure you -- we all have ours passions/interests -- I'm sure many of the things that interest me, many could care less about. The good news however is with the afternoon start to the O's game on Thursday, we can watch the whole thing without flipping channels.

@levineps

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

CBS Sports: Top Position Players
http://www.cbssports...osition-players

#57 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

CBS Sports: Top Position Players
http://www.cbssports...osition-players

Admittedly I don't follow college baseball very closely, but I didn't know that Moran is Surhoff's nephew.

USATSI_7276170.jpg

Slight resemblance in the expression, no?

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Admittedly I don't follow college baseball very closely, but I didn't know that Moran is Surhoff's nephew.

USATSI_7276170.jpg

Slight resemblance in the expression, no?

And he's a Yankee fan from NY. Awkward family moments in the mid 90s.

@JeremyMStrain

#59 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

And he's a Yankee fan from NY. Awkward family moments in the mid 90s.

If anyone feels like feeling old today, Moran had just turned 4 prior to the Maier series.

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

If anyone feels like feeling old today, Moran had just turned 4 prior to the Maier series.

Ugh. Thanks for that.

@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=