Minor League Ball Top 100

Perfect Game

#2 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Drafting in the 20's just looks bizarre.

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's weird that even this time of year (getting close to May) some of these mocks aren't even close to updated yet. Or people are just guessing. Manaea, Stanek have both seen their stock tumble. Grey has risen.

They should start to get closer to accurate over the next couple of weeks, now that small sample size from this season is meshed out.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4 DarthSlader

DarthSlader
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Hon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

As far as college players are concerned, I'm really big on Hunter Renfroe of Mississipi State. He's projected to go in the 15-30 range. As a fan of Cal Ripken Summer league baseball (where Renfroe set a new league HR record last summer) I'd love to see the O's take him.

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Drafting in the 20's just looks bizarre.

Really, really bizarre. But awesomely bizarre.

@AdamWolff

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'm kinda hoping Ziomek from Vandy drops. Higher on him than a lot of people, but I've seen him projected everywhere from top 10 to supplemental, so hard to say.

Wanted them to take him last year, but hoping they snag Jimmy Reed from MD in the middle rounds. Could have had him cheap and late last year and pretty much no one but the Yankees were on him. Smallish, but I've seen him go pitch for pitch with Stroman, and most here know how high I am on him.

@JeremyMStrain

#7 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

As far as college players are concerned, I'm really big on Hunter Renfroe of Mississipi State. He's projected to go in the 15-30 range. As a fan of Cal Ripken Summer league baseball (where Renfroe set a new league HR record last summer) I'd love to see the O's take him.

I agree ...would be nice to have a real power hitter in he system for a change .... Plus I like his name!
Roll Tide

#8 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

I agree ...would be nice to have a real power hitter in he system for a change .... Plus I like his name!

For power, Baltimore's best bets are their slot will probably be one of the following (some of these likely to be off the board in the 11-20 range):

Hunter Renfroe (RF, Miss St)

Austin Wilson (OF, Stanford)

Dom Smith (1B, Serra HS (Los Angeles, Calif.))

Jon Denney (C, Yukon HS (Yukon, Okla.))

DJ Peterson (1B, New Mexico)

If they go with an arm instead, at 22, or a skill position like Nick Ciuffo (C, Lexington HS (Lexington, Calif.)), they could go for some pop in the supplemental round with someone like Eric Jagielo (3B/OF, Notre Dame) or Aaron Judge (OF, Fresno St.).

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this
@NickJFaleris

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Sports Illustrated: Mock Draft

http://sportsillustr...11_a3&eref=sihp

SI has Oscar Mercado mocked to the O's.

Hunter Renfroe going 14th.

Austin Wilson going 28th.

Dom Smith going 17th.

Jon Denney going 11th.

DJ Peterson going 12th.

Nick Ciuffo going 20th.

Aaron Judge going 27th.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Baseball America: Top 100
http://www.baseballa...el-for-top-sot/

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's MUCH harder to project who is going to be around in the last 3rd of the first round than where we have picked recently. Teams reaching for players, players dropping, there are a lot of moving parts with 20+ picks before yours. Guys like Schaffer last year dropped a little further than I thought they would. It's hard to guess who is going to drop, but a couple from Nick's list earlier could do it.

This is moreso going to be a wait and see who falls kind of plan than let's choose between these 4-5 guys.

@JeremyMStrain

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I've stayed out of projecting this season because I haven't been out seeing as many people this year.

I do have a couple picks I would go after in the first, supplemental and second rounds though.

Some targets for me are:

Kent Emmanuel - LHP- NC

Matt McPhearson - OF- HS (MD)

Bobby Wahl - RHP- Miss

Kevin Ziomek - LHP- Vandy

@JeremyMStrain

#13 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Keith Law's first mock is out. Really interesting notes here (for me at least):

Moran in the top 5

Meadows and Frazier going 12/13 respectively

Austin Wilson going to NYY @ 26

Aaron Judge going to STL @ 28

Klaw 2013 Mock V.1

22nd Pick Scouting Report

@JeffLongBP

#14 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Keith Law's first mock is out. Really interesting notes here (for me at least):

Moran in the top 5

Meadows and Frazier going 12/13 respectively

Austin Wilson going to NYY @ 26

Aaron Judge going to STL @ 28

Klaw 2013 Mock V.1

22nd Pick Scouting Report

Devin Williams would be a nice get. Need to trust developmental staff some, but potential there for three plus or better pitches. Good body. Unlikely to be quick mover, but high upside.

@NickJFaleris

#15 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Devin Williams would be a nice get. Need to trust developmental staff some, but potential there for three plus or better pitches. Good body. Unlikely to be quick mover, but high upside.

Yeah. In that situation I would be torn though, I really like Austin Wilson and I think getting him out of Stanford will do wonders for his game.

@JeffLongBP

#16 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yeah. In that situation I would be torn though, I really like Austin Wilson and I think getting him out of Stanford will do wonders for his game.

How do you think Stanford is limiting him? He missed a bunch of this spring with an injury, but between last summer and the first game of the Rice series it seemed like he had made some nice strides. Better swing this year than last, for sure.

@NickJFaleris

#17 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

How do you think Stanford is limiting him? He missed a bunch of this spring with an injury, but between last summer and the first game of the Rice series it seemed like he had made some nice strides. Better swing this year than last, for sure.

Just their reputation for changing guys swings. Could just be perception, but it seems like there's some merit to the criticism there to me.

@JeffLongBP

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Just their reputation for changing guys swings. Could just be perception, but it seems like there's some merit to the criticism there to me.

Don't think they have quite the rep as say Rice and their pitchers, could just be coincidence, but the general point that pro development could help him fix whatever has been off isn't a bad one. The difference between college and pro instruction gets overlooked sometimes, and it really helps some players take huge strides.

@JeremyMStrain

#19 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I think there is generally truth to that in that Stanford's staff teaches a certain approach that can work best with some aspects of a swing that pro scouts don't tend to like. But as far as "changing a player's swing", very few HS kids don't have their swing changed in some respect at the collegiate level.

With regards to Wilson specifically, he really lost a lot of his core/legs in his swing last year, but showed less of that flaw over the summer and threw his very limited early-spring. His production this spring has been good for as long as he's been playing, though the same concerns about swing-and-miss are present (and those are issues he had prior to Stanford). For whatever it's worth, I think Wilson's question marks are legit, but shouldn't really be thrown at the feet of the Stanford coaching staff (no matter how loudly some national analysts insist).

Check out what Stephen Piscotty did immediately after being drafted, and again thus far this year. I think it's unfair for folks (not saying you did this) to make blanket statements that Stanford hurts kid's offensive potential. 

@NickJFaleris

#20 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think there is generally truth to that in that Stanford's staff teaches a certain approach that can work best with some aspects of a swing that pro scouts don't tend to like. But as far as "changing a player's swing", very few HS kids don't have their swing changed in some respect at the collegiate level.

With regards to Wilson specifically, he really lost a lot of his core/legs in his swing last year, but showed less of that flaw over the summer and threw his very limited early-spring. His production this spring has been good for as long as he's been playing, though the same concerns about swing-and-miss are present (and those are issues he had prior to Stanford). For whatever it's worth, I think Wilson's question marks are legit, but shouldn't really be thrown at the feet of the Stanford coaching staff (no matter how loudly some national analysts insist).

Check out what Stephen Piscotty did immediately after being drafted, and again thus far this year. I think it's unfair for folks (not saying you did this) to make blanket statements that Stanford hurts kid's offensive potential. 

I agree with all of that. It's one of those things where without getting to see the players personally, you have to judge them based off what you read/hear and how their profile fits with what you value in a baseball player (similar to how I used to criticize Joe Jordan for falling in love with the 4th OF profile haha).

My initial post was probably too much hyperbole, but I do think that he profiles as the type of guy that could really blossom into a great player with proper instruction. Not to say he isn't getting proper instruction at Stanford, just that the buzz is that Stanford doesn't do any hitters a great service. Obviously that falls into the blanket statements point you made so it's tough (without seeing him personally) to decide, you know?

@JeffLongBP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=