Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

John Smoltz sucks.

he doesn't really suck, I'm just preparing for the inevitable "every announcer sucks except Scott Van Pelt" reaction.

I'd like to see everyone do a sports broadcast and adhere to all the standards. So that means for baseball -- no extended bathroom breaks including when it goes to extra innings. You must talk intelligently about the sport while remaining entertaining and can't dumb it down. Also, you can't say anything "stupid." And just remember hundreds of thousands are watch if not millions are watching you, critiquing your every little interaction on social media. It's really easy after all.

@levineps

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

ALL THE BASEBALL BROADCASTERS SUCK EXCEPT KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joemorganomfgwassooooobad
  • SBTarheel likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

I love that they are trolling stat geeks by putting Reynolds in the booth.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this

#24 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Reynolds isn't bad because he's not a stat nerd.  He's bad because he says blatantly wrong shit all the time.  He's rarely (if ever) critical of everyone.  Its all lollypops and rainbows with him.

He's a hell of a lot better than Plesac or Mitch Williams though.  Personally I'd prefer Ron Darling or Kenny Singleton.  They actually give, you know, baseball insight.

@fuzydunlop

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Reynolds isn't bad because he's not a stat nerd.  He's bad because he says blatantly wrong shit all the time.  He's rarely (if ever) critical of everyone.  Its all lollypops and rainbows with him.

He's a hell of a lot better than Plesac or Mitch Williams though.  Personally I'd prefer Ron Darling or Kenny Singleton.  They actually give, you know, baseball insight.

Shhh. Let people have their strawmen to battle :)

@DJ_McCann

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

It doesn't matter why he is bad. I love that it really drives his haters mad.

Btw...he can't be worse than McCarver.

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

McCarver had the game pass him by. Reynolds has never even made it to a point where that's possible.

@DJ_McCann

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Shhh. Let people have their strawmen to battle :)

Congrats, you've misused the word "strawman" a record 1,000th time on message boards. Brian Kenny thinks this is a very impressive stat.

@bopper33

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'm sure Posnanski is ready to write 7,000 words about it that his 15 fans will read.

@bopper33

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Congrats, you've misused the word "strawman" a record 1,000th time on message boards. Brian Kenny thinks this is a very impressive stat.

See, a strawman is when you misrepresent an idea and focus your argument on that instead of what is actually being said.

There, I hope that helps :)

@DJ_McCann

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

And the "idea" I've misrepresented is....?

@bopper33

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

And the "idea" I've misrepresented is....?

That the reason people don't like Harold Reynolds is just because he doesn't use stats. Not that he is purposefully ignorant of them, or that he is openly disdainful of them without showing that he made an effort to look into things before making up his mind. Not because of the things McNulty already said above, about being wrong about basic things and never criticizing anyone. Not because of questionable character. No, it's only the first thing, nothing else.

@DJ_McCann

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

That the reason people don't like Harold Reynolds is just because he doesn't use stats. Not that he is purposefully ignorant of them, or that he is openly disdainful of them without showing that he made an effort to look into things before making up his mind. Not because of the things McNulty already said above, about being wrong about basic things and never criticizing anyone. Not because of questionable character. No, it's only the first thing, nothing else.

Oh....ok.

I think if Joe Posnanski liked him you would too despite the above. But hey, that's just my opinion.

@bopper33

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Oh....ok.

I think if Joe Posnanski liked him you would too despite the above. But hey, that's just my opinion.

And I think if someone caught him on camera saying "WAR isn't so crazy," next time we saw you it would be sporting a Bill James beard. But that's just my opinion ;)

@DJ_McCann

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,100 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I don't think I've ever actually heard Reynolds call a game.  I've never really enjoyed him on Baseball Tonight (haven't seen him much on MLB).  But being bad in the studio isn't a guarantee he'll be bad in the booth.  A lot more opportunities to talk about things like mechanics, positioning, and execution during a game than in the studio, and being good at that is unrelated to being good at analyzing things after the fact.  I don't like a lot of what Mike Bordick does in the booth, for example, I think he's far too positive and never critical (to echo a complaint about Reynolds), but I think he's really good at explaining some of the finer details of playing the infield and I usually find that really interesting.

#36 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

I love Reynolds and think he's going to be great.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I like Reynolds talking about base-running, infield defense, switch hitting... being inside a clubhouse, and the different things a player faces. He can add value to a discussion. There are things he can add to a conversation that Kenny can not.

It would be disingenuous to say otherwise. OTOH, the show with him and Kenny has Reynolds come off extremely poor imo. Maybe that won't be a factor here though. Verducci has his own detractors, but I think having him there as a 3rd will help things. Reynolds can do what he does best... giving analysis of things on the field... while Verducci can help bring a larger overview of things to the booth... 

I'm open to it, it might work out well overall.

#38 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Reynolds doesn't know the most about advanced stats, but he brings a lot to the table regarding on the field stuff.  Plus, he's a likable guy and that counts for a lot. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Oh....ok.

Did DJ defend JoePa since Posnanski did?

@levineps

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I like Reynolds talking about base-running, infield defense, switch hitting... being inside a clubhouse, and the different things a player faces. He can add value to a discussion. There are things he can add to a conversation that Kenny can not.

It would be disingenuous to say otherwise. OTOH, the show with him and Kenny has Reynolds come off extremely poor imo. Maybe that won't be a factor here though. Verducci has his own detractors, but I think having him there as a 3rd will help things. Reynolds can do what he does best... giving analysis of things on the field... while Verducci can help bring a larger overview of things to the booth... 

I'm open to it, it might work out well overall.

Getting someone or multiple people who are going to appeal to a nationwide audience, casual and hardcore is very difficult especially in a sport that is more regionalized like baseball.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=