#141 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's mostly tongue-in-cheek... I'm baiting you guys a bit lately just having some fun. Yes I've said how great a get L'Ville was... to go along with Pitt and Cuse. It's a net win for the ACC, and it's not particularly close. That said I do think the B1G is also going to be a force. I think they will interchangeably compete for top dogs.

That's possible.

Right now, B10 has better coaches IMO...the ACC needs to get rid of some of the under belly of coaches.

If Calhoun comes to BC and a guy like Howland goes to Wake, that's a big difference.

Although, if I'm Wake, I'm throwing a tank full of cash at Smart or Marshall and see if that's the job that makes those guys leave.

#142 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Calhoun to BC would be verrrry interesting.

#143 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,288 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

[qu ote data-cid='274527' name='Ricker Says' timestamp='1395507205' post='274527']Calhoun to BC would be verrrry interesting. </blockquote>

Huskies fans would be pissed. They still hate BC for blocking them to the ACC.

#144 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

[qu ote data-cid='274527' name='Ricker Says' timestamp='1395507205' post='274527']Calhoun to BC would be verrrry interesting. </blockquote>

Huskies fans would be pissed. They still hate BC for blocking them to the ACC.

I don't think it was just BC, UConn just didn't bring as much to the ACC as Pitt, Cuse, or Louisville did. Also no major conference wanted UConn and that matters, Louisville could've been taken potentially by another conference.

@levineps

#145 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,288 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

I don't think it was just BC, UConn just didn't bring as much to the ACC as Pitt, Cuse, or Louisville did. Also no major conference wanted UConn and that matters, Louisville could've been taken potentially by another conference.

There has been a lot of talk that BC has even refused to consider UConn to the BC. Those two schools are not on good terms.

Anyways, back to Buzz...

I read that, back in December, his buyout went from $2 million to $100k. Could be another reason why he chose to leave.

Marquette now has an interim President, interim Provost, interim Athletic Director, interim Dean of the Business College and a vacant men's basketball head coach position.

All in basically 1 year's time.

• Oriole85 likes this

#146 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

There has been a lot of talk that BC has even refused to consider UConn to the BC. Those two schools are not on good terms.

Anyways, back to Buzz...

I read that in December, his buyout went from $2 million to $100k. Could be another reason why he chose to left.

Marquette now has an interim President, interim Provost, interim Athletic Director, interim Dean of the Business College and a vacant men's basketball head coach position.

All in basically 1 year's time.

Btw, I'm not disputing what you're saying re: BC trying to prevent UConn. They would suffer the most clearly with UConn in the conference. All I'm saying is there are other reasons as well and those other schools they added are better for the conference overall in terms of markets and/or football, which is what matters at the end of the day.

Making more sense with all the instability. And good point with the buyout, I just don't see VT as a career destination for him, I wonder how long he'll be there for?

@levineps

#147 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

ESPNMarquette's future as Big East loses Buzz (Insider)

Buzz Williams was gone. Marquette’s head coach was frustrated with the new league and changes in administration. He wanted a change of scenery.

The old Big East was all-powerful. It had guys like Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino and virtually unlimited exposure that allowed Williams to win recruiting wars against fellow high-major programs.

Now, the league has taken more hits. It began with the departure of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame to the ACC – and a revamped league that included seven holdovers in addition to Creighton, Xavier and Butler.

Doug McDermott carried the league this season, but his career is coming to an end, and now one of its other faces is gone -- to Virginia Tech.

Williams is a home run for new Hokies athletic director Whit Babcock. No, he’s a grand slam. Babcock came from Cincinnati, and Williams is close to Bearcats coach Mick Cronin. That might have been the hook, but the key was exposure and support.

The administration has changed. Marquette will bring in a new president and athletic director at some point soon, and that’s rarely a positive sign for a standing head coach. Usually, the newcomers want "their" guys.

Williams now goes to work for "his guy" in the country's premier league. He’ll make the Hokies relevant -- even if it’ll be difficult to crack the top four of the league with Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse and Louisville all in the ACC. Now Williams, who thrives on being counted out, gets to go up against Coach K, Roy and gets another shot at Boeheim and Pitino.

Highlights some of the points Chris B talked about administration instability.

Mentions Gregg Marshall as a potential HC candidate, that seems like a bit of a strech; also, Ben Howland, among others.

@levineps

#148 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

You Maryland fans have to get it out of your heads that you guys leaving matters..Louisville is a way better program.

ACC is going dominate, especially when Louisville gets in.

Having Cuse, Duke, UNC and Louisville is pretty ridiculous. Those are 4 of the top 10 programs in the country.

Add in Pitt, who is usually a top 20 program and you have a very good 5 every year.

Then, you add in UVA, FSU, etc...teams that are good in some years and you have an excellent conference.

As a coach, you may want to be part of that and get out of the Big East(which isn't bad but not at that level).

Yeah, the ACC is setting up to be the best basketball conference again.

But, I don't think that means you would want to leave a great program, in a decent conference, and go take over the bottom of the barrel in the ACC. It just makes it that much more likely that you get fired. Of course, it appears that he has problems with administration at Marquette.

#149 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

But, I don't think that means you would want to leave a great program, in a decent conference, and go take over the bottom of the barrel in the ACC. It just makes it that much more likely that you get fired. Of course, it appears that he has problems with administration at Marquette.

Also, it says in the article, Marquette is expected to be worse next year and he sees the "writing on the wall." Only thing he could be holding for is Wake, which means of course they'd have to want him. I don't think Wazzu is necessarily a better job.

@levineps

#150 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,288 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

That's just a bunch of BS ESPN bias. Marquette has a top 20 recruiting class in the country coming in next fall.

#151 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Buzz is getting paid (ESPN)

Sources said Williams' seven-year deal with Virginia Tech is worth almost $18 million.

Not sure if this is all guaranteed?

His buyout to leave Marquette was only $100,000. The source said Williams made over $3 million a year at Marquette last year.

Even though he's getting less money, this might've been a good financial decision in the long-run. I'm not sure when his contract at Marquette expired, doesn't say in the article and it's tougher to get that info at private schools.

@levineps

#152 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

That's just a bunch of BS ESPN bias. Marquette has a top 20 recruiting class in the country coming in next fall.

You think ESPN is more biased against the BE, since they don't have that contract?

@levineps

#153 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,288 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

You think ESPN is more biased against the BE, since they don't have that contract?

Absolutely.

#154 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

VT has been good in the past. They can be the in the top half of the conference IMO.

#155 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Sean and Archie Miller look so much alike.

#156 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

VT has been good in the past. They can be the in the top half of the conference IMO.

They've been to the tourney once in the last 18 years.

Sure the can finish in the top half of the conference for any given year. However, expecting it to be a regular occurrence in a conference like the ACC is wishful thinking.

I get that he must have wanted out of Marquette, but I would think he could do better than Va Tech.

#157 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Sure the can finish in the top half of the conference for any given year. However, expecting it to be a regular occurrence in a conference like the ACC is wishful thinking.

I get that he must have wanted out of Marquette, but I would think he could do better than Va Tech.

Doesn't seem like there's a ton of options this year, atleast yet. You got Wake/Wazzu right now. And of course, they have to want him. Like I said earlier I don't know his contract situation as private schools don't have to divulge. You could argue should've waited until next year and you maybe right.

Edit: Forgot BC, but who knows if he would've been in the picture there with Calhoun and possibly Amaker.

@levineps

#158 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

But they have done well in ACC...just never beat anyone outside of the conference.

#159 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

ESPNBen Howland interested in job

Multiple sources close to Howland told ESPN that he is "extremely interested" in the Marquette opening.

Sources told ESPN.com that Syracuse coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins and former Marquette player and assistant Brian Wardle, who is currently the head coach at Green Bay, are also in the mix. Dayton's Archie Miller has also emerged as a candidate, according to sources.

@levineps

#160 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Archie Miller should wait for something bigger in my opinion...

@beginthebegin71

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=