#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

@D1scourse I like Donahue and do think he knows what he's doing. But this year was awful at BC from the get-go. Didn't think he'd get a fifth year.

@levineps

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Stan Heath out at USF (ESPN)

@levineps

#84 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

CBS SportsVirginia Tech fires James Johnson after two seasons

I'd love to hear Seth Greenberg's "real" opinions on this.

@levineps

#85 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

CBS SportsBruce Pearl in line to be Auburn's next men's basketball coach

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs met with Pearl in Knoxville on Monday, ESPN.com reported. Jacobs fired Tony Barbee after the Tigers' lost in the SEC Tournament. A source told CBSSports.com that Auburn might be willing to pay around $2 million per year for Pearl.

@levineps

#86 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I really wanted Maryland to hire Pearl after Gary retired.  Love his energy and enthusiasm.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I really wanted Maryland to hire Pearl after Gary retired.  Love his energy and enthusiasm.

Yeah like him as well, he's a fellow Tribe member after all! Pretty remarkable record he's got.

@levineps

#88 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

@GoodmanESPN Bruce Pearl has taken the Auburn job. Done deal.

@levineps

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I'm happy for Auburn - this is as good as it is going to get for a program like Auburn. Perfect fit, because Pearl could stay awhile and embrace the "sleeping giant" aspect of that program, especially since they were willing to give him a shot after all the stuff he's been through.

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I'm happy for Auburn - this is as good as it is going to get for a program like Auburn. Perfect fit, because Pearl could stay awhile and embrace the "sleeping giant" aspect of that program, especially since they were willing to give him a shot after all the stuff he's been through.

Trying to think what schools have as it appears a better basketball/football combo of coaches? Small sample size with Malzahn, but I like the guy.

@levineps

#91 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Michigan State might have the best right now with Mark D/Izzo.

Florida might have the all-time best when Urban Meyer/Billy Donovan were there at the same time.

Edit:Mack Brown/Dean Smith were at UNC at the same time as was Dick Vermeil/John Wooden. I'm sure there's others just thinking off the top of my head.

@levineps

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

I recall remember reading as a divorced dad, it was important for him to stay near his kids -- one of the reasons he turned down the Mavs farm team job. Moving to Auburn isn't too much of a lifestyle change.

@levineps

#93 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

@GoodmanESPN Former Memphis and McNeese coach Tic Price will get the permanent gig at Lamar today, sources confirmed to ESPN.

@levineps

#94 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

CBS SportsVirginia Tech fires James Johnson after two seasons

I'd love to hear Seth Greenberg's "real" opinions on this.

It's a new AD - so any chance Greeny would consider a return? I bet they'd love him back.

#95 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's a new AD - so any chance Greeny would consider a return? I bet they'd love him back.

I've mentioned this before but it's very rare for college coaches to return after being fired to that institution and I'd be even more surprised in such in a short order here. There's just so many more openings than the pros and the collegiate atmosphere -- although still a business -- makes the firing more hurtful. They usually donate part of their salaries to the schools, send their kids there, etc.

The firing of Greenberg wasn't so bad to me, it was doing it as late as they did and getting someone unqualified. Although Greenberg didn't get them over the hump, it's a very tough job in the ACC at a place that lives/breathes football(the disparity being bigger than the typical BCS school from football to basketball).

@levineps

#96 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Big hire for the good guys. We've gone with up and comers the last two times. This hire needed to be someone who could breathe life into the program. It's not going to happen overnight, but we'll be competing in the SEC again soon.

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Big hire for the good guys. We've gone with up and comers the last two times. This hire needed to be someone who could breathe life into the program. It's not going to happen overnight, but we'll be competing in the SEC again soon.

With as down as the SEC is right now, they could start making noise sooner than people think. Of course, I'm unaware of the incoming SEC recruits for next season, so that could change some.

#98 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Awful AnnouncingAUBURN HIRES ESPN BASKETBALL ANALYST BRUCE PEARL

As far as Pearl’s leaving ESPN, he was decent as a studio analyst but it always felt like he was just biding his time until he could return to coaching.  Pearl went to ESPN at roughly the same time as former Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg.  Pearl’s television career never quite took off the way Greenberg’s did as ESPN has spotlighted the former Hokie on several high-profile platforms.  ESPN is so deeply stocked with great college basketball analysts and Pearl leaving won’t change the dynamic in Bristol too much as he heads to Auburn.

Maybe he’ll have Aaron Craft over for a cookout to celebrate.

@levineps

#99 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Trying to think what schools have as it appears a better basketball/football combo of coaches? Small sample size with Malzahn, but I like the guy.

If you view them strictly for their team's accomplishments, the Pitino/Petrino combo at Louisville is pretty solid.

#100 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

If you view them strictly for their team's accomplishments, the Pitino/Petrino combo at Louisville is pretty solid.

That's all I really care about; in terms of scandals, they could be up there as well. Good call!

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=