#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

If every coach had to sit out a year while still employed by another year, there would be a lot less turnover. It would completely change how they did contracts. I don't think Brad Stevens/Shaka Smart is agreeing to those 10 year deals every year.

I think you need the transfer rules in place, else the athletes would be transferring left/right whenever they lost playing time. The sitting out a year is necessary IMO.

Not if the coach leaves.

Most of the time, a kid is going to a particular school because they have a good relationship with the coach.

If that coach is gone, the player should be able to transfer without penalty.

#42 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Not if the coach leaves.

Most of the time, a kid is going to a particular school because they have a good relationship with the coach.

If that coach is gone, the player should be able to transfer without penalty.

By that logic, since kids are signing up for the coach not the school, whole team rosters would have voids.

The truth of the matter is when you sign your letter of intent you are signing up for the school NOT the coach. I realize the logic is usually reversed, but that's the way it is.
@levineps

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

By that logic, since kids are signing up for the coach not the school, whole team rosters would have voids.

The truth of the matter is when you sign your letter of intent you are signing up for the school NOT the coach. I realize the logic is usually reversed, but that's the way it is.

But its not true. Coaches go into these players homes, develop a repoire with them over several years.

Sure, you have schools like Duke or kentucky or someone like that where the kids just go there because of the school but for the most part, the coach, their style of play, etc...is what draws a kid to a certain school.

And if a coach decides to leave for greener pastures and there is no penalty to that, then the kid should have that same chance.

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

But its not true. Coaches go into these players homes, develop a repoire with them over several years.

Sure, you have schools like Duke or kentucky or someone like that where the kids just go there because of the school but for the most part, the coach, their style of play, etc...is what draws a kid to a certain school.

And if a coach decides to leave for greener pastures and there is no penalty to that, then the kid should have that same chance.

I'm not not disagreeing with the reasons kids choose the school, what I am saying is that the contract they sign is with the school NOT the coach. Maybe more kids should be choosing a school for the school instead of the coach.

Not sure what the average stay of the coach is, but in many cases, coaches don't last more than 3-5 years. There's a really good chance the coach who recruited you will not be there by your senior year.

If a coach retires or resigns, should a kid be able to leave without penalty too or just when a coach leaves for another school?

During the Tim Floyd-USC thing a few weeks ago, one of the analysts (I think Seth Greenberg) made a good point that he didn't blame Floyd for talking to USC because it was a better job than UTEP and said if his roster could've gone to USC, they would as well.
@levineps

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

ESPN: Flip Saunders declines Gophers job

http://espn.go.com/m...job-source-says

How bad is the Minnesota job, Flip would rather stay in Bristol than return to his Alma Matter.
@levineps

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm not not disagreeing with the reasons kids choose the school, what I am saying is that the contract they sign is with the school NOT the coach. Maybe more kids should be choosing a school for the school instead of the coach.

This is a nice wish but it's like saying professional athletes should choose their team because of the city and the fans and a bunch of other factors instead of the money offered.

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

This is a nice wish but it's like saying professional athletes should choose their team because of the city and the fans and a bunch of other factors instead of the money offered.

Except it's not a wish, you do actually sign up for a school not the coach.

Terrible analogy -- pro athletes contracts are with their teams, not the city or fans.

I know you like arguing just for the sake of arguing. And it seems to me, that you specifically try to disagree with me on everything. I'm talking about the contract the players signs, not talking about the actual logic.
@levineps

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Except it's not a wish, you do actually sign up for a school not the coach.

Terrible analogy -- pro athletes contracts are with their teams, not the city or fans.

I know you like arguing just for the sake of arguing. And it seems to me, that you specifically try to disagree with me on everything. I'm talking about the contract the players signs, not talking about the actual logic.

Yes, but you are talking about changing the logic from the coach (or the facilities, or the location, or the parties, etc.) to the school itself. Very few players choose to go to a specific school for reasons relating to that school; I mean, you can major in communication anywhere, and for the sports and athletes we're discussing the specific education rarely matters.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yes, but you are talking about changing the logic from the coach (or the facilities, or the location, or the parties, etc.) to the school itself. Very few players choose to go to a specific school for reasons relating to that school; I mean, you can major in communication anywhere, and for the sports and athletes we're discussing the specific education rarely matters.

Ok I know you enjoy being obnoxious.
@levineps

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Ok I know you enjoy being obnoxious.

And you enjoy hiding behind insults to avoid defending your arguments. If you don't have an answer, fine. But at least be honest about it and either admit it or don't respond.

Now, what about my point is an issue?

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

ESPN: Source: Tubby Smith to Texas Tech

http://espn.go.com/m...by-smith-source

If Miami of Ohio (football) is the "Cradle of Coaches," is Texas Tech becoming the "Grave of Coaches?" Who would've guessed a decade-and-a-half ago Lubbock, wouldn't have not one but two national championship head coaches.
@levineps

#52 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've always liked Tubby Smith, but I think he could have been a tad more patient and gotten a better job. Even if he sat out a season...what do I know, though..
@beginthebegin71

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

I've always liked Tubby Smith, but I think he could have been a tad more patient and gotten a better job. Even if he sat out a season...what do I know, though..

Let's not forget he poked around while he was Minnesota. I don't think that's been stated enough. If he's not willing to show loyalty to them, why should anyone feel like he's being given raw deal otherwise?

If my company knows I'm looking for other jobs, even if I'm doing a decent job, why should they feel the need to keep me? Just saying as cliche as it sounds, loyalty is a two-way street.
@levineps

#54 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Let's not forget he poked around while he was Minnesota. I don't think that's been stated enough. If he's not willing to show loyalty to them, why should anyone feel like he's being given raw deal otherwise?

If my company knows I'm looking for other jobs, even if I'm doing a decent job, why should they feel the need to keep me? Just saying as cliche as it sounds, loyalty is a two-way street.

Fair point, and I know he was considered for a few ACC jobs, but from his perspective, i just think he can do better than Texas Tech..
@beginthebegin71

#55 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Enfield to USC close to a deal.

http://sportsillustr... ... &eref=sihp
@beginthebegin71

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Enfield to USC close to a deal.

http://sportsillustr... ... &eref=sihp

Awesome..good for him.

That style in southern Cali? Great hire.

#57 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Official:
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 1m
Enfield signs a six-year deal at USC. Enfield met with USC Monday a.m. and the deal was done tonight.

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Official:
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 1m
Enfield signs a six-year deal at USC. Enfield met with USC Monday a.m. and the deal was done tonight.

I think this is either really going to work or it's going to be a complete disaster. Clearly his style of play will sell some tickets. I'm just wondering if he can compete in a power conference. He hasn't coached above the Atlantic Sun, this is the Missouri Valley or Mountain West, it's a one-bid league.
@levineps

#59 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Jimmy Patsos is moving on to Siena.

This may come as a surprise, but considering Loyola is heading to the Patriot League and Siena is rumored to be getting an A10 invite soon, it makes sense.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

ESPN: New Mexico hires Craig Neal

http://espn.go.com/m...ce-steve-alford
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic