Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

IDK...Certainly possible.

The thought has always been that the replacement for K would be a Duke guy....it used to be Amaker, then Dawkins and now Collins.

Im not sure that I buy that a Duke guy gets the job. If I had to handicap it right now, I would put Stevens #1.

Now, the question will be, would you want to follow K and maybe a Duke guy that worked under him would find that easier...but I think an "outsider" makes more sense.

I thought that with Dawkins when he took the Stanford position, the longer they toil in medocrity, the less likely I think he's the answer. Amaker isn't a terrible choice, he got a raw deal IMO at Michigan and has done a great job at Harvard -- I know Duke is a different animal.

I don't think Stevens leaves for Duke, could be wrong, it will be interesting to see if UCLA goes after him. I thought pre-Crean turning it around, there was a decent chance he'd end up at Indiana.

I wonder if they try to do the coach-in-waiting idea like they've done at Purdue and with SMU under Larry Brown?
@levineps

#22 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Supposedly Shaka Smart is in Minneapolis today...We'll see.
@beginthebegin71

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Supposedly Shaka Smart is in Minneapolis today...We'll see.

Hard to believe he would go there after turning down Illinois. I mean, whats the difference? Minnesota going to pay a lot more?

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I thought that with Dawkins when he took the Stanford position, the longer they toil in medocrity, the less likely I think he's the answer. Amaker isn't a terrible choice, he got a raw deal IMO at Michigan and has done a great job at Harvard -- I know Duke is a different animal.

I don't think Stevens leaves for Duke, could be wrong, it will be interesting to see if UCLA goes after him. I thought pre-Crean turning it around, there was a decent chance he'd end up at Indiana.

I wonder if they try to do the coach-in-waiting idea like they've done at Purdue and with SMU under Larry Brown?

Duke is a small university in a small town...Very Butler-esque feel to things. That's why I could see Stevens leaving and going to Duke.

I don't think he would(or should) leave Butler for UCLA.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hard to believe he would go there after turning down Illinois. I mean, whats the difference? Minnesota going to pay a lot more?

The AD at Minnesota, used to be the AD at VCU. I would NOT be shocked at all, if he was hired there.
@levineps

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

The AD at Minnesota, used to be the AD at VCU. I would NOT be shocked at all, if he was hired there.

Didn't know that...interesting point.

He was from Illinois though and didn't jump ship.

Going to be tough to win in the B10 if you are Minnesota BUT Shaka is a hell of a coach and his style is very unique, so you never know.

#27 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Is Minnesota really a better job than VCU? I don't think it's a slam dunk at all.

Pun intended!
@beginthebegin71

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Now, the question will be, would you want to follow K and maybe a Duke guy that worked under him would find that easier...but I think an "outsider" makes more sense.

Mostly because none of the Duke guys have really had much success elsewhere. If Collins miraculously gets Northwestern into the tournament then moves to a bigger school for a few years and does well, I think he's definitely in the running. I doubt that happens though.

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Is Minnesota really a better job than VCU? I don't think it's a slam dunk at all.

Pun intended!

I call your pun and raise you:

I'd be shocked if Smart decided to go to Minnesota, because I think the Rams are a better hoops program than the Gophers.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Mostly because none of the Duke guys have really had much success elsewhere. If Collins miraculously gets Northwestern into the tournament then moves to a bigger school for a few years and does well, I think he's definitely in the running. I doubt that happens though.

Collins can coach and recruit. I see no reason why he can't do this.

The question I have is, when does K retire and will a guy like Collins have enough time to prove himself before that happens?

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Didn't know that...interesting point.

He was from Illinois though and didn't jump ship.

Going to be tough to win in the B10 if you are Minnesota BUT Shaka is a hell of a coach and his style is very unique, so you never know.

They need a practice facility and improvements to their outdated arena (I would hate if they replaced it, but it probably needs to be brought up to 21st century standards). Best thing Jeff Bzdelik did for Colorado basketball is he made as a condition of his employment, a practice facility in his contract. If I were Shaka, I'd use that leverage.
@levineps

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Pun intended!

Might not be right now, but it can be since they are the flagship school (bigger budget), in a better conference, in a bigger market, etc. I know many of said "it's too cold." Columbus, Ann Arbor, and Madison aren't exactly tropical results. Syracuse sure as hell isn't one. Many used the same justification for Colorado never being able to become a basketball school -- and they aren't yet. Ron Franklin a few years used the excuse why the fans didn't show up because of skiing. Well, this year they drew atleast 80% capacity to every game, 90% to the conference games. At Miami, they realized they had a basketball game after they beat Duke. People will support a team that wins.
@levineps

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Collins can coach and recruit. I see no reason why he can't do this.

It's still Northwestern, the only major conference team to never make the NCAA tournament. I think Collins can do well, but making the tournament is a lot to ask there. I don't think it's impossible, but I'd say it's unlikely he gets them into the tournament. I think if he gets them close a couple times and can show he bring in solid talent as the top dog, then he probably gets a better job before they finally get into the dance.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

It's still Northwestern, the only major conference team to never make the NCAA tournament. I think Collins can do well, but making the tournament is a lot to ask there. I don't think it's impossible, but I'd say it's unlikely he gets them into the tournament. I think if he gets them close a couple times and can show he bring in solid talent as the top dog, then he probably gets a better job before they finally get into the dance.

They almost got in last year.

You do have chicago to recruit from.

It is tough, no doubt but that doesn't mean he can't coach or show that he can coach even if he fails to get to the tourney.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

ESPN: Dave Paulsen gets 5-year extension (Bucknell)

http://espn.go.com/m...-year-extension

ESPN: Shaka Smart staying at VCU

http://espn.go.com/m...-coach-vcu-rams

ESPN: Chris Collins to coach N'western

http://espn.go.com/c...asketball-coach

ESPN: Ken Bone to return next season (Washington State)

http://espn.go.com/m...ars-next-season

ESPN: Ray Giacoletti new coach at Drake

http://espn.go.com/m...-drake-bulldogs
@levineps

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Tubby Smith heading to Texas Tech?

http://espn.go.com/m... ... rs-sources

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Steve Alford, who hasn't been to the S16 since 1999, is the new UCLA coach.

He signed a 10 year contract with NM within the last 2 weeks.

And yet when a player transfers, he has to sit out a year. What a joke.

#38 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel 7m
Source: USC is targeting Florida Gulf Coast’s Andy Enfield as coaching candidate

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel 7m
Source: USC is targeting Florida Gulf Coast’s Andy Enfield as coaching candidate

I wouldn't even call the Atlantic Sun a "mid-major," they are a low major. He might be a fit at a BCS school, but do you really want to hire someone off a few good weeks? This is a team that finished second in their conference, a one-bid league conference. If he had done this for 2-3 years, I'd understand. I think the risk/reward on this pretty high on both ends.
@levineps

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Steve Alford, who hasn't been to the S16 since 1999, is the new UCLA coach.

He signed a 10 year contract with NM within the last 2 weeks.

And yet when a player transfers, he has to sit out a year. What a joke.

If every coach had to sit out a year while still employed by another year, there would be a lot less turnover. It would completely change how they did contracts. I don't think Brad Stevens/Shaka Smart is agreeing to those 10 year deals every year.

I think you need the transfer rules in place, else the athletes would be transferring left/right whenever they lost playing time. The sitting out a year is necessary IMO.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=