#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Los Angeles Times: Ex-coach Tim Floyd meets with USC's Pat Haden about basketball job

http://www.latimes.c...,0,813960.story
@levineps

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

ESPN: Northwestern fires Bill Carmody

http://espn.go.com/c...ch-bill-carmody

Even by Northwestern standards, he lasted much longer than he should've. No other BCS-affliated team would tolerate 13 years of no NCAA Tourney experiences.

The Wildcats, riddled with injuries the past two seasons, will likely look at Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, who is from Northbrook, Ill., and according to sources, is interested. Lehigh's Brett Reed is also expected to be a strong candidate.

@levineps

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

ESPN: Minnesota fires coach Tubby Smith

http://espn.go.com/m...-tourney-ouster
You might remember I said earlier this year, I didn't get why he was getting an extension. I have no problem with his firing, but I don't like how they just did it in light of that.
@levineps

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria
Bobby Hurley has accepted a 5-year contract to be the head coach at Buffalo, source with knowledge tells @SNYtv

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Good signing. I doubt he's there for long.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

ESPN: Minnesota fires coach Tubby Smith

http://espn.go.com/m...-tourney-ouster
You might remember I said earlier this year, I didn't get why he was getting an extension. I have no problem with his firing, but I don't like how they just did it in light of that.

Well I know they had an interesting out-clause where they could get out of the deal fairly affordably. So it doesn't appear that it was a typical extension. Apparently he just lost the locker room this year. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go for the replacement.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Well I know they had an interesting out-clause where they could get out of the deal fairly affordably. So it doesn't appear that it was a typical extension. Apparently he just lost the locker room this year. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go for the replacement.

I just don't like the whole "vote of confidence" and then you're fired in such short term. I realize mostly all these contracts have buyout clauses to protect both parties.
@levineps

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I just don't like the whole "vote of confidence" and then you're fired in such short term. I realize mostly all these contracts have buyout clauses to protect both parties.

Piggybacking on what Ricker said, it looks to me like they gave him an extension so that he could tell recruits that he would be there for their whole career. It's gotta be tough to convince recruits to come and commit for 4 years if you're on a lame duck contract. But it looks like both sides knew that Tubby's time there was going to be ending sooner rather than later so they put a fairly unusual clause in the deal that they could get out of the extension and only pay a fraction of the contract after one year. Tubby is a classy guy and likely would've taken the high road either way, but his high praise and appreciation for the opportunity at Minnesota, and the lack of any hint of criticism or disbelief of the move form what I've seen, lends me to believe they had some sort of under-the-table exit strategy in place.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Piggybacking on what Ricker said, it looks to me like they gave him an extension so that he could tell recruits that he would be there for their whole career. It's gotta be tough to convince recruits to come and commit for 4 years if you're on a lame duck contract. But it looks like both sides knew that Tubby's time there was going to be ending sooner rather than later so they put a fairly unusual clause in the deal that they could get out of the extension and only pay a fraction of the contract after one year. Tubby is a classy guy and likely would've taken the high road either way, but his high praise and appreciation for the opportunity at Minnesota, and the lack of any hint of criticism or disbelief of the move form what I've seen, lends me to believe they had some sort of under-the-table exit strategy in place.

Recruits should be able to see through this with all the turnover. More athletes should look at it that they are signing up for the school not the coach. Good chance regardless of the school you sign up that your coach isn't going to be their for four years whether they get fired, leave for a better opportunity, or retire.
@levineps

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Recruits should be able to see through this with all the turnover. More athletes should look at it that they are signing up for the school not the coach. Good chance regardless of the school you sign up that your coach isn't going to be their for four years whether they get fired, leave for a better opportunity, or retire.

Doesn't really matter how it should be, athletes always go for the coach and not the school. Having a coach who's signed for a long time is important to help convince them the coach will be there a long time. That's why guys are always signing extensions for deals that aren't even up for another 3-4 years, like Dixon just did with Pittsburgh.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

Doesn't really matter how it should be, athletes always go for the coach and not the school. Having a coach who's signed for a long time is important to help convince them the coach will be there a long time. That's why guys are always signing extensions for deals that aren't even up for another 3-4 years, like Dixon just did with Pittsburgh.

But it does matter when the coach leaves. And that's why more kids should choose the school, not the coach especially if it's one in hot water (take Wake). The school will always be there with it's facilities/academics/etc but the coach doesn't have to sit out a year and can just run at any point. It's pretty naive to think a contract can't just be ripped up on either end at any point. I'll bet anything Jamie Dixon doesn't last close to as long as contract as his contract runs through.
@levineps

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

But it does matter when the coach leaves. And that's why more kids should choose the school, not the coach especially if it's one in hot water (take Wake). The school will always be there with it's facilities/academics/etc but the coach doesn't have to sit out a year and can just run at any point. It's pretty naive to think a contract can't just be ripped up on either end at any point. I'll bet anything Jamie Dixon doesn't last close to as long as contract as his contract runs through.

Well 17-18 year old kids should do a lot of things they don't... but they're 17-18 so they're not exactly making adult decisions. What you say is logical, but it's just not the reality.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Good signing. I doubt he's there for long.

Yep...I also bet if they make the tourney, Buffalo will miraculously be put in a first round matchup vs Duke.

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Yep...I also bet if they make the tourney, Buffalo will miraculously be put in a first round matchup vs Duke.

Cool, another team to root against!!
@beginthebegin71

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Well 17-18 year old kids should do a lot of things they don't... but they're 17-18 so they're not exactly making adult decisions. What you say is logical, but it's just not the reality.

Yeah, I even get it 20 years ago, when coaches weren't expected to ride the ship in 3-5 years or else. I just remember something Cody Hawkins said when his father, Dan Hawkins was fired from Colorado about NOT "signing up" to play for him but to play for Colorado.

Well these teenagers are making the ultimate decision, assuming their parents sign over (as we found out that occasionally is an adventure), I'm sure there getting much advice from their parents, family friends, coaches, etc.
@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

CBS Sports: Wake Forest's Ron Wellman made a losing bet (but still won't admit it)

http://www.cbssports...ses-to-admit-it

I'll be the first to admit, I probably won't be giving the most objective POV. I'm not shocked given the relationship between the AD and coach, but I can't see how he keeps his job. Beating Miami and NC State offset all their bad losses?

He left a relatively good situation at Colorado as evidenced by three straight postseason appearances since he left including two straight NCAA ones. He completely tore Wake apart, but are they satisfied with lack of progress? Have to think it's win or else this year.

Nonetheless, I have a great deal of respect of what Bzdelik did for Colorado. He basically forced the AD to upgrade their facilities as a condition for coming to CU and did a good job of rebuilding as mentioned above. Difference between CU and Wake is the expectations are much higher at the latter, even if they increased substantially at the former.
@levineps

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:44 AM

It's impressive to be so bad that you make a fanbase long for the good ol' days of Dino Gaudio, who I still think is the worst in-game coach I've ever seen. He could definitely recruit, though.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS
Chris Collins to Northwestern (hoops) is a done deal. Announcement expected later today. via @GoodmanCBS

Duke loses a key asst and recruiter.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS
Chris Collins to Northwestern (hoops) is a done deal. Announcement expected later today. via @GoodmanCBS

Duke loses a key asst and recruiter.

You think this is a quasi-audition to be K's replacement at Duke?
@levineps

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

You think this is a quasi-audition to be K's replacement at Duke?

IDK...Certainly possible.

The thought has always been that the replacement for K would be a Duke guy....it used to be Amaker, then Dawkins and now Collins.

Im not sure that I buy that a Duke guy gets the job. If I had to handicap it right now, I would put Stevens #1.

Now, the question will be, would you want to follow K and maybe a Duke guy that worked under him would find that easier...but I think an "outsider" makes more sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=