Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Mind-numbingly awful.

http://www.dcunited.com/standings

Some PL teams I'd love to see them go up against...Ipswich Town from 94/95, Watford 99/00, Sunderland 02/03 and 05/06, Derby County 07/08.

#122 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, you almost have to try to be as bad as they've been this year.   Now I know Ben and Co. have been kind handcuffed by the owners b/c they didn't want to spend much with the teams uncertain stadium situation and all, but with that hopefully settled now you'd hope they owners open up the purse-strings a little more in 2014.  That said, for Dave Kasper and Ben and Co. to think they could essentially go into this season with the same roster as last year (actually a lesser roster b/c they lost Najar, Boscovic, and a handful of others) and expect the same results as last year was borderline delusional.

In all honesty nothing will make me happier than reading the words "Dave Kasper fired" or "Dave Kasper resigns" or whatever.  He's just not good.  And if/when they bring in the a new GM and that possibly means the end of Benny as coach, unfortunately, so be it.  You're hired to get fired.  Just give Benny some FO/scouting/goodwill ambassador to the team role and let him stay with the club.

• Don Quixote likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#123 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yahoo: This is what a Seattle record attendance looks like
http://sports.yahoo....-073812371.html

Would be awesome to see Baltimore have a team and that type of environment at some point.

#124 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I watched that game last night and it was a pretty good match.  It was fast paced for most of the 1st half and it was nice to see someone on the US team get a goal (although I was rooting for Portland).  I just wish they didn't have to play on that stupid turf.

Oh, and if anyone saw the DCU game, good ol'e Dejean Jakovic had a pretty costly giveaway that led to Toronto's tying goal.  I understand that he's not the root cause of DCU's craptacular season but his terrible play sure isn't helping.

#125 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yahoo: This is what a Seattle record attendance looks like
http://sports.yahoo....-073812371.html

Would be awesome to see Baltimore have a team and that type of environment at some point.

We're stuck in the fourth level with a team playing at Loyola. I'd like to see it too, but I'm not holding my breath :P

@DJ_McCann

#126 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

DCU's playing out here later today. Thank goodness for getting severely discounted tickets online since in 2013 a DCU and Chivas game isn't a high draw. Regardless, it should be a fun game and always gotta like seeing United play in person.

Vamos United.

#127 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

DCU's playing out here later today. Thank goodness for getting severely discounted tickets online since in 2013 a DCU and Chivas game isn't a high draw. Regardless, it should be a fun game and always gotta like seeing United play in person.

Vamos United.

So of course, they didn't score. Too bad they can't throw Moreno in on Saturday. ;)

#128 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hahahahaha that's exactly what the wife said during the game.

Her: "Too bad they don't have Moreno out there."
Me: "You mean as a coach?"
Her: "No, I mean as a player. He'd probably be more productive than these guys."

The first half we seemed to control the majority of thr possession but just didn't have any threat in the final 3rd (what else is new?) outside of a few chances. Chivas seemed to have more of the possession during the 2nd half and of course they scored. Luckily we were out getting beer during the goal so we missed it. Afterwards a few of the guys were nice enough to come over and say hello, thank us for coming out, etc., etc., but by now that's old hat for us.

It was an okay turnout for DCU fans and of course the DeLeon and Pontius families were out in full force.

Wooden spoon here we come.

#129 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

NBC Sports / PST: MLS Week in Review
http://prosoccertalk...eview-round-31/

#130 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Granted DCU's season went in the crapper long, long, long ago but they have a chance to actually win a trophy tonight in the final of the U.S. Open Cup.  Game's in Salt Lake @ 9 on GolTV. 

Olsen has been resting his starters in the prior weeks for this match so DCU may actually run out a competent (or somewhat competent) squad tonight.

If they win, it'll definitely be the highlight of a historically bad season.  If not, meh, DCU fans are used to losing this year so not biggie.

Offseason though, some heads should be rollin'.

#131 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

DC up 1-0 at half on a late goal by Lewis Neal.

#132 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

And DCU holds on for the 1-0 win.

Another trophy for the case.

#133 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

And DCU holds on for the 1-0 win.

Another trophy for the case.

Completely insane, given how historically awful they've been this season. I'm not sure how to feel about it, to be honest.

#134 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

So, what have you guys thought about MLS this year? Do you find yourself watching more? Do you think the play continues to improve?

#135 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sources: D.C. United Coach Ben Olsen, GM Dave Kasper both expected back next season

Kasper back?!?!  To quote Steve Buckhantz, "Dagger." 

Ugh.

#136 Atomtastic

Atomtastic
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Rumor is that MLS is going to change to a European calendar for the upcoming season.  Got this on my phone, so link at the moment.

#137 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

So would that mean that after this season's MLS Cup in November they'll take off all the way until August? 

And good luck with, who knows many many, snow-games in places like NY, NE, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, etc.

#138 Atomtastic

Atomtastic
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

So would that mean that after this season's MLS Cup in November they'll take off all the way until August? 

And good luck with, who knows many many, snow-games in places like NY, NE, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, etc.

Not only the weather but the NFL owns Sunday and CFB owns Saturday.  No way they can make this switch and not have a drop off in attendance.

#139 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

They're talking about a 6 week winter break to avoid the harshest weather. I hear you guys about going head to head with football, and I'm sure there are people out there who like football and soccer, but most people I know are one or the other.
  • Atomtastic likes this

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Rumor is that MLS is going to change to a European calendar for the upcoming season.  Got this on my phone, so link at the moment.

What a crushing move that would be for the franchise here in Portland, as it means they would be going head-to-head with the Trail Blazers for ticket sales and TV ratings. Totally bad idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=