#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

That's good to hear and I know Reynolds felt that his weight may have hurt him at third but I am not sure I buy that.

Most of his errors were on mental lapses during easy plays.

I have no issue with his weight loss as long as it hasn't been muscle loss and his power is down.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Does anyone know how much his '13 club option is for?

I like the sound of this. I could be wrong, but I don't think Reynolds is the type of player who losing weight would impact his power (like it possibly has with Nick).

Edit: Just noticed the option is for $11.5MM, or a $500k team buy out. Reynolds is likely playing for that option.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Does anyone know how much his '13 club option is for?

I like the sound of this. I could be wrong, but I don't think Reynolds is the type of player who losing weight would impact his power (like it possibly has with Nick).

Edit: Just noticed the option is for $11.5MM, or a $500k team buy out. Reynolds is likely playing for that option.

What will be really interesting is if he has another offensive season like last year (or better, knowing the league), but as terrible a defensive season. Do they pick up the option to move him to DH or hope he can play first? What if Davis breaks out? What if Mahoney or Bell earn a shot and hit well in the majors, and need to play first or DH (though Bell could go to third)?

Basically, I'm just hoping he can field better than last year, if anything to prove me right :D

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

He talked about this at FanFest. He felt he had poor lateral movement, and that he expected the weight loss would help out in that regard.

He also talked about never having been a 3rd baseman prior to the pros, having grown up playing SS.

I've now asked a couple of writers about what it would take for them to think the O's should pick up the option for '13, and the early response seems to be that is a laughable question. To me, all he needs to do is provide the defense he did for Arizona in '09, and '10 to have plenty of value to Baltimore.

Even if that does not occur, I think I'd still want him around in '13. In that scenario, Machado and Hardy could be manning SS and 3rd (to be determined who plays where), with Reynolds at DH.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

What will be really interesting is if he has another offensive season like last year (or better, knowing the league), but as terrible a defensive season. Do they pick up the option to move him to DH or hope he can play first? What if Davis breaks out? What if Mahoney or Bell earn a shot and hit well in the majors, and need to play first or DH (though Bell could go to third)?

Basically, I'm just hoping he can field better than last year, if anything to prove me right :D

It depends on what direction we're heading in. If we think we're a step closer to contention and commit to that route, you keep him and maybe try to rip up his '13 deal and work on a 3 year deal. I wouldn't necessarily advocate that.

I still think we need to flip our trade chips and build the right way for the Bundy/Machado/Schoop/Wieters in his prime/Britton, etc. era. Unfortunately, Reynolds isn't much of a trade chip, IMO, but that's $11.5MM you shouldn't be spending if we're not going to contend. It can be better spent elsewhere.

#6 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

That's good to hear and I know Reynolds felt that his weight may have hurt him at third but I am not sure I buy that.

I have no issue with his weight loss as long as it hasn't been muscle loss and his power is down.

Right but if he let stuff get into his head then losing the weight could help both physically and psychologically.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

He talked about this at FanFest. He felt he had poor lateral movement, and that he expected the weight loss would help out in that regard.

He also talked about never having been a 3rd baseman prior to the pros, having grown up playing SS.

I've now asked a couple of writers about what it would take for them to think the O's should pick up the option for '13, and the early response seems to be that is a laughable question. To me, all he needs to do is provide the defense he did for Arizona in '09, and '10 to have plenty of value to Baltimore.

Even if that does not occur, I think I'd still want him around in '13. In that scenario, Machado and Hardy could be manning SS and 3rd (to be determined who plays where), with Reynolds at DH.

He has to show he can play at least a close to average 3rd base for me to want to bring him back for 11.5M.

The Orioles just can not continue to have a bunch of 2-3 WAR players taking up their entire payroll...they will never get anywhere like that.

But, with 3rd base so weak in all of MLB, if he can be even just a -5ish UZR third baseman, he will be worth bringing back.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

He has to show he can play at least a close to average 3rd base for me to want to bring him back for 11.5M.

The Orioles just can not continue to have a bunch of 2-3 WAR players taking up their entire payroll...they will never get anywhere like that.

But, with 3rd base so weak in all of MLB, if he can be even just a -5ish UZR third baseman, he will be worth bringing back.

Okay, so if he is able to do that - Would you just pick up the option, or try to sign him for 3ish years?

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Losing the weight can only help in regards to his defense. I actually thought his lateral movement wasn't horrible, not average, but not too far below. However, he was just terrible on any ball he had to charge. Also, while he's not a butcher actually fielding the ball he had a tendency to let balls eat him up. He's definitely going to have to improve to consider picking up his '13 option. His offense isn't good enough to be spending 11 mil on as a 1B or DH.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Okay, so if he is able to do that - Would you just pick up the option, or try to sign him for 3ish years?

I think about it the same as you. The direction the team is moving will be critical.

If he's playing solid defense and still putting up good offense, but the young pitchers are not showing anything to suggest they can be counted on to lead the team to contention in the future, he will be a fantastic trade chip. If the team thinks that a contender is a few players away, you look to ink an extension.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

$11M is a lot to pay Reynolds next year, but if he can get his defense back to an acceptable level and still bash out 35-40 HRs, it may be worth it.

I think if after this season you are comfortable with him at 3B defensively, then you probably go ahead and pick up the option. But if he has to move to 1B or even DH, then you probably decline it. I wonder if declining the option and then trying to resign him at maybe $5-8M for a couple seasons to be the DH is a viable option.

I'm rooting for him to have a good year. Not just because it obviously helps the team, but I like the guy. It's good to see that he is working hard in the offseason to try and improve his defense and stay in great shape throughout the year.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yea, I would pick up the option even if I just wanted to trade him coming off a good year.

No, I wouldn't extend him.

What Esposito does this year is important in all of this as well...also, will Machado have to be moved off of SS?

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Losing the weight can only help in regards to his defense. I actually thought his lateral movement wasn't horrible, not average, but not too far below. However, he was just terrible on any ball he had to charge. Also, while he's not a butcher actually fielding the ball he had a tendency to let balls eat him up. He's definitely going to have to improve to consider picking up his '13 option. His offense isn't good enough to be spending 11 mil on as a 1B or DH.

I think the coming in on balls is more instinctual than anything.

#14 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

It wasn't long ago that "lost 20 pounds in the offseason" was code for "stopped using steroids"

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

It depends on what direction we're heading in. If we think we're a step closer to contention and commit to that route, you keep him and maybe try to rip up his '13 deal and work on a 3 year deal. I wouldn't necessarily advocate that.

I still think we need to flip our trade chips and build the right way for the Bundy/Machado/Schoop/Wieters in his prime/Britton, etc. era. Unfortunately, Reynolds isn't much of a trade chip, IMO, but that's $11.5MM you shouldn't be spending if we're not going to contend. It can be better spent elsewhere.

I agree with Ricker, not sure how much sense it would make to pay a him $11.5 million for a single year if the O's still are competitive next year, provided he does have a break-out season. Most likely he gets bought out and maybe the O's try to sign him for less money. Still the option and being in the last year of his contract should provide a lot of incentitive to Reynolds.
@levineps

#16 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get a really nice all around year from Reynolds. Hopefully the loss of weight helps him improve his movement a bit, and it also sounds like he's dedicated much of his offseason to improving defensively.

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for power combined with plate discipline, but I'm expecting a solid overall campaign from Mark.

@AdamWolff

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Exactly how I feel. Reynolds fielding problems last year when caused by trying to hard. He started making errors, many throwing, and could not get it stopped.
@mikeghg

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Reynolds was abysmal at 3rd last year. The prior two years, he was below average, but ‘livable’ at the position. I’m pleased the O’s are giving him another chance at 3rd instead of moving him across the diamond. What would you need to see from Reynolds this year, to advocate Baltimore picking up the $11M club option in ’13?”

Jim Callis, Baseball America: “It’s hard for me to see where a team that has no chance of winning in 2013 would want to spend $11 million on Reynolds that year. He does hit for a lot of power, but he’s never going to be much of an AVG/OBP guy and he’s a subpar defender. Best-case scenario is he has a good enough year in 2012 that another team will give up something in trade for him.”

Matthew Pouliot, NBC Sports: “I actually wanted to see Reynolds at first and Davis at third this year. Davis has some pretty awful defensive numbers in the majors, too, but I think he has a bit more to offer at the position. Reynolds, if he has a future in Baltimore, it will almost certainly be at first. On the offensive side, I thought Reynolds’ first year in Baltimore was fairly encouraging. I figured there’d be more of an adjustment period after the league switch, but he was very good from mid-May onwards. I’m projecting him to up his average from .221 last year to .240 this season, and if he does that, then $11 million for 2012 will be reasonable. There are only a handful of right-handed hitters with his kind of power.”

Brandon Warne, FanGraphs: “An average defensive season — which may be quite a stretch — and the exact same offensive season. Basically, if he is a 2-3 win player via FanGraphs WAR, I’d probably pick up the option. Face it, there’s only Chris Davis to play at third otherwise — in terms of youngish, projectable talent — and he’s over at first anyway. Unless there’s a better option at either corner, you probably pick up that option.”

Satchel Price, SB Nation: “Honestly, I’d end the whole Reynolds-at-third base experiment. It’s not working, and he’s a major liability there. He’s a good hitter, and he can provide some value at first base or DH, but the Orioles need to find a new third baseman. Between Antonelli, Betemit, Adams, Davis and Josh Bell, the Orioles have enough options to try something new.”

Marc Normandin, SB Nation: “I don’t think there is anything Mark Reynolds could do to make me think paying him $11 million is a good idea, apart from deciding to not be Mark Reynolds anymore.”

#19 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I know that his 37 homers will be VERY difficult to replace.
@dpsmith22

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

I know that his 37 homers will be VERY difficult to replace.

I agree. If his defense is anywhere near his '09, and '10 levels; he will be a very valuable player that should be part of the equation, and not someone we are looking to replace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=