• Please log in to reply
648 replies to this topic

#621 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:18 AM

The Ringer: Shohei Ohtani’s $700 Million Dodgers Deal Is Unlike Anything Baseball Has Ever Seen

#622 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:09 PM

$2M a year as a player... lots of opportunity to add around him. Could be some unreal teams.

#623 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:33 AM

#624 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 10:16 AM

#625 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2023 - 12:58 AM

Yamamoto to the Dodgers.  12/325.

#626 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 01:00 AM

Gross.

#627 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 05:44 AM

That's a massive deal for him. More money, but less years than Cole.

12 years and essentially $375 million for a relative unknown is crazy. Especially for a pitcher.

Hope it backfires terribly for them.

#628 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:34 AM

Great. Didn't want him in the AL East.

#629 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:40 AM

That's a massive deal for him. More money, but less years than Cole.

12 years and essentially $375 million for a relative unknown is crazy. Especially for a pitcher.

Hope it backfires terribly for them.

Japan is AAAA.
Its not unknown.

You can look at his stuff and know it will translate.

Can be concerned about the different ball, sometimes difference there.

Japan is high quality, but yeah MLB is better.

He doesn't have great size...but while he doesn't lift, he is a guy committed to working out. That bodes well.

He will be comfortable in LA.
He doesn't have to be the Ace, so he doesn't even have that pressure.

I don't like 12 years for anyone, especially a pitcher...but I dont think it matters at all for LA. They are playing a completely different game.
  • RichardZ likes this

#630 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:06 AM

The track record for the highest level Japanese guys coming over is pretty good. It's when you get into the lower tiers that results might get mixed.

• RichardZ likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#631 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:13 AM

The track record for the highest level Japanese guys coming over is pretty good. It's when you get into the lower tiers that results might get mixed.

I think that's mostly true. 

Think it's about understanding what skills directly translate. 

This guy gave up I think 2 homers this year.  That's going to change.

But he also had a 6/1 k/bb ratio.  That is going to play, with all of MLB's free swingers.
His pure stuff is evident. 

• RichardZ likes this

#632 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 01:12 PM

12 years, $325 million, $50.6 million posting fee.

"Baseball America went even higher, with a 70 grade for Yamamoto, saying he "projects to be a No. 2 starter and has a chance to contend for Cy Young Awards."

That's a heck of a deal (for Yamamoto) and for projected #2 starters. I think John Means (if healthy) as well as Grayson and Bradish could be in that category.  Wow, starting pitching is bullish!

#633 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 01:58 PM

ESPN: The Dodgers built a superteam -- now can they win it all?

https://www.espn.com...eam-free-agency

#634 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 December 2023 - 03:18 PM

ESPN: The Dodgers built a superteam -- now can they win it all?

https://www.espn.com...eam-free-agency

That's a great article by Passan.  Draws you in and crushes the narrative.

Side note: A kid that can't start for the Orioles, could improve the Dodgers at SS.

#635 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 11:17 PM

So the remedy for baseball's revenue imbalance is more playoff teams. Yeah, that makes sense.

#636 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:08 AM

Dodgers signed Teoscar Hernandez for 1/23.5 and deferred $8 million. Next highest offer was 2/28 from the Red Sox.

#637 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 January 2024 - 12:26 PM

Dodgers signed Teoscar Hernandez for 1/23.5 and deferred $8 million. Next highest offer was 2/28 from the Red Sox.

The Dodgers just don't care about the cost.  I think there will be a battle over the deferred money issue in the near future.

@mikeghg

#638 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:47 PM

Here's what Posnanski wrote about the Braves and Dodgers after the Sale trade.

See, the top teams, I think, are all coming around to the same idea: The regular season doesn’t mean bupkis. I’ve got to believe that the vast majority of Atlanta folks—I’m talking fans, players, media and so on—look at the Braves’ 88-win season in 2021 as the ultimate triumph. Sure, they had the worst record of any National League playoff team. But they won the World Series.

And I’m sure those same folks look at their 100-win seasons in 2022 and 2023 as bombs. The Braves convincingly lost their lone playoff series each year to a Phillies team that they stomped over the regular season. The 2023 Braves, over six months, had one of the greatest offenses in the history of baseball. But they averaged one run per game in their three losses to the Phillies. And that defines the whole season.

The Dodgers are facing the same questions. It’s all about October now. We baseball fans will watch the regular season because we love baseball, but it means little more than the NBA regular season or the NHL regular season. And the MLB season is A LOT longer than the NBA and NHL regular seasons.

I can’t predict the future—but would it surprise me if teams started using their aces once a week, 22 starts a year, in order to protect them for October? Of course not. Would it surprise me if teams started resting their star players 25 or 35 or more games a year to keep them fresh for October? Of course not. Would it surprise me if teams played for 92 wins instead of 100 or 105 or 110, because 92 wins is enough to get you in the playoffs and that’s all that matters anymore?

Of course not.

This is where the game has been going for a while now, sure, but it’s there now. I, personally, am not a huge fan of it—I’ve long been more of a regular-season guy than a playoff guy—but as I’ve written before, I just love baseball, so I’ll go wherever the game takes me. And the game is taking you and me into a new era, I think, one where soon enough 16 teams will make the playoffs, and the regular season will be mostly for entertainment purposes, and there won’t be very many important games played between April and September.

In other words: I suspect that the Braves believe that if Chris Sale gives them two good starts in October and those help the team go on to the World Series, he will be worth every penny.

• mdrunning likes this

#639 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:13 PM

Interesting thought. 
Mixed feelings here.

Re: MLB teams coming to the idea that all that matters is the post-season. Maybe they have. 
And I get that to a degree...  you are defined by titles. That is what is remembered by the overwhelming majority.

Where I disagree is this is baseball...    you can play 162 game seasons, and you can argue that some numbers are still noisy. When you compress things into short-series, you are going to get variable results. 

I think the biggest accomplishment in baseball is generally building a team / organization that annually contends. That does enough to get to the post-season and roll the dice.  That's a huge accomplishment. 

Also think you have to look at every franchise and the variables they face (again different than the NFL, and NBA imo).
Yes.... the Dodgers have additional pressure to win it all...  given 11 straight years of the post-season, and 1 WS title, coupled with their payroll abilities.    

But even with them... I'd make the same argument.  They've contended annually, which is impressive, and the post-season is just largely random imo.

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#640 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:13 PM

Here's what Posnanski wrote about the Braves and Dodgers after the Sale trade.

I think the cheapening of the regular season is a direct result of the expansion of the postseason.  I don't like it, although I did love the ride when the O's got that 5th wild card spot in both 2012 and 2016.  But I really don't like that the long haul of the regular season can't be celebrated if it's not followed with postseason success.  Obviously you want that success, but not to the extent that all the fun along the way is forgotten and made moot if you don't come through.

Winning it all should be special.  But falling short shouldn't be unspecial by definition.

• mdrunning likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=