153 replies to this topic

#81 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

I think maybe Flash's defensive versatility has hurt his chances of ever playing every day.   Now, some will say he's had plenty of chances and has proved that he can't keep an everyday job.   I don't think that's right.   I think 2 things have hurt him:  the Rule V thing which prevented him from ever having a AAA year, and the fact that he has had extended slumps.  I also think that, when given the chance to wear out a slump, he's shown the kind of bat that fits will with his D...  it's just that every time he got settled in, something happened to interrupt his ongoing goodness.  While I can understand how some folks might look at it differently than that, that's how it seems to me.

What I wanted Buck to do this year was to have Schoop have the thing that Flash never had:  a season to learn how to hit AAA pitching.  And, while that was going on, to have Flash settle in at 2B, giving him his first time ever at knowing he had a job playing everyday.  Then, after a year of both of those things, 2015 would be when push comes to shove about which job each of the 2 of them wind up with.  

Obviously, Buck had a different plan.  I think he expected Schoop to learn how to hit by the end of the year... which he didn't.  He had a similar plan when he had Manny batting 2nd when there was no good reason to do that except to give Manny a chance to figure it out.  He gave Schoop a similar chance this year, and it didn't work.  Now, obviously Buck knows way more about it than I do, but I think his strategy this year cost the O's 2 things:  finding out about Flash handling an everyday job, and letting Schoop have the AAA year that Flash never had.  And I think the main thing that caused that to happen was that Flash is an all-purpose ballplayer who can play anywhere.  I think that very thing is what has kept him from having an extended shot at an everyday job... and likely will continue to do so.  

Which is too bad... not a tragedy, but too bad nonetheless... I think he just might prove to be an excellent 2B who can hit .750-.825 with 20+ dingers... but I expect we'll  never know... from Flash's perspective, there's worse things that can happen than having a long-ish career as an all-purpose ballplayer coming off the bench... maybe not what he wanted, but better than what happens to most guys.  The main thing I don't like is that we'll likely never find out what Flash might have been as an everyday guy... and I think one of his strengths, his versatility, is one of the things that made that lost chance happen...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#82 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

SO I play this game called "9 innings" on my Iphone/Ipad, and I played the full season with the O's. Long story short, the O's were leading the Mariners 6-3 in the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the ALCS, and Flaherty (who I put in after pinch hitting for Schoop) made 2 errors, and "we" blew the lead, only to lose in the 11th. 

Brutal (That is, as brutal as a video game can be).

Yes, I realize this adds nothing to the thread, but I felt the need to share. 

@beginthebegin71

#83 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

SO I play this game called "9 innings" on my Iphone/Ipad, and I played the full season with the O's. Long story short, the O's were leading the Mariners 6-3 in the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the ALCS, and Flaherty (who I put in after pinch hitting for Schoop) made 2 errors, and "we" blew the lead, only to lose in the 11th. 

Great... so Flash screwed up something he had absolutely nothing to do with...  fascist software...  did it have him K or 4-3, or did he not even get an AB?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#84 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

If that actually ever happened, I'd jump.

And then RShack would call me a pansy fan or whatever.
  • BobPhelan likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#85 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

Per Heyman: Ryan flaherty settles with o's for $1.075M. Plus 25K for 400 plate appearances.
@MKlein76

#86 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

2 for 5, with a homer (his 6th) and a triple today. 

The player he's always kind of reminded me of was Kelly Johnson. Now they are teammates.

Season: .200 baa, 6 hr's 24 rbi, 14 bb's, 52 k's, 8 doubles, 1 triple, .594 OPS

I completely forgot Kelly Johnson was on the O's.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Roster spot in danger when Hardy returns?

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

Flaherty to the DL. Feed bad for him, missed opportunity for regular playing time while Schoop is out.

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

MASN:
Ryan Flaherty, just off the disabled list after suffering a groin injury, didn't appear to be comfortable while rounding third base.

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

MASN:

Meanwhile, just four days after returning from a stint on the disabled list with a right groin strain, Ryan Flaherty left tonight's game in the top of the third. Playing second base, he felt the groin grab again while pursuing a Ryan Goins single up the middle.

"It's not pain or anything like that," Flaherty said. "Just something that I haven't dealt with before. Just feels like a grabbing sensation sometimes."

Flaherty said the severity of the injury was nothing like it was when he went on the DL.

"No not like that at all," he said. "And it felt 100 percent when I was playing my rehab games. But obviously, my first at-bat in New York, kind of felt it grab again. There are days it feels 100 percent and some days when you are crossing over, you feel it.

"Pretty frustrating. My first injury and really felt 100 percent after five days of it. To still be dealing with it now is kind of frustrating."

Flaherty is expected to have an MRI tomorrow. He was asked if he feels this latest setback will send him back to the DL.

"Obviously, that is not all in my hands. But it doesn't feel severe, like something is seriously wrong. It's just something that is nagging and bothering me," he said.

http://www.masnsport...eant-a-lot.html

#91 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Sounds more like a cramp or muscle spasm... but maybe not, because he didn't say it was like that... I wonder what it is?

#92 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

Sounds more like a cramp or muscle spasm... but maybe not, because he didn't say it was like that... I wonder what it is?

It's your undying love for him..........  ;)

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#93 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

Optioned to Norfolk...though maybe not really.

@DJ_McCann

#94 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,818 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

$1.5M to avoid arbitration in 2016

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

@Orioles

The Orioles have reinstated RHP Kevin Gausman from the 15-day disabled list and optioned INF Ryan Flaherty to Triple-A Norfolk.

#96 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

@Orioles

The Orioles have reinstated RHP Kevin Gausman from the 15-day disabled list and optioned INF Ryan Flaherty to Triple-A Norfolk.

Somewhat surprising. Wonder who will will backup second base.

#97 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

Optioned to Norfolk...though maybe not really.

Well, apparently Flash was optioned last year

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

Somewhat surprising. Wonder who will will backup second base.

I guess the thought is if Schoop were injured tonight.. you could slide Hardy to 2nd, Machado to SS....  and use Davis at 3rd, Alvarez at 1st?

#99 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:26 PM

I guess the thought is if Schoop were injured tonight.. you could slide Hardy to 2nd, Machado to SS.... and use Davis at 3rd, Alvarez at 1st?

Likely, or Alvarez at 3rd. I kind of like going with 13 pitchers for the moment. Obviously, I don't think Flaherty was the right position player to go, but no need to beat a dead horse.

#100 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

I guess the thought is if Schoop were injured tonight.. you could slide Hardy to 2nd, Machado to SS....  and use Davis at 3rd, Alvarez at 1st?

Maybe they have a deal with the Rays to let us borrow Pearce?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=