139 replies to this topic

#81 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

Totally agree. Worked his tail off to go from a failed SS prospect to being a very serviceable relief pitcher. Likable guy. Great character. Hope he has success.

While drafted as a SS, I thought Orioles system felt he was best suited as a pitcher. Which isnt that unusual, as most pitchers played SS when they wasnt pitching.

I like Givens always have. But, he was too inconsistent for me. Brilliant stuff at times, and then come unhinged at a bad call or bad play behind him.

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

While drafted as a SS, I thought Orioles system felt he was best suited as a pitcher. Which isnt that unusual, as most pitchers played SS when they wasnt pitching.

No, he was a SS. They didn't convert him until 2013 (drafted in 2009).

#83 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

No, he was a SS. They didn't convert him until 2013 (drafted in 2009).

I seam to recall a story, and the org has felt he would be a better pitcher, and that Givens was slow to come around to that.

If my memory is wrong, I apologize. Maybe I am recalling some that was "fake".

#84 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

I seam to recall a story, and the org has felt he would be a better pitcher, and that Givens was slow to come around to that.

If my memory is wrong, I apologize. Maybe I am recalling some that was "fake".

There was some debate over it when he was drafted. Some felt he'd be better as a pitcher, some as a batter. He got his shot as a SS first, but aside from a real short run at Aberdeen and one in the Winter League, he had trouble making contact, and showed real little pop. Give him credit for being willing to give the other side a shot before he ran out of team control, and did much better there, but that's part of why he was such a fantastic fielder at P, cause if the bat had come around he could have been a legit 2 way player.

@JeremyMStrain

#85 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2022 - 06:30 PM

He's back

https://twitter.com/...978649656045568

she/her

#86 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 06:47 PM

Cool. Still has bad splits but he's solid. Welcome back!

#87 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2022 - 06:53 PM

5 million https://twitter.com/...987965167570953

she/her

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 06:59 PM

That seems like another dumb amount but doesn't really matter.

I am interested in the conversations about what they could've spent $23M on instead.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mike B and DuffMan like this

#89 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:01 PM

That seems like another dumb amount but doesn't really matter.

Yeah, this is not what I had in mind when I said they shouldn't be concerned with value on short-term contracts.

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:03 PM

I always liked Givens so in that way this is cool. I'm not really seeing the appeal here though based on how he's pitched since leaving.

#91 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:13 PM

I always liked Givens so in that way this is cool. I'm not really seeing the appeal here though based on how he's pitched since leaving.

He's an upgrade on Joey Krehbiel for guys who can pitch a close game in the 6th/7th/8th. Might be a low bar but it's still useful. 

Screen-Shot-2022-12-19-at-7-08-18-PM.png

• DuffMan likes this

she/her

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:14 PM

$23M on nothing but mediocrity. More window dressing.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:22 PM

Yeah if I didn't like him on a personal level, side-armers in general, and pitchers who are elite fielders I'd think this was pretty dumb. 

Happy to have him in the mix.  But he's not back-end guy anymore.  He's middle relief that ideally you can matchup with righties. 

#94 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:22 PM

2035 hates Givens, so this is gonna be an interesting case study in his willingness to criticize Elias :)

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#95 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

He's an upgrade on Joey Krehbiel for guys who can pitch a close game in the 6th/7th/8th. Might be a low bar but it's still useful. 

Screen-Shot-2022-12-19-at-7-08-18-PM.png

Yes. 

However, this team shouldn't be looking to sign a marginal upgrade on someone who's maybe their 6th or 7th relief pitcher.

Get a high level reliever or just ride with all relievers plus starters that will pitch from the pen (Hall, Voth?) they got.

#96 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:30 PM

I always liked Givens too.  Mad respect for his story (SS to RP) and making it to the highest level and competing well.

The 40 is pretty soft in places so it improves the 40, but I'm not sure how much it moves the needle from the T perspective.

Seems like an odd spot to spend another 5M (like Frazier), but whatever.

We lack any experience in the bullpen, so where a guy like Lopez might not be cool moving backwards in a role, Givens is joining knowing he's a RHed setup guy.  My guess (pending other moves) is it pushes TWells into move of a multi-inning role which is fine in general but may not be for him personally.

There's no "i" in Mychal so it's all Team.

#97 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:31 PM

I'll only continue to point out that space isn't free.  Everyone comes at the expense of someone else and there are consequences, intended and unintended.

#98 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:34 PM

$3 million with a mutual option. He gets $2 million if he exercises it and the team declines, $1 million if the team exercises it and he declines.  

• dude likes this

#99 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:39 PM

I prefer Givens to Trevor May and he got $7M.  Pierce Johnson also is another guy I think I'd prefer Givens to and he got $5M.  So don't really think its an overpay from a market standpoint, but do think that its a modest upgrade if any at a place where we're getting crowded.  Would've rather seen a clearly excellent RP brought in for a lot more money.  Someone to be the setup guy, sliding Tate and Perez down a notch.

#100 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 07:41 PM

$3 million with a mutual option. He gets $2 million if he exercises it and the team declines, $1 million if the team exercises it and he declines.  

How much is the actual option?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=