1320 replies to this topic

#61 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Easton is good, he's not far from a title shot.

Silva did it again. I'd say their trash talk started off fake before the first fight but they definitely don't like each other now.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Jones doesn't seem to be interested in fighting Silva (from radio show):

"It's not that he won't fight me or I won't fight him but to be dead honest we both have a lot to lose and we both respect each other a lot and we both are striving for personal greatness. I don't want to crap on his greatness and I don't want him crapping on my greatness. We're in completely different weight classes. (Host: When you say that because of the outcome of a potential fight or the hype building up to the fight?) We both have sponsor deals and things that are really important to us and a big part of that sponsorship package is being a winner, being a champion. Having us fight each other someone's championship is going to go away. I respect Anderson Silva so much that I don't want to be the guy to beat him. I don't want to lose to him either so it's just like, it's a lose-lose situation."

#63 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

They're in two different weight classes. I don't know why the question was asked. Once Jones feels like he has done everything he can do in his current weight class, I could see him moving up. Not for a while though.
@mrbeanage

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

They're in two different weight classes. I don't know why the question was asked. Once Jones feels like he has done everything he can do in his current weight class, I could see him moving up. Not for a while though.

I think it's an obvious question to ask. Silva has gone up to 205 before and can easily do so again, plus he has dominated his division for years now. Jones has defeated all the other top 205 guys besides Hendo who is next. If he wins that, there's not a great match out there for him imo. Maybe Davis or Gustafson, but both of those guys could and should do more to earn that title match and make it a bigger event.

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

These dream matchups with guys moving up and down for superbouts just aren't going to happen. GSP- Silva was never going to happen and Silva- Jones isn;t going to happen either. Now, I can see Jones eventually moving up to HW and battling Velasquez, JDS, etc but that will be because he naturally gets bigger as he matures.

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

These dream matchups with guys moving up and down for superbouts just aren't going to happen. GSP- Silva was never going to happen and Silva- Jones isn;t going to happen either. Now, I can see Jones eventually moving up to HW and battling Velasquez, JDS, etc but that will be because he naturally gets bigger as he matures.

Silva-Jones could easily happen, though. It's not like GSP-Silva where weight was a big issue. Silva has easily gone up to 205 and fought very well and he can do so again if he and Jones wanted the fight.

#67 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

Silva-Jones could easily happen, though. It's not like GSP-Silva where weight was a big issue. Silva has easily gone up to 205 and fought very well and he can do so again if he and Jones wanted the fight.

Yes it physically could happen but you just read 1 reason why it isn;t going to happen. Neither fighter wants it to happen and Dana White and the UFC doesn't want it to happen either. At least not while both men are dominant.

#68 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yes it physically could happen but you just read 1 reason why it isn;t going to happen. Neither fighter wants it to happen and Dana White and the UFC doesn't want it to happen either. At least not while both men are dominant.

Yeah, well I wonder about White wanting it to happen or not. It would be arguably the biggest fight in UFC history and I don't think it would really damage the loser much. It could also create a great rematch or trilogy of fights.

And what's the great alternative? People being lukewarm to Silva fights because there's no one to challenge him other than Chael (at least in the public's view)? Jones fighting guys he's already handled or guys that aren't established yet?

#69 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

I think White and the UFC probably feel like they can hype a fighter well enough to make people stay interested in whoever it is they put up against a dominant Jones or Silva, or GSP. I mean people love to watch greatness. Why do you watch Lebron?? Greatness. WHy do we all watch golf when Tiger is in contention?? Greatness. Tennis with Federer??? Greatness. Tyson in his prime?? Greatness. As long as UFC does a decent enough job making the opponents believable threats people are going to tune in to watch them get beat down.

#70 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

I think White and the UFC probably feel like they can hype a fighter well enough to make people stay interested in whoever it is they put up against a dominant Jones or Silva, or GSP. I mean people love to watch greatness. Why do you watch Lebron?? Greatness. WHy do we all watch golf when Tiger he is in contention?? Greatness. Tennis with Federer??? Greatness. Tyson in his prime?? Greatness. As long as UFC does a decent enough job making the opponents believable threats people are going to tune in to watch them get beat down.

Sure, but those guys all have/had a decent chance at losing to other greatness or to whomever in the case of golf. Not Tyson until he was upset, but he was one of the most exciting fighters ever.

I think a lot of people became bored with Silva before the first Chael fight and have become bored with GSP.

Their fights normally are far from great as well.

#71 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Sure, but those guys all have/had a decent chance at losing to other greatness or to whomever in the case of golf. Not Tyson until he was upset, but he was one of the most exciting fighters ever.

I think a lot of people became bored with Silva before the first Chael fight and have become bored with GSP.

Their fights normally are far from great as well.

No doubt, but people will still tune in to watch great fighters even if they know the fight probably won;t be great. Tyson is a prime example of that as is Pacqiou or Mayweather. I mean the promoters do a decent enough job hyping these opponents to get the buy rates but peple know what the likely outcome will be when they tune in.

Don't get me wrong, a superbout in UFC would draw the biggest numbers ever but I disagree about how much it could hurt the fighters, even if it's only pride. Jones quotes above is pretty much saying exactly that. He thinks whoever lost a fight between he and Silva would have too much to lose.

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

No doubt, but people will still tune in to watch great fighters even if they know the fight probably won;t be great. Tyson is a prime example of that as is Pacqiou or Mayweather. I mean the promoters do a decent enough job hyping these opponents to get the buy rates but peple know what the likely outcome will be when they tune in.

Don't get me wrong, a superbout in UFC would draw the biggest numbers ever but I disagree about how much it could hurt the fighters, even if it's only pride. Jones quotes above is pretty much saying exactly that. He thinks whoever lost a fight between he and Silva would have too much to lose.

Well if Silva lost, would that be so bad? He's 37, so how much longer does he have left as an elite fighter and at least the age could be used as an excuse if he lost. It would put Jones in the discussion of all-time greats if he won, and he's still super young, so they'd have an even bigger star. And if Silva won in a good fight, well have a rematch that will be huge. I don't see much of an issue from a UFC perspective. Maybe from the fighters perspective I'll grant you.

And concerning Pac and Floyd, well I don't think their fights are watched as much as boxing would hope for and if they fought each other, the numbers would be incredible.

#73 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Dana White definitely wants Jones/Silva to happen. After UFC 148 he said something like "Silva said he wouldn't fight Sonnen a second time either." money talks. I hope it happens.

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

IHJJR: UFC on Fox Preview
http://www.ihatejjr....c-fox-4-preview

#75 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

One good fight tonight, Machida vs. Bader. Inexplicably Dana White says the winner of Shogun vs. Vera gets the next LHW title fight, despite Jones destroying both of them already... Unless he's anticipating Jones fighting Silva or moving up to HW.

Lauzon vs. Varner is interesting but I think Varner's win over Barboza was a fluke.

#76 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

One good fight tonight, Machida vs. Bader. Inexplicably Dana White says the winner of Shogun vs. Vera gets the next LHW title fight, despite Jones destroying both of them already... Unless he's anticipating Jones fighting Silva or moving up to HW.

Lauzon vs. Varner is interesting but I think Varner's win over Barboza was a fluke.

A little surprised that Bader was aggressive in the first round when there was still plenty of time left, but once he made that mistake, Machida was all over him. Don't know what to expect from the rest of the night.
@mrbeanage

#77 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Actually turned out to be a great main card. Varner/Lauzon was a war. Vera showed a lot of heart. Just outclassed.

#78 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Only saw the last two matches, but they were alright. I think the Jones-Machida fight might be pretty good in a couple months.
@mrbeanage

#79 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Jones would just dominate him again. I have a feeling Jones is going a different route after he beats Henderson.

#80 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Missed the UFC PPV Saturday. How was it?
@mrbeanage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=