1320 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah definitely. I think strikeforce is a little underrated. They only have like 6-8 events a year but they've got some talented fighters and usually put on a good show. I'm rooting for Tate and Noons in the main two fights.

Good signing for them getting Nate Marquart for a title fight against Tyron Woodley.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Also excited for Bellator to get started back up next weekend to go with the new live version of TUF. Good times.

#23 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

I almost vomited during that armbar when Tate wouldn't tap...good lord!!
@brobey1

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

I recorded it but haven't watched yet. That doesn't surprise me with how much Tate hated her and wanted to win. I guess Ronda is the real deal.

#25 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

It will surprise you. It's that bad.

Getting out of the first armbar was pretty impressive on its own. For her to hang on for that second one though... her career may be finished because of it.

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Yeah wow. Great fight though. Rousey is impressive. I'm still not sold on women's MMA as a whole, I just don't think there's enough talent. They need more athletes like Ronda if they want to stay relevant.

#27 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yeah wow. Great fight though. Rousey is impressive. I'm still not sold on women's MMA as a whole, I just don't think there's enough talent. They need more athletes like Ronda if they want to stay relevant.

Yeah, I agree...Roussey basically has no one to fight now. Same thing with Cyborg in the next weight division up...once the title gets into someone's hands who is "unbeatable" there is less competition than in the men's ranks so you only see one or two title fights a year...
@brobey1

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yahoo: UFC 145 picks
http://sports.yahoo...._eSW_XMECo5nYcB

#29 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Missed most of the PPV fights, but the ones I did see were pretty good. I saw Rothwell beat Schaub in the first round and McDonald beat Mills. I was surprised by the Jones-Evans fight. With Jones having a longer reach and being younger and taller, I figured that Jones would just beat Evans in the third round. I guess the best fights are normally the ones that go the distance.
@mrbeanage

#30 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Jones probably could have ended the fight if he wanted. He was dominant but cautiously aggressive at the same time. Evans started going into a shell and trying to get through the fight somewhere mid 3rd round. Maybe just hoping for Jones to make a mistake and counter. Jones while still pushing the pace was going to have none of getting caught with the fight wrapped up. Jones is just too good at 205. I mean it's MMA, he could always get caught but no one is going to take it to him and beat him up. I figure he'll dominate for 2 or 3 more years before moving up to HW.

#31 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Jones probably could have ended the fight if he wanted. He was dominant but cautiously aggressive at the same time. Evans started going into a shell and trying to get through the fight somewhere mid 3rd round. Maybe just hoping for Jones to make a mistake and counter. Jones while still pushing the pace was going to have none of getting caught with the fight wrapped up. Jones is just too good at 205. I mean it's MMA, he could always get caught but no one is going to take it to him and beat him up. I figure he'll dominate for 2 or 3 more years before moving up to HW.

I've seen it before in a GSP fight. Cautious for the first couple of rounds, with a few jabs and kicks here and there. I think Jones played it safe by waiting for Evans to come to him. It was a real good fight. Both fighters know each other's strengths and weaknesses. I think you're right about Jones. I can't see anyone really beating him right now. He might try and go HW, but he could be fine right where he is.
@mrbeanage

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I thought it was a rather disappointing fight.

Yes, it went the distance and yes Jones dominated, but this was the first fight I have seen him fight where he was this cautious and thus, not that exciting.

#33 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I thought it was a rather disappointing fight.

Yes, it went the distance and yes Jones dominated, but this was the first fight I have seen him fight where he was this cautious and thus, not that exciting.

I really think the caution was due to the familiarity of both fighters with one another and both knowing that if either made a mistake, they knew the other would take advantage and possibly lose the fight based off of one mistake...I think Jones fought the exact fight he needed to, not only to win, but to show how dominant a fighter he truly is...those standing elbow strikes are absolutely devistating!!
@brobey1

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

On another note, it's too bad that Overeem tested positive again because that could have been a great fight.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

IHJJR: UFC 146 Preview
http://www.ihatejjr....ufc-146-preview

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

There were actually a couple very good fights last weekend on Strikeforce. Melendez won in a controversial decision and Cormier really impressed me by dominating Barnett for 5 rounds.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Was pretty excited for this card when it was first finalized. Not so much now with all the shifting they have had to do. Will still probably catch it.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Was pretty excited for this card when it was first finalized. Not so much now with all the shifting they have had to do. Will still probably catch it.

Overeem was a big loss.

#39 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

There were actually a couple very good fights last weekend on Strikeforce. Melendez won in a controversial decision and Cormier really impressed me by dominating Barnett for 5 rounds.

Yeah, I'm not sure Melendez won that fight but I think he would've had to have been knocked out or submitted to lose the belt. I was also very impressed with Cormier as well. Can't wait to see him make the jump to the UFC.

Thought the Iaquinta-Pinchel TUF fight was one of the best of the season and think both of those guys will end up getting multiple fights in the UFC.
@brobey1

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Cain and JDS pretty much proved tonight that they are the class of the heavyweight division with dominating wins over solid opponents. I'll assume a rematch is on tap next and it should be a dandy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=