Photo

Caps 2011-12

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Caps make the playoffs? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Caps make the playoffs?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 drew3689

drew3689
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I honestly can see them missing out. Florida is playing great hockey and could easily win in the first round as well. Tampa is charging and Winnipeg is not a push over either. The #8 seed will be hard to come by.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

In terms of playing to your potential, the Caps certainly don't deserve it.

#23 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

I agree, but if Winnipeg and Boston feel like pretty much handing the Capitals a playoff spot, I'll take it.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I agree, but if Winnipeg and Boston feel like pretty much handing the Capitals a playoff spot, I'll take it.

Absolutely, but I gotta tell ya, if I were a betting man I'd say the Caps aren't making it. They lost again tonight at home (the only place they win). They picked up a point, but this is a game you had to have against the Hurricanes. Just terrible. As you said, I'll take it if it somehow happens, but I am beginning to seriously doubt it at this point.

#25 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

It might be one of those season where it might be more of an awaking call to the entire organization to miss the playoffs. This bunch is seriously hurting from with Backstrom sitting out with a concussion. Green has his up and down moments at times when I get to see them play.

There just seems no sense of urgency from them and they find that second gear in small doses.

For a team that has a tough time scoring in one of the loudest home crowds in the NHL, looking darn near 180 degrees different on the road. It is going to be a rough ride as they are on the road in 6 of the next 8 games, including Chicago, Detroit, and Philly (Whoa!) .

There are plenty of road land mines left on their table including a great deal of teams that can successfully crash and pick up garbage goals. The Caps have some of the best finesse in the league, but play wide way too much. Unless Knuble can live in the crease to pick up the trash, hard to win the close ones.

It is going to rough for them to not only keep pace. They have 3 must win games and need to steal a few against the better competition, this will not be an easy task by any means.
@Olsen_Don

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

WNST: http://wnst.net/word...y-costing-caps/

#27 DaveGilmoreBSR

DaveGilmoreBSR
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHistoric Woodberry

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Frankovic's right on, as always.
BSR Game Cache @dave_gilmore

#28 DaveGilmoreBSR

DaveGilmoreBSR
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Agree wholeheartedly. The economics of moving Ovechkin don't make sense, and if you look at his points per game in the playoffs, he's not only first among actives, he's 4th all-time.

I don't care if he is only scoring 35 goals a season, with that production in the playoffs, I'd be looking elsewhere for improvement. The center situation has been maddening and I think they put too much weight in banking on MoJo being the 2C. I like him on the wing and on the penalty kill a lot better.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

PressBox: Capitals Move to Eighth Place
http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=4554

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...NVLxwPKz_UPZe13

#31 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

For those who are interested, here's a good video of Matt Hendricks's shootout move. Ridiculous. The best shootout move I've seen in recent memory.

http://www.csnwashin...OUhcbpm_zmmsfrc

@BaltimoreDavey

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

For those who are interested, here's a good video of Matt Hendricks's shootout move. Ridiculous. The best shootout move I've seen in recent memory.

It's been working great, but it's gotten too much attention, and won't work pretty soon. The fake already didn't work tonight, but he still got it in. He's going to have to mix it up and start shooting on that first move or the goalies will start cheating.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

It's been working great, but it's gotten too much attention, and won't work pretty soon. The fake already didn't work tonight, but he still got it in. He's going to have to mix it up and start shooting on that first move or the goalies will start cheating.

He showed tonight that he can still do it if the goalie doesn't commit. He does need to mix it up a little bit. But so far, nobody can stop it. I've never seen a move make goalies look as silly as he made Bryz and Tim Thomas look.

@BaltimoreDavey

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

He showed tonight that he can still do it if the goalie doesn't commit. He does need to mix it up a little bit. But so far, nobody can stop it. I've never seen a move make goalies look as silly as he made Bryz and Tim Thomas look.

I agree there, but that clip was EVERYWHERE too, same thing that happened to Ovie, once guys see your shootout moves, they are no good. Especially when you use the same one for years like Ovie. After his rookie year when he was great on the SO, he was completely ineffective.

After ANOTHER SO goal goalies are going to be watching his moves over and over the next few days. I don't see it working again unless he tweaks it (adding a second fake, or shooting on the first move).
@JeremyMStrain

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I loved the video first of all and it's definitely true the more that's out there, the more opponents will be able to defend you. It applies to all sports, both sides make adjustments. Reminds me of when a baseball player is first called off and looks great then a 2-3 days after everyone has seen video, looks terrible.
@levineps

#36 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I loved the video first of all and it's definitely true the more that's out there, the more opponents will be able to defend you. It applies to all sports, both sides make adjustments. Reminds me of when a baseball player is first called off and looks great then a 2-3 days after everyone has seen video, looks terrible.

He can easily change it up though. There's a lot that he could do to slightly change that move and keep goalies guessing. Next shootout, instead of faking the shot, he should just shoot it. Especially if it's against Bryz or Thomas because they'd obviously be expecting a fake. Just doing that would give goalies nightmares because then they'd have to guess if the shot was a fake or not. He could also try switching which side he goes to. Tons of things he could do without really altering the move that would still make it very hard to stop.

The thing is, Hendricks NEEDS a move like that to be valuable in shootouts. He's not like Semin, who has such a deadly wrist shot that he doesn't even need to worry about faking the goalie out.

Hendricks seems to be aware that he has to make changes, so that's a good thing.

@BaltimoreDavey

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

He can easily change it up though. There's a lot that he could do to slightly change that move and keep goalies guessing. Next shootout, instead of faking the shot, he should just shoot it. Especially if it's against Bryz or Thomas because they'd obviously be expecting a fake. Just doing that would give goalies nightmares because then they'd have to guess if the shot was a fake or not. He could also try switching which side he goes to. Tons of things he could do without really altering the move that would still make it very hard to stop.

The thing is, Hendricks NEEDS a move like that to be valuable in shootouts. He's not like Semin, who has such a deadly wrist shot that he doesn't even need to worry about faking the goalie out.

Hendricks seems to be aware that he has to make changes, so that's a good thing.

Absolutely. I think he'll adjust and be just fine, he's a smart guy and knows he needs to rely on hard work more than natural talent. So I'm sure he'll adjust. This is just the first time he's ever really gotten national attention for something, so people will be watching for him in the SO rounds now.
@JeremyMStrain

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

I agree that he's definitely going to have to mix it up, but it has been gold to watch. The temper tantrum that Tim Thomas threw when he got "hendricks'd" was absolutely priceless. One of my favorite moments of the season.

#39 DaveGilmoreBSR

DaveGilmoreBSR
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Two games to go, reality check time. Tonight vs. Florida and Saturday vs. the Blueshirts.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I voted for 3 points. This vote was prior to the start of tonight's game, and my reasoning was that the team is playing well so I thought we would be in both games and have an opportunity to win both. However, I thought Neuvy would choke down the stretch in at least one of these games, as he usually does, and cost us a point. Now that he may be out, I honestly have more faith in Holtby. Neuvy is a panicker when the game is tight down the stretch, and I just don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Holtby is ridiculously less experienced, but he could catch fire. I have a feeling I'll be in the minority with this line of thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=