Photo

Caps 2011-12

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Caps make the playoffs? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Caps make the playoffs?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,028 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

PressBox: http://www.pressboxo...log.cfm?id=4454

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,028 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

CSN Washington: http://www.csnwashin...408&feedID=6357

#3 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

To be fair, they really haven't earned much this year.

It'd be nice if they "got hot" at the end of that year, and rode that streak into the playoffs. Perhaps that would be enough to finally push them over the hump?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

To be fair, they really haven't earned much this year.

It'd be nice if they "got hot" at the end of that year, and rode that streak into the playoffs. Perhaps that would be enough to finally push them over the hump?

Yeah they are kind of a mess right now, the team just isn't as tight as they usually are, and the new style isn't meshing well with the players we have (or the post-lockout NHL).

I think we see a new coach in the offseason, and I'm hoping we see a couple trades during this season to have a chance at things.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

One of the best run franchises in sports. I guess the MLB equivalent would be the Rays or Rangers, but the Red Wings have been doing it for faaaaaaaaaar longer.

http://espn.go.com/b...-set-nhl-record
@ChaosLex

#6 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

http://bleacherrepor...et-for-the-caps

For the record, I say no chance in hell. Between the cap space that needs to be cleared AND the crapload of players/prospects/picks we'd have to give Columbus in return, I just don't see a match.

It's certainly fun to think about though.
@ChaosLex

#7 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Currently 3 points out of the #8 seed with a few months to spare. What say you?
@ChaosLex

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Currently 3 points out of the #8 seed with a few months to spare. What say you?

I think they'll find a way, they always seem to struggle in the middle and then pick it up at the end of the season (and fall early in the playoffs). They have the talent. Nonetheless, I'm not as optimistic this year as I have been in past years, although once your in the playoffs anything can happen.
@levineps

#9 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Big win tonight. We needed those 2 points after Division-leading Florida.

Hopefully, we'll keep the ball rolling against the Lightning tomorrow.
@ChaosLex

#10 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

George McPhee always does whatever it takes to put the Capitals in the best possible situation to make the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he swung a big trade. I think they'll make it, but I don't think they'll make it that far unless they can learn how to win on the road.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#11 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

Could be done, but it probably wouldn't be worth it. Unless they'd actually take Schultz, Semin, and maybe a first round pick. I highly doubt that would be enough though.

@BaltimoreDavey

#12 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

That's an incredible record. I can't even think of a team I'd compare to the Red Wings as far as their long-term success. Maybe the Yankees?

P.S. Seeing a hockey game in Detroit should be on everyone's bucket list. Joe Louis Arena has such an amazing atmosphere.

@BaltimoreDavey

#13 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

What they need is consistency. Keep the forward lines consistent, give them time to gel. Changing around the forward lines as often as the Capitals do usually doesn't work. Lines need playing time to develop chemistry.

With that said, a few changes have to be made:

1. Jeff Schultz has to go. He is worthless to the Capitals right now, and apparently other teams are actually interested in him.

2. Make a move for a first line center. Put Backstrom on the IR so that the rest of his salary this year doesn't count against the cap. Let him rest and come back next season fully healthy. I'd rather him come back fully healthy next year than risk him getting injured again this year.

@BaltimoreDavey

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

I personally would've fired Boudreau after another early exit from the playoffs last year. I was against firing him in-season. I'm just not a fan of in-season changes, but realize they are sometimes necessary. Easy to look back in hindsight. Is this team a better one with Hunter on the bench, worse, or equal?

Edit: realize I used both same and equal, only need one of those.
@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

I personally don't think the Caps will, but you never know. After all, it's largely because of Ovie why the Caps sell out night in, night out. Pre-Ovie, this was a team that couldn't even sell out some playoff games. He has given the team an identity and raised the national profile of the Caps. He is even credited with increasing the presence of youth hockey in the DC area(http://www.washingto... ... story.html).

Nonetheless, the current team can't get past the second round and this year might miss the playoffs entirely. So the thought is they might lack team chemistry. Ultimately until this team can go deep in the playoffs, they'll be the constant jokes -- what's red, white, blue on a golf course in May OR what is a white russian with ice and no cup. We're an instant gratification society now more than ever so there's much frustration with the current team and lack of postseason success in the Ovie era.
@levineps

#16 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

I personally don't think the Caps will, but you never know. After all, it's largely because of Ovie why the Caps sell out night in, night out. Pre-Ovie, this was a team that couldn't even sell out some playoff games. He has given the team an identity and raised the national profile of the Caps. He is even credited with increasing the presence of youth hockey in the DC area(http://www.washingto... ... story.html).

Nonetheless, the current team can't get past the second round and this year might miss the playoffs entirely. So the thought is they might lack team chemistry. Ultimately until this team can go deep in the playoffs, they'll be the constant jokes -- what's red, white, blue on a golf course in May OR what is a white russian with ice and no cup. We're an instant gratification society now more than ever so there's much frustration with the current team and lack of postseason success in the Ovie era.

The problem in the playoffs has NEVER been Ovechkin. It's been Semin disappearing in the playoffs, and our defensemen leaving our goalies to fend for themselves. Trading Ovechkin, unless they got a record setting return (I'm talking along the lines of what the Oilers got for Gretzky), would be a horrible idea. The Capitals need a more balanced team if they want to go further in the playoffs.

As far as Ovechkin's play this year, teams are swarming him the moment he has the puck and there's nobody to help him out now that Backstrom's out for probably the rest of the season. If the price tag for him wasn't so outlandish, Rick Nash would be a great fit.

@BaltimoreDavey

#17 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I personally would've fired Boudreau after another early exit from the playoffs last year. I was against firing him in-season. I'm just not a fan of in-season changes, but realize they are sometimes necessary. Easy to look back in hindsight. Is this team a better one with Hunter on the bench, worse, same, or equal?

It was time for a change. And yes, I would have fired him after last year's early playoff exit and gotten a more qualified coach than Dale Hunter.

@BaltimoreDavey

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

The Caps are entering game 2 of a 5 game home stand that could go a long way in deciding their playoff fate. Game 2 is tomorrow against the Devils, which is then followed by the Flyers on Sunday. Two HUGE games to say the least.

The Caps find themselves a point out of 8th place, and 3 points out of 3rd (1st in the SE). Division leading Florida has played the same amount of games as us, while the current 8th seed Jets have played 3 more games than we have at this point.

Without a doubt the next biggest stretch of games which will decide the fate of the Caps will be the 5 game road stand where the Caps will go visit NY (Islanders), Winnipeg, Chicago, Detroit & Philadelphia. It's okay to lose some of these obviously (like at Detroit, because road teams can't win there), but find a way to scrap and claw your way to a point here and there even in losses.

The Caps have their work cut out for them, but they need to be consistent. If they crap the bed on that road trip, it's over.

#19 Roger Dorn

Roger Dorn
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Man this one tonight hurt.

Another head scratcher for Ovie.

Shut out by a goalie who has had major ups and downs this year.

I want to believe they can have at least one more run in them and lock up that playoff spot, but starting off 1-2 in a 5 game homestand has my confidence wavering :|

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

No re-votes in the poll allowed it looks like. (kidding)
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=