Photo

Caps 2011-12

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: Will the Caps make the playoffs? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Caps make the playoffs?

1. Yes (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. No (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I voted for 3 points. This vote was prior to the start of tonight's game, and my reasoning was that the team is playing well so I thought we would be in both games and have an opportunity to win both. However, I thought Neuvy would choke down the stretch in at least one of these games, as he usually does, and cost us a point. Now that he may be out, I honestly have more faith in Holtby. Neuvy is a panicker when the game is tight down the stretch, and I just don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Holtby is ridiculously less experienced, but he could catch fire. I have a feeling I'll be in the minority with this line of thinking.

I've said for 3 years that Holtby is better than Neuvy and Varly. Now is his chance to prove me right.
@JeremyMStrain

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

SB Nation: Capitals / Bruins: By the Numbers
http://www.japersrin...-by-the-numbers

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

CSN Washington: Capitals see playoff storm Bruin
http://www.csnwashin...968&feedID=6357

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

The schedule has been released:

Game 1 @ Boston, Thursday, April 12th @ 7:30 PM
Game 2 @ Boston, Saturday, April 14th @ 3:00 PM
Game 3 vs Boston, Monday, April 16th @ 7:30 PM
Game 4 vs Boston, Thursday, April 19th @ 7:30 PM
Game 5 (If Necessary) @ Boston, Saturday, April 21st @ 3:00 PM
Game 6 (If Necessary) vs Boston, Sunday, April 22nd, Time TBD
Game 7 (If Necessary) @ Boston, Wednesday, April 25th, Time TBD

#45 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

NHL Playoffs are about 75% "hot goalie" so if Tim Thomas plays to his normal capabilities, I don't expect the Caps to take more than 2 games from Boston...
@brobey1

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

NHL Playoffs are about 75% "hot goalie" so if Tim Thomas plays to his normal capabilities, I don't expect the Caps to take more than 2 games from Boston...

Thomas has a tendency to look average as often as he looks great. He's an up and down kinda goalie. He WILL be the key to the series, but if the CAPS get one of the first two...watch out.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

NBC Sports / ProHockey Talk: 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Rd 1 Picks in 5 words
http://prohockeytalk...-in-five-words/

No. 2 Boston vs. No. 7 Washington

Dadoun (Caps in 7): Ovechkin’s finally playing like Ovechkin.

O’Brien (Bruins in 5): Bears italicize the bumbling Caps.

Yerdon (Bruins in 5): Caps inconsistency fails them again.

Brough (Bruins in 5): Caps getting peeled off boards.

Halford (Bruins in 5): Nobody’s winning with Braden Holtby.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Washington Times: NBC analyst Keith Jones think Bruins will have relatively easy time with Caps
http://www.washingto...e-capitals-nbc/

#49 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

So the Washington Capitals did in fact hustle their way into the playoffs as the number seven seed, and their reward for doing so is a first round match up with the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.

I would absolutely love to get excited about the Caps’ getting into the playoffs for a fifth consecutive year but I’m having serious difficulty doing just that. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this team has played some of the most uninspiring hockey for good chunks of the regular season, all the while maintaining one of the more talented rosters currently constructed in the NHL.

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that this is a team that underperformed so much this season that a perfectly good coach (one of the better ones in my opinion) had to get fired because the star player (you know who I’m talking about) simply couldn’t bring himself to help his head coach pull the team together when a large part of the reason the team wasn’t playing well together is because you, sir, were not playing with your soul on fire like you’ve done every single game before this season began.

Then again, maybe it has something to do with the fact that they’ve been the most talented team in the playoffs for four straight seasons before this season, after winning four straight division titles, and got ousted by the lower seed each and every time.

Do I believe that this team can beat the defending Stanley Cup champions (something they themselves should have been twice over by now)?

Absolutely.

Do I believe that it is likely to happen?

I don’t know because I see the Washington Capitals under Dale Hunter as being a defensively tough team, which is exactly how you have to play during the playoffs, and doing the little things (even if it’s more conservative than you like) to capitalize on what few mistakes your opponent is going to make – and they won’t make very many so you have to be ready for them when they happen.

Unfortunately, the Capitals are not a very good defensive team. Regardless of how tough you are on the ice, if you can’t so much as do the bare minimum on defense to NOT give up easy shots than it doesn’t really matter how ‘good’ you are because you won’t win.

If the Capitals really expect to prove that they can win the games that actually matter, and not embarrass themselves and their fans in the process, then I’m sure more fans would be more open to having a positive outlook towards the team and these playoffs they snuck into.

http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=2166

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Washington Times: NBC analyst Keith Jones think Bruins will have relatively easy time with Caps
http://www.washingto...e-capitals-nbc/

This is where I put my money on the table and says that Holtby is series MVP.
@JeremyMStrain

#51 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps push this series to 7 games. I won't go so far as to say they'll win but I think they could make it interesting by playing some amazing hockey for three games.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps push this series to 7 games. I won't go so far as to say they'll win but I think they could make it interesting by playing some amazing hockey for three games.

I'm sticking to it that they are a much better team than the 7 seed indicates, and the fact that Hunter is fixing some of his lineup mistakes for game 1 says a lot. I'm thinking that he was playing them at their less than ideal combos and matchups with the theory that if they couldn't make it into the playoffs like they then they didn't deserve to be there.

I'm suspecting you'll see a different team than you have seen recently, and I'm sticking with it that Holtby is more talented than Neuvy or Varly and it's time he shows it and takes control of his own destiny.
@JeremyMStrain

#53 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm sticking to it that they are a much better team than the 7 seed indicates, and the fact that Hunter is fixing some of his lineup mistakes for game 1 says a lot. I'm thinking that he was playing them at their less than ideal combos and matchups with the theory that if they couldn't make it into the playoffs like they then they didn't deserve to be there.

I'm suspecting you'll see a different team than you have seen recently, and I'm sticking with it that Holtby is more talented than Neuvy or Varly and it's time he shows it and takes control of his own destiny.

The more I read about Holtby the more inclined I am to agree with you. It wouldn't be the first time a relatively inexperienced player rises above the pressures of the playoffs and outperforms everyone around him.

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Caps lose game 1 in overtime, but got an absolutely terrific performance from their defense, and Holtby. Just not enough scoring chances. I think this is going to be a long series, and I think if the Caps continue to stymie the Bruins attack that they can come out on top. Thomas didn't do anything to impress in game one, but he we didn't force him to have to either.

#55 BaltimoreZach

BaltimoreZach
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Holtby was on absolute stud status tonight. Kudos to him. Bruins did a really good job of keeping Ovi tamed for pretty much the whole game. I have to imagine that had to be a terribly frustrating 60+ minutes for Bruins fans until Kelly hit it.
TweetTweet @Zachooooo
Loyola Men's Soccer #0

#56 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey, I said Holtby would play great, I didn't make any promises about the offense. I will say we missed our chances to win though. Green missing early on a PP in the 3rd shooting high, and then the shot by Carlson that trickled through and went wide by an inch were our shots and Holtby did the rest.
@JeremyMStrain

#57 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Caps need to play the whole series like they did in the third period tonight. They brought energy, won the puck battles along the boards, cycled and kept the Bruins pinned back in their own end, creating some scoring chances just based off the fact that the B's were tired. I was worried coming into the series that the Dale Hunter style of hockey -- getting out-shot is OK as long as there are no grade-A scoring chances -- wouldn't fly come playoff time. Hell, one could argue it didn't fly in the regular season. The first two periods were a manifestation of that fear, with the Caps only managing seven (SEVEN!!!) shots through 40 minutes. If they hang Holtby out to dry like that for the rest of the series, they'll probably get swept. Can't rely on your goaltender that much.

On the winning goal, the Bruins put together some really good passes together and Wideman got caught. If Wideman had another step or two, he would have had a shot to cut off Kelly's angle to Holtby. If the Caps grab Game 2, they'll be in good shape, but boy, that might have been their best chance to steal a game in Boston. Holtby stood on his head and you want to take advantage of the games where your goalie is that good.
@BSLLukeJackson

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

...doooo de dooo. ;) ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

...doooo de dooo. ;) ;)

You and me both man... how great has he been? So fun to watch this.

Amazing resilience from the Caps tonight. They're playing playoff defense with an intensity I've never seem from this group before.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I hate using the so-called "must win" phrase, because it's way over-used and really nothing is truly a "must-win" until your back is against the wall, so ill say it was great to win one of two in Boston. 1-1 is a lot different than being down 2-0. Winning this game also gives them momentum heading into DC. Hopefully they can win both of these, but atleast one of the next two.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=