DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

http://profootballta... ... a-is-real/

On Wednesday night, Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia...said that the fake dead girlfriend of Te’o is real. Specifically, Mauia says he met Kekua in 2011.

#62 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Getting back to the sports angle here: I don't think this is going to kill T'eo's draft stock as much as some think. Sure, the character issues are there. And if you are between two players, a GM might be inclined to go with the "other" player. But I don't think this is worse than someone with a major criminal history. As has been pointed out, there's players in the league who have been convicted of far worse crimes (manslaughter/DUI/domestic violence/etc). If you're are good enough, you'll play. It's a talent issue, it's not like other industries, where many jobs are a dime a dozen, and they'll replace you in this kind of situation. There's 32 teams, someone who wants a pretty good MLB will take him. And if he performs on the field, a team will be happy to have him. They don't need him to be the most likable player, just one who gets the job done.
@levineps

#63 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Getting back to the sports angle here: I don't think this is going to kill T'eo's draft stock as much as some think. Sure, the character issues are there. And if you are between two players, a GM might be inclined to go with the "other" player. But I don't think this is worse than someone with a major criminal history. As has been pointed out, there's players in the league who have been convicted of far worse crimes (manslaughter/DUI/domestic violence/etc). If you're are good enough, you'll play. It's a talent issue, it's not like other industries, where many jobs are a dime a dozen, and they'll replace you in this kind of situation. There's 32 teams, someone who wants a pretty good MLB will take him. And if he performs on the field, a team will be happy to have him. They don't need him to be the most likable player, just one who gets the job done.

Sure. But teams find those guys everywhere. Why would they pick a guy who is apparently either gullible or dishonest that high when they can find someone else with problems they might be able to better handle? Especially since there are already questions about his ability and ceiling and his performance against Alabama.

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

So, did he have a hand in this or not? I am just hearing bits and pieces and didn't get a chance to read the whole article.

And yes, this absolutely could hurt his stock.

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

So, did he have a hand in this or not? I am just hearing bits and pieces and didn't get a chance to read the whole article.

And yes, this absolutely could hurt his stock.

The story is getting stranger by the minute. Read the Deadspin story. Read the ESPN link a few posts above.
Going to be much more coming out.

Golic should be interesting tomorrow morning.

#66 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Right now, this is Thanksgiving 2009 all over again.

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

The story is getting stranger by the minute. Read the Deadspin story. Read the ESPN link a few posts above.

Just saw on Twitter that he's off tomorrow and Friday. Bet he calls in, though :P

#68 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

He isn't on the show tomorrow..his son is in a senior game this weekend.

I wonder if he will call in though.

#69 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Right now, this is Thanksgiving 2009 all over again.

The Tiger Woods news?

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

The Tiger Woods news?

Uh-huh.

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Uh-huh.

Yeah, that was quite the cluster eff. This is definitely going to be an interesting next couple of days.

#72 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I just want to know what Joe Paterno knew about Teo's fake girlfriend and when he knew it.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

I just want to know what Joe Paterno knew about Teo's fake girlfriend and when he knew it.

I heard if was McQueary who tipped off Deadspin.

#74 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I heard if was McQueary who tipped off Deadspin.

One more:
Brent Musberger saw Teo's fake girlfriend and has confirmed that she was dope.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

One more:
Brent Musberger saw Teo's fake girlfriend and has confirmed that she was dope.

LMAO, nice. :lol:

#76 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Sure. But teams find those guys everywhere. Why would they pick a guy who is apparently either gullible or dishonest that high when they can find someone else with problems they might be able to better handle? Especially since there are already questions about his ability and ceiling and his performance against Alabama.

I think you're overstating the Alabama game, he was one of the best players in the country and specifically middle linebacker. One bad game isn't going to change that, talk about small sample sizes. He didn't drastically shift because of one game. Would it have been better if dominated one of the other meaningless bowls? Alabama made a lot of defenses look bad, only a handful of teams in the country could actually compete with them.

If teams just found these players "everywhere" like you claim, draft picks wouldn't be so coveted specifically early round picks. The truth of the matter is that guys aren't "everywhere," like you are trying to make it seem. Talent matters, in fact even more than character. You can't teach that as cliche as that sounds. Players with way more red flags than Te'o have been taken high. Unless there's some criminal proceedings that were not aware, it's just not as big of a factor, some are trying to make it to be. There's 32 teams, just takes one team.

Again, if you're good enough, you'll overcome this because teams want to win. It's a business, if you can help a team win that trumps all of this stuff. Let me also say, the draft is four months from now, the shock value won't be there on Draft Day that is now.

If dishonest and gullible players weren't getting drafting AND players were a dime a dozen then a lot more nice guys would be taken.
@levineps

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

Obviously, we're just at the tip of the iceberg. Everything will come out and it's almost assuredly not going to be pretty for Te'o. I can't believe ND is so quick to defend the guy but I guess when everything comes out they'll just use the excuse that they were fooled by Te'o and distance themselves from him.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

This is one of the strangest stories I've ever heard.

My first reaction is that I hope this causes Te'o to slip in the draft. I think he'd be an amazing value at (hopefully) #32 for the Ravens!

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Obviously, we're just at the tip of the iceberg. Everything will come out and it's almost assuredly not going to be pretty for Te'o. I can't believe ND is so quick to defend the guy but I guess when everything comes out they'll just use the excuse that they were fooled by Te'o and distance themselves from him.

Well, they learned about it a few weeks ago and did their own investigation at that time and concluded he wasn't involved in the hoax. They were fully prepared for today's news from Deadspin, and were ready and prepared to do a presser almost immediately after the news broke. I'm sure this was their way of damage control. I do think as more information comes out, it will become obvious (I already think it is, personally) that he was in on it and they'll have to distance themselves from it, per usual.

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Unless more comes out, Teo will still get picked fairly high. As some have said this will hurt him in his draft status, but guys who have done far worse have gotten picked. If it was not a hoax on Teo, it was an unusual and extraordinary cry for limelight and attention.
Not sure the University did anything wrong though.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=