• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#41 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

These Te'o jokes are funny and all, but let's try to remember that someone who never existed is now dead.
  • BSLMikeLowe and JHTerp01 like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

These Te'o jokes are funny and all, but let's try to remember that someone who never existed is now dead.

How much you wanna bet a bunch of cyber-thieves have tried to get a credit card in her name within the past hour?

#43 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I had to tweet that, giving you credit of course. Maybe me literally lol.

@AdamWolff

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

System won't let me give you more Karma yet, but this is just hilarious. Well done sir.

#45 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I stole it from the radio. I mean, my now-deceased girlfriend told me it and said that if anything happens to her she wants me to take credit for it.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#46 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just read the article. Holy crap, that is some weird stuff.

Like....what the hell.

#47 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

OK, confession time.

I was in a relationship with a woman whom I had met in an online game. She lived out of state and I didn't meet her in person until a couple years after we had first met, and some time after we had considered ourselves a couple. Anyway, I had a fabricated backstory for her that I would use for family and friends. I used to say she was a girl I knew from freshman year of college, and we had reconnected online. This is of course because you have this person that you're devoting a lot of time to, and people are interested, but there's a stigma to having met someone online, especially when it's not someone on a dating site who is actually from the area, but someone who lives several states away that you can't physically interact with.

I'm not saying that Te'o had no idea what was going on. It sure does seem that he was in on it. However, there is a possibility that he wasn't in on it and made up parts about meeting her in person to hide embarrassment over having not met her in real life. It wouldn't be the first time.
  • Icterus galbula and SammyBirdland like this

#48 Token

Token
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Someone on another forum brought up this point.

Wasn't there a charitable organization in her name? Where did all that money go?

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Lance Armstrong ought to be grateful to Te'o right now for this distraction. Perhaps a dozen white roses would make an appropriate gift.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#50 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

OK, confession time.

I was in a relationship with a woman whom I had met in an online game. She lived out of state and I didn't meet her in person until a couple years after we had first met, and some time after we had considered ourselves a couple. Anyway, I had a fabricated backstory for her that I would use for family and friends. I used to say she was a girl I knew from freshman year of college, and we had reconnected online. This is of course because you have this person that you're devoting a lot of time to, and people are interested, but there's a stigma to having met someone online, especially when it's not someone on a dating site who is actually from the area, but someone who lives several states away that you can't physically interact with.

I'm not saying that Te'o had no idea what was going on. It sure does seem that he was in on it. However, there is a possibility that he wasn't in on it and made up parts about meeting her in person to hide embarrassment over having not met her in real life. It wouldn't be the first time.

Was she a lvl90 Night Elf Hunter?
  • Spoonless likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Someone on another forum brought up this point.

Wasn't there a charitable organization in her name? Where did all that money go?

From the Deadspin article:

Lennay Kekua's death resonated across the college football landscape—especially at Notre Dame, where the community immediately embraced her as a fallen sister. Charity funds were started, and donations poured into foundations dedicated to leukemia research. More than $3,000 has been pledged in one IndieGogo campaign raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Hopefully that's where it all went. While still horribly misleading, I could live with it as long as I knew my donation went to a worthy cause. Although someone definitely needs to investigate that.

#52 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well then...

My initial reaction is that the two were in a relationship together, and this was their attempt to cover it up. If true, it's a shame.

If it comes out that this was all a publicity stunt, I hope he goes undrafted. Scumbag move.

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

As mad as this made me when I first read it, I'm not going to spend too much time dwelling on this like I did the PSU situation. No one was hurt in this crime, except the media's credibility, which at the end of the day, may be a good thing. Maybe the media will take a little more caution, although I severely doubt it. Obviously this hurts Te'o and ND a bit too, but I really could care less about either.

#54 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

ND AD Jack Swarbrick on ESPN right now.

#55 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

As mad as this made me when I first read it, I'm not going to spend too much time dwelling on this like I did the PSU situation. No one was hurt in this crime, except the media's credibility, which at the end of the day, may be a good thing. Maybe the media will take a little more caution, although I severely doubt it. Obviously this hurts Te'o and ND a bit too, but I really could care less about either.

I agree. I'm not angry, I'm just confused. Watching all this old interview footage with Te'o is just utterly confusing.

Was it a prank? Is he messed up in the head? Is he gay and needed a cover story?

When I think of stupid college pranks, I think of Rey Maualuga freak-dancing on Erin Andrews. I don't think of making up ongoing stories about a dead girlfriend.

DdDGYsYXHKc
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Just a bizarre story. Really do not care much but something is not coming out here.
@mikeghg

#57 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Lance Armstrong ought to be grateful to Te'o right now for this distraction. Perhaps a dozen white roses would make an appropriate gift.

Nicely put. Timing couldn't have been better in Lance Armstrong's eyes.

I'm thinking that Te'o was covering up his actual relationship. I don't think that Notre Dame would have a problem with it, would they?
@mrbeanage

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

There are some elements to the story that come pretty close to outright fraud, so it's a bit more than a victimless crime.

#59 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Nicely put. Timing couldn't have been better in Lance Armstrong's eyes.

I'm thinking that Te'o was covering up his actual relationship. I don't think that Notre Dame would have a problem with it, would they?

That's the explanation that makes the most sense in my mind. If it is the reason, I don't think it was about Notre Dame, although they are a Catholic university. I think it was more about football and uncertainty over the reaction not only from teammates and fans, but from the professional ranks.

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

There are some elements to the story that come pretty close to outright fraud, so it's a bit more than a victimless crime.

Yeah, I guess that part of it is... fair enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=