#21 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Notre Dame is selling this as a hoax against him, and that he found out Dec. 26, but he was asked questions relating to his girlfriend in the lead up to the championship and he never corrected anything.

#22 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Looks like someone got into his deceased girlfriend's twitter account.

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...667906012524545
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#23 Token

Token
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is just sad.

And now the good character of Te'o is now a major issue.

I'm not sure how this can be a hoax. Did he never see his girlfriend in real life? Did they just now show him the body? This is an extremely elaborate hoax if true.

There is probably a lot of info that still hasn't been revealed I'm guessing.

I'm not sure about his facebook, but Adande makes a good point about his twitter.

https://twitter.com/...676780987830272

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

And now it's time for a little game I like to call, Te'O's tweets:

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]If you're gonna talk the talk...you better be willing to walk the walk.
[/quote]

Is this a threat? Is he going to get a girlfriend, get her in a car accident and give her leukemia?

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]Learn life's lessons by watching other learn it themselves. Don't wait for life to teach you the lesson because you won't like it by then.
[/quote]

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]Strength doesn't come from what you can do! It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't!
[/quote]

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]Strength is learning how to dance in the rain of life's many storms!
[/quote]

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]The worst thing you can do is fool yourself!
[/quote]

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]The funniest part is I already know I got your attention!
[/quote]

[quote name="@MTeo_5"]For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36 #perspective
[/quote]
https://twitter.com/MTeo_5

#25 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

That thought occurred to me as I read that story too, which would have a whole different set of ramifications, and would at least shed some light on to why they did this.

That would be such a terrible way to be outed. I hope the first openly gay active athlete has full control of the moment.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

That would be such a terrible way to be outed. I hope the first openly gay active athlete has full control of the moment.

That would be the best way, but sadly I don't think it will go down that way when the time comes.

#27 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

"@MTeo_5: Don't let your dreams stay dreams! Make them a reality!"

(Rob Delaney retweeted it)

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Agreed. If that is what happened here, that would be a shame. He would have missed an opportunity to be inspirational in that regard, and instead only remembered for concocting this story... and basking in the narrative.

#29 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#30 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Manti's statement..

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

@AdamWolff

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

There's a huge disconnect in his statement and the quotes of his in the various interviews... how they met for instance, phone calls, etc.

#32 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Manti's statement..

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Sorry, not buying it.

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

There's a 0% chance it was a "hoax". Nice try though, Manti.

#35 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Good question from Warren Sapp...

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/... ... 9683448832
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#36 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Gene Wojciechowski says Manti told him that his girlfriend's family would prefer not to be contacted regarding her death and would prefer no pictures of her be published. Color me skeptical that Manti was a victim here.

@AdamWolff

#37 Token

Token
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

That is the statement of a man caught in the lie.

And in the deadspin article, it states that:

2010-2011: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

And aren't there multiple reports of him meeting her at the Stanford game? I don't know what to believe anymore.

#38 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

There's just too much evidence to think he was Catfish'd.

The fact that in past interviews where he's said that they've spent time together, along with not wanting to provide Gene W (espn writer who did an interview) with any pictures or access to the woman's family shows to me that Teo was in on this.

#39 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I really don't want to pile on a guy that could be telling the truth, but damn if I don't feel like there's a 95% chance he's full of shit.

Where have I seen this before.. incredibly successful sports figure accused of something unbelievable, immediately plays the victim card..? Now all he needs to do is sue Deadspin.

@AdamWolff

#40 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Ok,....I am so freaking confused as to what is going on.

Where do i even start?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=