Dump 'n' Chase: Vokoun was at best before injury
http://dumpnchase.com/?p=1617

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

CSN Baltimore: Will Capitals make a move or stand pat?
http://www.csnbaltim...580&feedID=6357

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

CSN Baltimore: Capitals breakdown: Braden Holtby
http://www.csnbaltim...802&feedID=6357

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

CSN Baltimore: Capitals might have money to burn
http://www.csnbaltim...976&feedID=6357

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Rick Nash Please.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Rick Nash Please.

Haha, how long have I been saying that now?
@JeremyMStrain

#27 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

I find it a little odd that the Caps are making these plans already, WITHOUT hiring a new head coach. I would assume that a GM and coach would be working together to figure out what players to acquire (draft or free agency) that would be fits in the coach's system. I guess since they actually haven't signed any players yet, it's still okay they don't have a coach yet.
@mrbeanage

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

I find it a little odd that the Caps are making these plans already, WITHOUT hiring a new head coach. I would assume that a GM and coach would be working together to figure out what players to acquire (draft or free agency) that would be fits in the coach's system. I guess since they actually haven't signed any players yet, it's still okay they don't have a coach yet.

Nah, don't worry this is just media speculation, they aren't thinking players at all yet. They extended offers to all the RFA to stall past the draft, and have more draft picks than any other team, so I'm sure they are split focused on the draft and narrowing down their coaching list.

I know that they've cut their list down from 10 to 4 or 5, but no idea who is on the list.
@JeremyMStrain

#29 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I know that they've cut their list down from 10 to 4 or 5, but no idea who is on the list.

Mike Keenan, perhaps? :D

I figured they still had plenty of time since free agency hasn't started yet. Just thought it was a little odd that they were thinking about players first before the coach. I'm sure they got an idea who what they're looking for to replace Hunter. I liked how they let Halpern and Knuble know that they weren't going to be re-signed. Let the players get more time to find a new team.
@mrbeanage

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Mike Keenan, perhaps? :D

I figured they still had plenty of time since free agency hasn't started yet. Just thought it was a little odd that they were thinking about players first before the coach. I'm sure they got an idea who what they're looking for to replace Hunter. I liked how they let Halpern and Knuble know that they weren't going to be re-signed. Let the players get more time to find a new team.

He was on the "rumored" list a while back, but I think he's been out the game too long and he and Ovi would kill each other. I think Adam Oates is a favorite, and I hope Konowalchuck is still in the running. I think it's gotta be a guy that these kids saw play and respect as being "one of them" more than a guy that has been a coach their whole life, or someone who never played in the N. We'll see though, the system/player issue is most important. The draft is coming up fast though, and they need to get through that, so I think you'll see the draft, coach announced and then FA starting right after.
  • DBean likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#31 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

The draft is coming up fast though, and they need to get through that, so I think you'll see the draft, coach announced and then FA starting right after.

Good call on the coach being announced after the draft. McPhee doesn't seem to be in any hurry.

http://www.washingto...ss=rss_capitals
@mrbeanage

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Yeah I was wondering how they'd play it too, but with 11 draft picks I'm sure they are crazy busy scouting and dealing with trade scenarios. I know for a fact they are interviewing though, just don't know who besides the two I mentioned.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

I think I heard Konowalchuck's name before. Didn't know about Oates. Disappointed that Hunter left and that they are probably not going to go with that type of mentality. Seemed to work getting them into the playoffs.
@mrbeanage

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I think I heard Konowalchuck's name before. Didn't know about Oates. Disappointed that Hunter left and that they are probably not going to go with that type of mentality. Seemed to work getting them into the playoffs.

Yeah I've floated it a couple times, but i got confirmation that he was on the initial list. Oates has been an asst for a couple years and was a good leader when he played. I figure he'll have an offensive system since he was a playmaker.

Hunter was just doing them a favor buying them time to do a real search in the offseason. I thought it was a bit TOO defensive for the players we had, but it did good things for Holtby that's for sure.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

Seemed like the Caps were further in the playoffs this year than previous years. That, plus they seemed more balanced IMO. Holtby was awesome. Can't wait to see if he can do the same next year.
@mrbeanage

#36 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Konowalchuck would definitely be my first pick for coach, although I'd be fine with a guy like Oates as well. I'm sure he could provide some tips/pointers for a few centers on our team right now. I'm not really surprised they haven't picked a coach yet though. Once the draft is done we should start hearing more on the coaching front.

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Konowalchuck would definitely be my first pick for coach, although I'd be fine with a guy like Oates as well. I'm sure he could provide some tips/pointers for a few centers on our team right now. I'm not really surprised they haven't picked a coach yet though. Once the draft is done we should start hearing more on the coaching front.

Yeah I'm pretty much right there with you, between those two I'd be happy. I think Oates would have a more offensive based system, and Kono would probably run more of a grinding style closer to Hunter (probably not as extreme) but I'm just guessing based on their playing styles.

Both have a history here and I think would do well since our guys grew up watching them. There would be more of a vested mentor relationship going.

Def focused on the draft, but I think you'll get a coach announced RIGHT after.
@JeremyMStrain

#38 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

I think GMGM said it best when he mentioned he wanted a more up-tempo style of play with the same degree of buy-in that Hunter got out of the guys. We saw it in Game 7 vs. the Rangers that they didn't have that extra gear of offense to go to when they really needed it -- looked a whole lot like the regular season games under Hunter. It'll be a real challenge to find the right kind of coach/system that takes advantage of the offensive talent on the club while still maintaining a system you think can succeed during the playoffs, assuming you believe that there are certain systems that have a better chance at success in the playoffs. This isn't to say, however, that there's some coach out there that can get Ovie scoring 50 goals again while maintaining some sort of defensive system. If there is, this man is a genius and likely already employed by a highly successful franchise.

It's tough to figure out how much cap room they'll be taking into July 1 at this point but they'll probably be looking for some scoring.
@BSLLukeJackson

#39 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

One other thing. Wouldn't be surprised if they flip one of their first rounders for a forward like they did last year.
@BSLLukeJackson

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

One other thing. Wouldn't be surprised if they flip one of their first rounders for a forward like they did last year.

I'm kinda expecting them to package some picks in a trade. I know for a fact they are targeting D with the first two picks if they use them...call it a little birdie ;)

I think any trades or FA will tie into what coach we hire, but the draft picks would be independent of coaching if they keep them.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=