• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Well...this is much sooner than I was hoping to start this...but since Luke started looking at it already I figured why not?

2013 Projected:

$19M in cap space

RFA: Green - 5.25m, Carlson - $845k, Beagle - $512k
UFA: Semin - $6.7m, Knuble - $2m, Halpern - $825k, Wideman - $3.9m, Aucoin - $512k, Vokoun - $1.5m, Sabourin - $525k.

Looks like Beagle took Halpern's role on the 4th line, but if he comes back cheap they could resign him for depth.
Both goalies should be gone, with Holtby starting and Nuevy backing up. Depth signing will come for Hershey with Grubauer playing there as well.
Wideman looked terrible and should be let go. Orlov will play more next year. Green should be re-signed but it's going to cost at least $6m per I think. I'd pay it and hope he stays healthy. Carlson needs a new deal, no question about it. $3-$3.5m maybe?

A replacement for Semin's scoring will have to be found, because he's going to want much more than he's worth (don't think he's worth what he got last year.) A physical grinding RW to replace Knuble would be nice too. (coulda got both in one with Nash like I said last year)

Targets?:
Parise would replace Semin nicely, don't know what kind of $$ we could afford, he's shooting for $10m.
@JeremyMStrain

#2 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Philly GM thinks Cap will go up 6 mil leaving us over 20 mil in space. I'd let every FA walk, try to trade Green, hope and beg Kuznetsov to sign, and look to trade our 2 #1 picks plus Eakin,MarJo and Neuvirth. Lots to be done with sadly the same GM who has overseen this failure for 14 years.
God hates Caps fans

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Philly GM thinks Cap will go up 6 mil leaving us over 20 mil in space. I'd let every FA walk, try to trade Green, hope and beg Kuznetsov to sign, and look to trade our 2 #1 picks plus Eakin,MarJo and Neuvirth. Lots to be done with sadly the same GM who has overseen this failure for 14 years.

WHAT?

Sorry, doesn't make ANY sense. There's some bad chemistry (a lot of which is leaving now) and there was a coaching change and a new system adjustment mid season. We still ended up one knucklehead (or lucky bounce in OT) short of the conference finals, while playing the top 2 seeds. This isn't a team you BLOW up.

Kuz is NOT signing, he doesn't want to leave Russia until after the next olympics, he's not ready for America. ZERO % chance of it happening. Then you want to trade some of our cheaper better talent?? For what? Expensive aging veterans?

Sorry, but it sounds like you are trying to give this team an Orioles 1998 makeover. This team still has plenty of young talent that can and will compete for the next 5 years or so easy. You need to fill with players that fit the system (not Wideman) and complementary pieces for your core, Ovi, Nick, MJ90, Hendricks, Chimera, Laich, Beagle, Green, Carlson, Alzner, and Holtby.

Sure you could look to trade Neuvirth if you get a great deal cause you have more goaltending coming, and a stop gap backup is fine if Holtby is #1, BUT if he gets hurt, and is out a while, then what? Eakin has almost no trade value cause he did nothing in his call up, and doesn't fit Hunter's system either. You need grinding power forwards to pair with our skilled playmakers (Nick, MJ90).

Might need different from that even if Hunter doesn't return.
@JeremyMStrain

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

WNST: Another Crushing End to a Caps Hockey Season (Also look ahead)
http://wnst.net/word...-hockey-season/

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

CSN Baltimore: Mike Green 'We're going to win it.'
http://www.csnbaltim...104&feedID=6357

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

This falls in the "talk is cheap" and "actions speak louder than words" categories. For a team that can't get out of the 2nd round, just walk the walk, don't talk the talk so much.
@levineps

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

This falls in the "talk is cheap" and "actions speak louder than words" categories. For a team that can't get out of the 2nd round, just walk the walk, don't talk the talk so much.

There are plenty of teams that can't get INTO the second round, so once again I think your argument makes NO sense.

I think they need to make up their mind on a coach and system fairly quickly so that they can start making personnel decisions before FA starts. They have a little more than a month.

I would keep Green either way since Wideman is a goner (he checked out before the playoffs started anyway). So then your big issues are replacing Semin, figuring out how to overcome Ovi's defense (lack thereof) on a line, and some second line offense to replace Semin. The rest should all fall into place from there.

Sticking with Holtby and letting him grow up with Neuvy behind him would be pretty smart too. I would split the workload a little more towards 70/30 than the typical 85/15 split with a true no. 1, and if Neuvy plays really well, trade his rights as an RFA next season.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

There are plenty of teams that can't get INTO the second round, so once again I think your argument makes NO sense.

Obviously this is a very difficult concept for you, but different teams have different expectations. Do we hold the Orioles and Ravens to the same standards? If the Ravens went 500 this year would that be a good year for them? However, if the Orioles did, many would be happy!
@levineps

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Obviously this is a very difficult concept for you, but different teams have different expectations. Do we hold the Orioles and Ravens to the same standards? If the Ravens went 500 this year would that be a good year for them? However, if the Orioles did, many would be happy!

Yeah but either you don't get how the NHL playoffs work, or you overrate the Caps. For you to expect them to win the cup every year is way off base, they are no dynasty as constructed. They should have finished right about where they did, with a little over achieving they might have won this year, you never know in the playoffs, but you shouldn't be expecting them to win it. Get bent out of shape if they don't make the playoffs, not if they lose in a TOUGH 7 game series to the no. 1 seed in the conference after knocking out the #2 seed.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yeah but either you don't get how the NHL playoffs work, or you overrate the Caps. For you to expect them to win the cup every year is way off base, they are no dynasty as constructed. They should have finished right about where they did, with a little over achieving they might have won this year, you never know in the playoffs, but you shouldn't be expecting them to win it. Get bent out of shape if they don't make the playoffs, not if they lose in a TOUGH 7 game series to the no. 1 seed in the conference after knocking out the #2 seed.

No I don't expect them to win the SC every year, nor did I say that, I didn't even say this year would be "different" like everyone else and yourself. I think if you ask most people, they would've expected the Caps to get out of the 2nd round by now. Yes, I know a bad bounce can really hurt you. I know a hot goalie can make all the difference. Have they had some bad luck sure. It's sports, it's not played on paper. But enough excuses already.
@levineps

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

No I don't expect them to win the SC every year, nor did I say that, I didn't even say this year would be "different" like everyone else and yourself. I think if you ask most people, they would've expected the Caps to get out of the 2nd round by now. Yes, I know a bad bounce can really hurt you. I know a hot goalie can make all the difference. Have they had some bad luck sure. It's sports, it's not played on paper. But enough excuses already.

You didn't have to say that, your actions are saying it for you. It's clear that hockey is not the #1 sport in your life, but this rationale is exactly the same one the bandwagon fans have (I'll give you credit and say you're a little better than them, but it's still the same line they give).

It's frustrating to be a real student of the game and hard-core fan and hear things like this, or see people get an attitude over stuff they either don't understand or just have a crazy view of. It's the equivalent of the Ravens fans that cry that they make the playoffs and lose in the AFC finals every year. Be happy your team is making it that far, and try to stay there, don't try to make drastic changes because at that point it's a matter of just DOING it, not building so you CAN do it. You could be a Redskins fan and only seen the playoffs twice in 20 years, so stop crying.
@JeremyMStrain

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

CSN Baltimore: Capitals breakdown: Troy Brouwer
http://www.csnbaltim...782&feedID=6357

#13 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Are there any rumors on whom the Capitals are looking at for as a head coach?
@mrbeanage

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Are there any rumors on whom the Capitals are looking at for as a head coach?

Nah, not yet. I think they are focusing on the draft and taking their time on the coach. I'd be surprised if anything is announced for another 2 weeks.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

CSN Baltimore: Capitals breakdown: Cody Eakin
http://www.csnbaltim...608&feedID=6357

#16 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

http://www.washingto...apitals-insider

Vokoun to the Pens for a 7th. Pens sign him for 2 years/$4M to back up Fleury.

Good for us to at least get something I guess.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

http://www.washingto...apitals-insider

Vokoun to the Pens for a 7th. Pens sign him for 2 years/$4M to back up Fleury.

Good for us to at least get something I guess.

Terrible move for the Pens. He does NOT like being a backup, and is going to cause problems if they don't plan on dealing Fleury.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

Your Mom

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Terrible move for the Pens. He does NOT like being a backup, and is going to cause problems if they don't plan on dealing Fleury.

Excellent. Bad move for the Pens = good move for us. And we get a 7th rounder out of it. Not that they are all that valuable, but still nice to get paid to send them a locker room mess.

crimsontribe at twitter dot com

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Excellent. Bad move for the Pens = good move for us. And we get a 7th rounder out of it. Not that they are all that valuable, but still nice to get paid to send them a locker room mess.

Yeah it was kind of a head scratcher for me, but I guess they don't know that he's not much of a team guy. I think with Thomas taking the year off, they thought TOR or BOS would give him a better offer.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

CSN Baltimore: Capitals breakdown: Mike Green
http://www.csnbaltim...648&feedID=6357

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors