#41 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Curious to see what kind of trades GMGM has in the works, this should be an interesting off season. I've heard that there is the possibility that the salary cap could go up to 70 million for this coming year, that would certainly give the Caps some more room to work with, but would probably mean teams would just hand out more "bad" contracts.

It's not a given that the cap/floor will go up though as that is just a temporary number. The current collective bargaining agreement ends on September 15th so they need to reach a new deal so there isn't another work stoppage. They should be able to get this done, but with the NHLPA hiring Donald Fehr I am a little nervous about the situation.

#42 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Bobby Ryan is on the market. Caps better be all over him. Caps have tons of picks and salary cap space to make moves but I have zero confidence in GMGM making the right moves. Looks like all of our FA's are leaving which is a good thing in my opinion. Players I'd target thru FA: Parise, Gaustad,Jokinen,R Whitney. Trades: Ryan, D Roy and pretty much anybody that SJ is offering(Clowe,Coutoure,etc)
God hates Caps fans

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Bobby Ryan is on the market. Caps better be all over him. Caps have tons of picks and salary cap space to make moves but I have zero confidence in GMGM making the right moves. Looks like all of our FA's are leaving which is a good thing in my opinion. Players I'd target thru FA: Parise, Gaustad,Jokinen,R Whitney. Trades: Ryan, D Roy and pretty much anybody that SJ is offering(Clowe,Coutoure,etc)

ANA wants two small countries for Ryan. 25, under control for 3 more seasons at $5m. I'd ABSOLUTELY love to have him, but without Semin to add to the package I don't know that we can get there. They will be looking for 3-4 GOOD cheap players plus draft picks.

It's possible, because I think they want to save money to resign their other 2 big guns, that they might make it for prospects and picks, but we are talking something like Kunznestov, one of Alzner/Carlson and both 1sts would be what they would come back with.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'd trade them Carlson,Eakin,Laich and a 1st.
God hates Caps fans

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'd trade them Carlson,Eakin,Laich and a 1st.

Carlson and Laich would be deal-breakers for me. They wouldn't take Laich back, they are trying to save money.

I'd trade them Orlov, Eakin and both 1sts, but I don't think that gets it done.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Carlson and Laich would be deal-breakers for me. They wouldn't take Laich back, they are trying to save money.

I'd trade them Orlov, Eakin and both 1sts, but I don't think that gets it done.

Pretty much the same. No way I'm dealing Carlson, him and Alzner have a good thing going and I don't want those two split up. I'm also a big Laich fan, he's versatile, works hard, and is a team player. We need more guys like him on the team.

I'd have no problem dealing the picks and Eakin, I'm on the fence about moving Orlov though.

#47 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

How does the draft class rank this year? It's kinda exciting to have 2 midround picks in the 1st round.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#48 Ovechkin8

Ovechkin8
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Draft class is much better than last year. I love Carlson too but he's replaceable. A 2nd line Center like Ryan is far more valuable. We've seen the last couple of years how important center depth is and we haven't had it. Backstrom,Ryan,MarJo and Beagle would be sick. Plenty of FA D out there to replace Carlson as well as quality in the 1st rd. Supposed to be a wild week or so of trades leading up to July 1st FA
God hates Caps fans

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Draft class is much better than last year. I love Carlson too but he's replaceable. A 2nd line Center like Ryan is far more valuable. We've seen the last couple of years how important center depth is and we haven't had it. Backstrom,Ryan,MarJo and Beagle would be sick. Plenty of FA D out there to replace Carlson as well as quality in the 1st rd. Supposed to be a wild week or so of trades leading up to July 1st FA

Ryan is a winger.

Top 2 offensive defenseman are harder to find than 2nd line forwards too. You aren't going to see an offensive defenseman of Carlson's caliber hit FA, teams lock them up. Suter is no where near as good as Carlson offensively, and he's going to get $6m or more in FA.

ANA would jump at it, reuniting Carlson with BB, but with him coming up on RFA they might not be willing to take that money on either. They need every dime to lock up the other 2. Orlov would be cheaper and is also an offensive guy, so they might be willing to make him the feature piece in a trade.
@JeremyMStrain

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,140 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

WNST: It's Time for the Caps to Make Some Big Moves
http://wnst.net/word...some-big-moves/

#51 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

WNST: It's Time for the Caps to Make Some Big Moves
http://wnst.net/word...some-big-moves/

Unfortunately, this is one thing I don't trust our GM to do.
@ChaosLex

#52 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Jordan Staal turned down a 10-year extension from PIT. Just sayin'. ;)
@ChaosLex

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,140 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

CSN Baltimore: McPhee: Caps won't shy away from Russians
http://www.csnbaltim...202&feedID=6357

#54 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

CSN Baltimore: McPhee: Caps won't shy away from Russians
http://www.csnbaltim...202&feedID=6357

We're going to win a cup with Kuznetsov, IMO. Just have to wait a couple years. :roll:
@ChaosLex

#55 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Jordan Staal turned down a 10-year extension from PIT. Just sayin'. ;)

That's because he wants to play with his brother in CAR.
@JeremyMStrain

#56 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Does Carolina have the space to sign him?

#57 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

I was just joking around. If he didn't want to sign a longterm deal with PIT, I know he'd have no interest in playing second fiddle in WAS.
@ChaosLex

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Does Carolina have the space to sign him?

Yeah they have room, and have a year to make it work. He's tired of being 3rd string, and in CAR he'll be #2 and then take over #1 when his brother retires. I think you see all 3 Staal brothers try to play together.

I was just joking around. If he didn't want to sign a longterm deal with PIT, I know he'd have no interest in playing second fiddle in WAS.

Yeah he's not been happy about being 3rd string there, but I hear all of them are going to try to get on the same team.
@JeremyMStrain

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Cody Eakin and a 2nd rounder to DAL for C Mike Ribiero http://sports.yahoo....hl/players/1933

VERY consistent, about 20 goals and 60+ points per year player. Solid 2nd line center. Turns 33 this season.

$5m cap hit and FA after the season.

DEF a move made to win this year, low risk since he's gone next year, but can't see much more happening since he eats up $5m.
@JeremyMStrain

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Cody Eakin and a 2nd rounder to DAL for C Mike Ribiero http://sports.yahoo....hl/players/1933

VERY consistent, about 20 goals and 60+ points per year player. Solid 2nd line center. Turns 33 this season.

$5m cap hit and FA after the season.

DEF a move made to win this year, low risk since he's gone next year, but can't see much more happening since he eats up $5m.

I like it. Hopefully Ribeiro keeps his head screwed on straight.

http://sports.yahoo.... ... nhl-276106

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=