95 replies to this topic

#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm going to have to disagree here guys. Just because Gregg had some success over a six inning sample does not mean that he should start pitching higher leverage innings. Gregg has a long career of evidence showing that he is a below average reliever, and he should be used as such.

I think Buck should keep Gregg in low leverage situations. There are going to be plenty of innings for him to pitch when the O's are up or down more at least 4-5 runs. He shouldn't be pitching in games where his poor pitching can determine the outcome.

And there's just no reason for Eveland to be on the roster. Send that guy back to the minors.

You pick and choose your spots but if you want to preserve your main 4 guys over the long haul you got to start using at least a 5th guy, maybe even a 6th every so often in tighter situations. That is where losing Lindstrom hurts. Lindstrom allowed Gregg to be a 6th or 7th man in the pen and pitch in pretty much all low leverage situations. We don't have that option now. When Pomernaz gets back up here(it's just a matter of time) we probably do have a better option but not for the moment.

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'd say Gregg is probably the 5th or 6th best guy in our bullpen (when everyone is healthy). I'd put him clearly behind Johnson, Strop, Lindstrom, and O'Day. Maybe on par with Pomeranz and Patton, depending on the day (Pomeranz has some serious upside, though, and IMO will make his way clearly into the first group after a bit more time).

How often and in what situations he should be used depends on how often everyone else pitches. I think the goal should be to get Johnson, Strop, and Lindstrom into as many important situations as you can get them into without overworking them, while also not avoiding them in non-pressure situations so much that it makes them rusty. Everyone else fills in the gaps. It's a hard thing to juggle, given the high level of unknowns in terms of how much you are going to need to use the bullpen over any particular time period.

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

You don't need to send him out in higher(not HIGH) leverage situations everytime...but they should be mixed in some right now.

Maybe you wait to see if he has another few good outings...i wouldn't be opposed to that.

But after that, you have to start seeing how he handles things.

Right, obviously your main 4 are going to be your go to guys in those situations most nights but every so often you have to throw your 5th or 6th guy out of the pen in there in those spots. Especially, considering we are generally playing tight, competitive ball games every night.

#44 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

You don't need to send him out in higher(not HIGH) leverage situations everytime...but they should be mixed in some right now.

Maybe you wait to see if he has another few good outings...i wouldn't be opposed to that.

But after that, you have to start seeing how he handles things.

Right, obviously your main 4 are going to be your go to guys in those situations most nights but every so often you have to throw your 5th or 6th guy out of the pen in there in those spots. Especially, considering we are generally playing tight, competitive ball games every night.

It seems that before, Buck only put him in blowouts that the O's were losing.

I guess the next step in this progression would be to put him in games where we have a big lead. Of course, that means our offense has to get big leads. Seems to be a challenge these days.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Two straight high leverage situations for Gregg....both successful.

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Two straight high leverage situations for Gregg....both successful.

As long as Buck keeps following my lead we'll be good. ;)

Seriously though, it seemed to me Gregg had earned that right and thats why I made the post. He's made the most of that opportunity and been very good for us when we needed him in his last two appearances.

#47 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

I said in the game thread..let's give credit where credit is due.

Gregg has been the whipping boy all year, and most of the time deservedly so.

But he's pitched really well lately in a couple of big time situations. Instead of just not bashing him, let's recognize it.

I don't feel terrible when Kevin Gregg comes into the game right now. Hell, his ERA is under 3.5. Looking at the full body of work, he's having a very good season.

Weird to think about, right?

@AdamWolff

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

I said in the game thread..let's give credit where credit is due.

Gregg has been the whipping boy all year, and most of the time deservedly so.

But he's pitched really well lately in a couple of big time situations. Instead of just not bashing him, let's recognize it.

I don't feel terrible when Kevin Gregg comes into the game right now. Hell, his ERA is under 3.5. Looking at the full body of work, he's having a very good season.

Weird to think about, right?

This is why i wanted to keep him when the season started...he has the ability to be good enough to have some value.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

His Orioles tenure reminds me of the Gonzo path(hopefully it continues this way). Overpaid "proven" reliever, who struggles, loses his closers position, much better in just another relief role.
@levineps

#50 lawbuz

lawbuz
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Let's hope he continues to pitch this way until the trade deadline. I'm hoping he still has value to be seen as another team's closer. Could be part of a stellar package for a 3rd baseman.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JamieEBerry

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Do you expect Gregg to be released when Britton is promoted? (Idea being that Arrieta has been moved to the pen, and Gregg is not being used.)

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Do you expect Gregg to be released when Britton is promoted? (Idea being that Arrieta has been moved to the pen, and Gregg is not being used.)

Not a bad idea considering where he is in the 'pen pecking order, but no I don't, I think they'll use somebody's option if they can find someone to DL.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gregg has been better this year, Gonzo was also better last year. Amazing what can be done when you are in the final year of a contract.
@levineps

#53 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

He's actually gotten very good results this season after his first 3 appearances.

In 12 appearances, he's only allowed a run in one of them. His numbers in that stretch are 13.2 IP 2 ER 12 K 4 BB 0 HR

He's somewhat similar to the Nick Johnson case, though as he hasn't been used much despite his good play.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I really do not think they will release him. He has pitched very well since the first week or two of the season. The problem with Gregg is that Buck does not trust him late in close games. I really thought we might see him yesterday as we got deeper into the BP but I think Buck feels it could get ugly for Gregg if he gives it up late.
I think if we were to pay part of his contract some team would take him.
@mikeghg

#55 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

And Ryan Adams to make room for Hoes and Chavez.

@danconnollysun: Again Ryan Adams and Kevin Gregg have been DFAd

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Orioles select contracts of Endy Chavez and LJ Hoes, DFA Kevin Gregg and Ryan Adams

Good to see!

Now, will they play Hoes?

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Never thought this day would come!
@levineps

#58 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Alrighty....don't see the need for Endy at all, but I guess they want OF depth with Nick out.

I do hope we see Hoes play. Could be a good leadoff guy.

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Alrighty....don't see the need for Endy at all, but I guess they want OF depth with Nick out.

I think this is a very low risk move, rather have Endy than Gregg. Someone else can mop-up! 40-man roster after all.
@levineps

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Defense and another pinch runner.

Probably has more value to us than Gregg would for the last few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=