243 replies to this topic

#161 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

I get all of that. And Im good with them supporting him and acknowledging that he is saying (and hopefully doing) the right thing.

But a standing ovation? That just seems to be a little over the top for me.

Its support for someone who.fucked up and has shown contrition(hopefully honest contrition). Its the fans way of standing behind him the way Cain and a few others did at his press conference

#162 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:20 PM

It's definitely a bad look at best imo.

WTF.

#163 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Its support for someone who.fucked up and has shown contrition(hopefully honest contrition). Its the fans way of standing behind him the way Cain and a few others did at his press conference

If he was an average reliever and not an All-Star, do you think the fans are standing to show their support?

To the points you and Pedro made...  I'm for 2nd chances.  Do believe he could be a different guy today vs. who he was then.
Do think he's shown contrition.  

The applause just felt like a bit much to me.

#164 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

If he was an average reliever and not an All-Star, do you think the fans are standing to show their support?

To the points you and Pedro made... I'm for 2nd chances. Do believe he could be a different guy today vs. who he was then.
Do think he's shown contrition.

The applause just felt like a bit much to me.

When you mess up its nice to know some people still have your back. Again, yeah hes got family, friends, teammates who support him but its also damn nice to hear one ballpark full of people support you when you know all of the other 29 parks will be people who are all over you. And Im fine with the fans in other cities that'll boo him and heckle him. It comes with the territory of being a pro athlete and living in such a social media world and fucking up.

Like Pedro said, the majority of people there arent racists that are supporting his words from 7 years ago. They are supporting the man that sat at the presser before the game, answered all the questions, and said I fucked up.

#165 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

A bad look at best. Whats it at worst Weber

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

How. When you mess up its nice to know some people still have your back. Again, yeah hes got family, friends, teammates who support him but its also damn nice to hear one ballpark full of people support you when you know all of the other 29 parks will be people who are all over you. And Im fine with the fans in other cities that'll boo him and heckle him. It comes with the territory of being a pro athlete and living in such a social media world and fucking up.

Like Pedro said, the majority of people there arent racists that are supporting his words from 7 years ago. They are supporting the man that sat at the presser before the game, answered all the questions, and said I fucked up.

Really agree with most of this.  It just feels to me the support is centered around him being an All-Star.  Maybe that is overly cynical.

#167 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

WTF.

I don't think someone deserves a standing ovation for apologizing for being a racist and homophobe in the past (assuming he no longer is).

He apologized to his teammates and to the public, which is good.

But that's a strange reaction by the fans imo. Not what I would have done. To each their own.

#168 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:49 PM

Really agree with most of this. It just feels to me the support is centered around him being an All-Star. Maybe that is overly cynical.

Would the media storm have been as big if he werent an All Star. Im not going to sit here and tell you I think as many people wouldve supported him if he were the 25th man on the roster but assuming he showed contrition, answered all the questions like a man, and had the support of his teammates then sure there are some people in the ballpark who would've stood up and supported him

#169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

Would the media storm have been as big if he werent an All Star. Im not going to sit here and tell you I think as many people wouldve supported him if he were the 25th man on the roster but assuming he showed contrition, answered all the questions like a man, and had the support of his teammates then sure there are some people in the ballpark who would've stood up and supported him

It's definitely valid imo to say say the media storm would not have been as big if he weren't an All-Star....  and while I was tempted to say if he was the 25th guy, he might have just been cut, that's not quite true...  don't think the Union would have allowed that.

All in all.... he's the guy that has to face things going forward. He's had the right response since it came to light. We will see what his actions are going forward.

#170 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:55 PM

I don't think someone deserves a standing ovation for apologizing for being a racist and homophobe in the past (assuming he no longer is).

He apologized to his teammates and to the public, which is good.

But that's a strange reaction by the fans imo. Not what I would have done. To each their own.

Its support. Youve never fucked up, been sorry about it, and appreciated someone having your back. Especially when you know you're going to have a lot of other people out there who'll rub your face in it any chance they get

#171 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

It's definitely valid imo to say say the media storm would not have been as big if he weren't an All-Star.... and while I was tempted to say if he was the 25th guy, he might have just been cut, that's not quite true... don't think the Union would have allowed that.

All in all.... he's the guy that has to face things going forward. He's had the right response since it came to light. We will see what his actions are going forward.

But some are judging the people who chose to support him at a time he really probably needed it and appreciated it

#172 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

And I say this all without knowing whats truly in the kids heart. None of us know. He might be a full blown racist whos just saying all the right things. Thats where its always hard for me not to be cynical. But you know, sometimes you have to give people a 2nd chance and see if things are different moving forward

#173 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

But some are judging the people who chose to support him at a time he really probably needed it and appreciated it

My inclination was to judge their support as nothing more than not really thinking of how it came off, and just supporting their guy because he is an All-Star.

I think you make a reasonable case that their support was thought through.  Support for his contrition.

#174 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

Its support. Youve never fucked up, been sorry about it, and appreciated someone having your back. Especially when you know you're going to have a lot of other people out there wholl rub your face in it any chance they get

Eh, I'm not so sure the standing reaction was strictly confined to that type of support.

I was watching some sports TV today, and a couple people made the following point:

If a player had past tweets bashing the military, Christianity, white people, or America, do you think that player receives the same support?

#175 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

Eh, I'm not so sure the standing reaction was strictly confined to that type of support.

I was watching some sports TV today, and a couple people made the following point:

If a player had past tweets bashing the military, Christianity, white people, or America, do you think that player receives the same support?

Here we go. How much of a media storm would there even be if a player bashed white Christians. I say that as someone who wonders if there would really even be an outcry to the point where he'd need to hold a presser to apologize. But getting past that part of it. If the guy said some truly racist things towards whites or made insensitive remarks about the military and apologized I do believe a lot of his hometown teams fans would show him support.

#176 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Here we go. How much of a media storm would there even be if a player bashed white Christians. I say that as someone who wonders if there would really even be an outcry to the point where he'd need to hold a presser to apologize. But getting past that part of it. If the guy said some truly racist things towards whites or made insensitive remarks about the military and apologized I do believe a lot of his hometown teams fans would show him support.

I highly doubt that the fan reaction would have been nearly as supportive and I think there would be more negativity from some of the home fans too.

#177 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

I highly doubt that the fan reaction would have been nearly as supportive and I think there would be more negativity from some of the home fans too.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. How you choose to see things. Are we going to put a decibel meter in each stadium to see which guy received the louder applause on a random night with such a small overall portion of the fanbase in attendance.

There have been enough pro athletes of different races who have made various types of mistakes and indiscretions and found support from their home teams fans. This isnt really a new thing.

#178 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:40 PM

Its all in the eye of the beholder. How you choose to see things. Are we going to put a decibel meter in each stadium to see which guy received the louder applause on a random night with such a small overall portion of the fanbase in attendance.

There have been enough pro athletes of different races who have made various types of mistakes and indiscretions and found support from their home teams fans. This isnt really a new thing.

I'm not so sure this is that common. I'm not sure if there are many examples of the analogy I referenced (can't think of any off the top of my head where fans reacted so positively). In terms of various types of mistakes and indiscretions, examples that come to mind are steroid use, cheating on a spouse, abusing a spouse, breaking the law in some other way. I don't think this type of reaction is the norm in those types of situations. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

#179 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

This, and while I don't condone what he said (I don't even know what he said), he was apparently 17 years old at the time and said some stupid stuff. Which he owned up to. So in that sense I think maybe some people are getting kind of tired of these life lookbacks and tearing people apart over them. From all accounts he's been a stand-up guy in Milwaukee. Not saying a standing ovation was in order, but I can kinda understand it.

#180 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

I have no problem with support..even applause.

I just think the standing ovation takes it a step further than I would prefer to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=