#181 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

This, and while I don't condone what he said (I don't even know what he said), he was apparently 17 years old at the time and said some stupid stuff. Which he owned up to. So in that sense I think maybe some people are getting kind of tired of these life lookbacks and tearing people apart over them. From all accounts he's been a stand-up guy in Milwaukee. Not saying a standing ovation is was in order but I can kinda understand it.

I'm not trying to tear the guy down. But what he said goes beyond saying some stupid stuff as a 17 year old.

I do though appreciate his contrition since the tweets surfaced and I appreciate what his minority teammates have said about him. So I assume he's progressed in these matters, hopefully by a lot.

#182 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

I do get the optics of it and how some people look at it like WTF Brewers fans but I really dont believe thats what it is.

He was a kid who said stupid shit that he'll never live down in a lot of ways. Thats tough if youre truly contrite or as he claims it was never who he was to begin with

#183 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

I'm not trying to tear the guy down. But what he said goes beyond saying some stupid stuff as a 17 year old.

I do though appreciate his contrition since the tweets surfaced and I appreciate what his minority teammates have said about him. So I assume he's progressed in these matters, hopefully by a lot.

Not saying you are but it is a common theme these days with life markings on the internet. He's what 24 now, apparently in good standing, apparently a good guy, owned up to it. Why did even need to be raised much less attend additional mandatory sensitivity training. Maybe in the context of something new I could get it. I guess we have to get him checked out though. 

Don't really want to dig much further in this Mike. Have the last word, 

#184 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

If a player had past tweets bashing the military, Christianity, white people, or America, do you think that player receives the same support?

So true. Pretty mind boggling, honestly.

#185 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

Not saying you are but it is a common theme these days with life markings on the internet. He's what 24 now, apparently in good standing, apparently a good guy, owned up to it. Why did even need to be raised much less attend additional mandatory sensitivity training. Maybe in the context of something new I could get it. I guess we have to get him checked out though.

Don't really want to dig much further in this Mike. Have the last word,

Like I said, hopefully he's changed a lot. That said, I don't have an issue with peers, the media, the public, and/or the company (MLB in this case) following up on hateful tweets from ones past, especially when the KKK was brought up in a positive way.

A good lesson for everyone is not to post bigoted things on social media, or better yet, don't believe them to begin with.

#186 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

I do get the optics of it and how some people look at it like WTF Brewers fans but I really dont believe thats what it is.

He was a kid who said stupid shit that he'll never live down in a lot of ways. Thats tough if youre truly contrite or as he claims it was never who he was to begin with

I’m not like some and want to treat everything about color and race. That being said, when they panned the stands, it was all white people standing for him.

Again, to use your word, the optics don’t look good.

Now, where I’m not willing to take this (and where I’m sure many would take it) is that this is some white privilege thing and that the Brewers fans are racist and stuff like that.

I believe the thinking behind it is exactly what you are saying. Still, I think it was a bit over the top. I get it but still think it’s one or 2 steps too far.

#187 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

I’m not like some and want to treat everything about color and race. That being said, when they panned the stands, it was all white people standing for him.

Again, to use your word, the optics don’t look good.

Now, where I’m not willing to take this (and where I’m sure many would take it) is that this is some white privilege thing and that the Brewers fans are racist and stuff like that.

I believe the thinking behind it is exactly what you are saying. Still, I think it was a bit over the top. I get it but still think it’s one or 2 steps too far.

What is one or two steps back if youre just a regular Brewers fan? What other way can they show support. I know some will scoff at this here but whatever. If Hader is being real now, if thats never what was truly in his heart, he is a sympathetic figure. He let words come out of his mouth that didn't really represent who he was. He likely didnt even know who he was a 17. I will say I have no sympathy for say John Rocker at 30 something years old for the stuff he said.

#188 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

Here we go. How much of a media storm would there even be if a player bashed white Christians. .

None. I doubt it would even get a snippet on Fox News. 

#189 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Can't imagine why one would be a story and the other wouldn't.

#190 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:37 PM

bnickle, on 23 Jul 2018 - 20:25, said:
What is one or two steps back if youre just a regular Brewers fan? What other way can they show support. I know some will scoff at this here but whatever. If Hader, is being real now, if thats never what was truly in his heart, he is a sysympathetic figure. He let words come out of his mouth that didn't really represent who he was. He likely didnt even know who he was a 17. I will say I have no sympathy for say John Rocker at 30 something years old for the stuff he said.

Just a normal applause. Show support but no need for a longer standing ovation.

BTW, knowing the area he grew up in, I am not all that surprised this was how he thought (or how he thought he should think) back in high school.

#191 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:50 PM

I'm sure that if let's say a hypothetical Muslim player had said hateful stuff about White Christians, it would have gotten plenty of attention. I'm also pretty sure that the reception for that player would not have been as positive as it was for Hader.

#192 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Brewers get Gio Gonzalez. He doesn’t move the needle.

#193 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:39 PM

Also got Granderson and a lefty reliever fro the White Sox (Cedeno)

#194 Dystopia

Dystopia
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

Brewers get Gio Gonzalez. He doesn’t move the needle.

Their team management has been a real cluster. No idea what they're doing or what their direction is. Nothing they've done makes sense.

#195 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

A 2 homer and 3 RBI day by Yelich today puts him in position to win the Triple Crown, depending on what Arenado does.

#196 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

I drafted Yelich in at least one of my leagues each of the past few years -- this year I didn't and he decides to break out.

Now I have to sweat out the play in games because of the stupid rule that these count towards the regular season.

Ugh..

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#197 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

That said, Yelich is really awesome.

Marlins could have an OF of Yelich Ozuna and Stanton.  I'd be pissed if I was one of their fans. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#198 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:47 AM