#61 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Always go to my Grandma's in Catonsville. Nice to stay home for Thanksgiving. She's 84 years old and still going strong. We usually have 20+ extended family members, but it's quite a bit smaller this year. Big turkey, big ham, with plenty of side dishes. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and some potato/cheese/butter casserole thing that tastes like heaven. Plenty of pies for dessert (apple, cherry, pumpkin, chocolate). Always a good time. We're very Italian, but we do that for Christmas. All traditional for Thanksgiving.

One semi-odd thing we do is that we eat pretty late. I know most people eat close to Noon, but we eat around 5:30. Not sure why, just always the way we've done it. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, always a fun time of year. Hope nobody has to travel tomorrow in that crappy weather.

My family eats pretty late. We have a brunch with one side of the family early, then finish preparing dinner and take it to the other side of the family, so we don't eat until 6-6:30.

Bull Roasts are so beloved in Baltimore and so completely foreign everywhere else I've lived.  Its pretty interesting. 

You mean the general idea? I can't imagine most places don't have something similar, even if it involves seafood or barbecue or whatever the local specialty is.

@DJ_McCann

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:27 PM

Balled up and battered some leftover stuffing, breaded with panko, and deep fried it. Highly recommend! Mix some cranberry relish with mayo for a dipping sauce, or just dip in leftover gravy. Start dieting sometime next week.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#63 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

You mean the general idea? I can't imagine most places don't have something similar, even if it involves seafood or barbecue or whatever the local specialty is.

All of it.  The idea of buying a raffle tickets, or paying up front for food/prizes, the term 'bull roast', etc.  Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of any type of gathering remotely close to bull roast anywhere else in the country.

@fuzydunlop

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Deep frying a turkey....either Cajun or jerk recipe.

#65 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

All of it.  The idea of buying a raffle tickets, or paying up front for food/prizes, the term 'bull roast', etc.  Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of any type of gathering remotely close to bull roast anywhere else in the country.

Well, that just makes us far more awesome than them. Just went to a bull roast last weekend.

• McNulty likes this
@DJ_McCann

#66 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Deep frying a turkey....either Cajun or jerk recipe.

I'd go with jerk.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#67 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

Well, that just makes us far more awesome than them. Just went to a bull roast last weekend.

I love oysters but every time I eat them I'm vomiting a few hours later. Sucks.

@bopper33

#68 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

Oyster rock a feller are the boom.
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#69 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:37 PM

I'd go with jerk.

I usually do a jerk seasoning. It's my "Seacrets Turkey".

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

"Seacrets turkey" sounds like the name of a NSFW subreddit.
  • Chris B and KWebz like this

#71 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:45 PM

Will be spending Thanksgiving at the cousin of JJ Hardy's house (and I'm sure at some point the talk amongst some will turn to the O's).  We will be bringing mashed taters, spinach artichoke dip, pumpkin bread pudding, maybe my aunt's super-world famous homemade cheesecake, and wine/beer/liquor.

After dinner I think the plan is for everyone to head to someone else's house (with a much bigger yard) and everyone will bring their dogs so the dogs can play/run around while the humans continue drinking/eating.

Friday (after running errands and maybe a little black friday madness) we'll do our own thanksgiving at home with our own turkey breast, more mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls, veggies, etc., etc., more booze.

You're not hosting? That's a lot of stuff to bring.

@levineps

#72 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

We usually eat at just before halftime of the Cowboys game, never thought of it as "late" but judging from some on here it is.

@levineps

#73 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

We're schlepping pretty much the whole meal (turkey, potatoes, salad, deviled eggs, rolls, two desserts, etc.) to my grandparents', because they live in a more central location for our family and can't do that much on their own anymore.

@DJ_McCann

#74 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, guys and gals.

I'll be sitting at home, drinking beer and eating leftover chinese food. Two thumbs up for being sick!

#75 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Nah, not that much.  1 side, 2 desserts, 1 app, 3 bottles of wine, a 6 pack, and the fixings for old fashioned's.  Should easily fit into 2 bags.

And Merry Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#76 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Nah, not that much.  1 side, 2 desserts, 1 app, 3 bottles of wine, a 6 pack, and the fixings for old fashioned's.  Should easily fit into 2 bags.

And Merry Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night.

My parents are hosting; other than my uncle who does the turkey, no one is contributing that much.

@levineps

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

Having Thanksgiving Dinners tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday....  that's my type of marathon.

• Mackus likes this

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

I think Mackus is out hunting his turkey right now.
  • Russ and Mackus like this

@bopper33

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

That's awesome, can never have too much Thanksgiving food in my mind. 

I host a big Thanksgiving party for my friends every year the weekend prior.  Did it this past Saturday.  Made a smoked turkey for the first time (well, at this event, I did a test run a few weeks before).  It's really good, my favorite way to do it that I've found (like it better than fried, which is also good, smoking until half-cooked and then finishing in the fryer sounds like an idea worth investigating).  Only catch is can't really stuff it, since I butterfly the turkey to get more exposure to the smoke and to cook faster.  But can still make tons of dressing/stuffing and then add pan drippings to that to get that "in the bird" flavor, also leads to a smoky gravy.  Also, stock made from the leftover smoked carcass is amazing and really smoky, made turkey gumbo with it that I've been eating all week and is fantastic.

My parents and my wife's parents live near each other, so we still do the "two Thanksgivings" plan on Thursday. 

And this year, we leave for our delayed honeymoon to Thailand on Friday.  Hopefully still in enough of a food coma to get some sleep on the cross-world flight!

• BSLChrisStoner, SBTarheel, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

Enjoy, and looking forward to hearing about your trip...  should be quite the experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=