#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Wow. I was at that game too. Amazing atmosphere. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'll drink a jaeger bomb to BSL tonight.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#42 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Happy Thanksgiving. Two meals again, as it has been since 2005. I don't know what we'll be eating, but the usual suspects will be there. Maybe I'll write it down.

#43 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Among many other things, one of the things I'm most thankful for is BSL and this community. I love spending a few hours a day here to chat with all of you, read the awesome content and listen to the podcasts.

I hope everyone travels safe, eats well and gets what they want on Black Friday.

Cheers!

A toast...

On this day to be thankful, this is how I'll begin...

To Family and to Friends, and those that snuck in,

To good food and good drink, in hopes it never ends

And Ravens versus Steelers that ends in our win!

Stay safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Turkey's roasting...potatoes boiling...cranberry sauce chilling...salad waiting for dressing...rolls...just kind of sitting there until the oven is available...

It's a good day :)

@DJ_McCann

#45 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Enjoy this dude's timeline, as it had me cracking up.  Start at the tweet about how he's on a flight and has 5 hours to kill.

https://twitter.com/theyearofelan

• DJ MC and Don Quixote like this

@fuzydunlop

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Enjoy this dude's timeline, as it had me cracking up.  Start at the tweet about how he's on a flight and has 5 hours to kill.

https://twitter.com/theyearofelan

I'm pretty sure if I was on a flight with BNickle, that would be about how it would go.

@DJ_McCann

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Heading into the game with a belly full of food and drink. What a day!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#48 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Nope, didn't write it down. Let me try to remember what was in the offing, combined.... I didn't eat/drink every item, but I did have a portion of most of them. Unfortunately, I ended up watching most of the Ravens game while slowly working out a horrible case of gas; fortunately for the captive audience, most of the gas went up instead of down before exiting.

turkey

venison roast wrapped in bacon (overcooked)

stuffing, "normal"

stuffing with cranberry and walnuts(?)

ranch au gratin casserole

asparagus with Hollandaise sauce

long grain and wild rice

pumpkin pie

berry medley pie

French apple pie

mince meat pie

pumpkin cheesecake

pumpkin bread

lemon poppyseed bread

orange-cranberry bread

egg nog

sparkling cider

sweet potato casserole with pecan(?) glaze/crumb topping

mashed potatoes

corn pudding

brown gravy

maybe a few other things

• Russ and Markus like this

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:22 AM

Well... let's bump this once again...  any new things on the menus this year?

#50 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thanksgiving is our last day of this deployment, and we're doing our traditional 1st Class Petty Officer grilling event.  Fish Tacos/California Burritos (all fish we've caught early mornings before work starts), corn, guacamole (somehow we have avocados still).  I think they'll have some impromptu traditional Thanksgiving during the afternoon.  We were supposed to be in port somewhere instead of heading home.

I wish I could have some oyster stuffing as I usually do, but I'll settle for a beverage or 20 on Friday...and Saturday...and Sunday.

• BSLChrisStoner, Russ, DuffMan and 1 other like this

@fuzydunlop

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

I always host all my friends at my house the Sunday before Thanksgiving for a Turkey prequal.  I make the turkey, stuffing, and gravy, everyone else brings a side.  I did two slightly smaller turkeys this year (still 17 lb each) and cooked one on my Weber rotisserie for the first time (the other roasted in the oven like usual).  I had some big troubles keeping it on the spit, which led to me constantly opening the grill to fix it which extended the cooking time, but the flavor was fantastic.  The skin got incredibly crispy and smokey (I added some hickory chunks at the beginning for extra smoke flavor).

I also made turkey noodle soup out of the grilled/smoked turkey carcass, and the broth has an awesome smokey flavor.

• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#52 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Always go to my Grandma's in Catonsville. Nice to stay home for Thanksgiving. She's 84 years old and still going strong. We usually have 20+ extended family members, but it's quite a bit smaller this year. Big turkey, big ham, with plenty of side dishes. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and some potato/cheese/butter casserole thing that tastes like heaven. Plenty of pies for dessert (apple, cherry, pumpkin, chocolate). Always a good time. We're very Italian, but we do that for Christmas. All traditional for Thanksgiving.

One semi-odd thing we do is that we eat pretty late. I know most people eat close to Noon, but we eat around 5:30. Not sure why, just always the way we've done it. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, always a fun time of year. Hope nobody has to travel tomorrow in that crappy weather.

@BSLZackKiesel

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thanksgiving is our last day of this deployment, and we're doing our traditional 1st Class Petty Officer grilling event.  Fish Tacos/California Burritos (all fish we've caught early mornings before work starts), corn, guacamole (somehow we have avocados still).  I think they'll have some impromptu traditional Thanksgiving during the afternoon.  We were supposed to be in port somewhere instead of heading home.

I wish I could have some oyster stuffing as I usually do, but I'll settle for a beverage or 20 on Friday...and Saturday...and Sunday.

No Starbucks?  ;)

• McNulty and Markus like this

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

Always go to my Grandma's in Catonsville. Nice to stay home for Thanksgiving. She's 84 years old and still going strong. We usually have 20+ extended family members, but it's quite a bit smaller this year. Big turkey, big ham, with plenty of side dishes. Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and some potato/cheese/butter casserole thing that tastes like heaven. Plenty of pies for dessert (apple, cherry, pumpkin, chocolate). Always a good time. We're very Italian, but we do that for Christmas. All traditional for Thanksgiving.

One semi-odd thing we do is that we eat pretty late. I know most people eat close to Noon, but we eat around 5:30. Not sure why, just always the way we've done it. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, always a fun time of year. Hope nobody has to travel tomorrow in that crappy weather.

We eat late too.  We do a massive breakfast around 10 or so and then appetizers (shrimp, wings, etc) during football.  Turkey gets carved around 6.

@bopper33

#55 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:56 PM

Alumni Bull Roast for the 2nd year tomorrow night, then essentially another high school reunion later as we see everyone at the bars that night in Towson.

Turkey Bowl is Thanksgiving morning at 10 am but I will probably be too hungover so I'll just watch it on TV and nap.

Mom's side of the family dinner is at 2 pm right down the street. Usually fill up heavily and snooze through the end of the 1st NFL game and into the 2nd. Changes might have to be made since Xavier is in one of those Thanksgiving tournaments at 4 pm.

Then it's off to my dad's side for another dinner, usually around 6. I usually take it easier for the later one because I'm too stuffed. Both sides of the family have traditional Thanksgiving dinners. 

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I get two dinners this year. I'll be working at the fire house tomorrow, so we'll have a crew Turkey dinner. We'll deep fry a turkey and everyone is bringing a side. 10 of us, should be a healthy feast. 

On Thursday we always go to my dads cousins place. Dinner is always early, like 1:00 early. By halftime of the second game I'm ready for another plate. 

Not the biggest fan of turkey, but I've found that if you don't deep fry, a brine is a must for moist turkey. I love all the sides more. Stuffing from scratch is probably my favorite. However, my mom makes the best deviled eggs in the entire world, and I have my grandmom's recipe for something called Jello Salad. Its simple. Basically just blueberry jello and blueberries in a casserole dish with a sweetened cream cheese spread on top with chopped nuts to garnish. So good.

@BSLMikeRandall

#57 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Alumni Bull Roast for the 2nd year tomorrow night, then essentially another high school reunion later as we see everyone at the bars that night in Towson.

Turkey Bowl is Thanksgiving morning at 10 am but I will probably be too hungover so I'll just watch it on TV and nap.

Mom's side of the family dinner is at 2 pm right down the street. Usually fill up heavily and snooze through the end of the 1st NFL game and into the 2nd. Changes might have to be made since Xavier is in one of those Thanksgiving tournaments at 4 pm.

Then it's off to my dad's side for another dinner, usually around 6. I usually take it easier for the later one because I'm too stuffed. Both sides of the family have traditional Thanksgiving dinners. 

Bull Roasts are so beloved in Baltimore and so completely foreign everywhere else I've lived.  Its pretty interesting. 

@fuzydunlop

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

What does everyone put in their brine? I use vegetable broth, sea salt, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Let it sit overnight in some ice. Very very very juicy and tasty.

I also recommend cooking the bird on a higher temp for a shorter time, cover the skin with foil so it doesn't burn. So so so good.

@bopper33

#59 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

Will be spending Thanksgiving at the cousin of JJ Hardy's house (and I'm sure at some point the talk amongst some will turn to the O's).  We will be bringing mashed taters, spinach artichoke dip, pumpkin bread pudding, maybe my aunt's super-world famous homemade cheesecake, and wine/beer/liquor.

After dinner I think the plan is for everyone to head to someone else's house (with a much bigger yard) and everyone will bring their dogs so the dogs can play/run around while the humans continue drinking/eating.

Friday (after running errands and maybe a little black friday madness) we'll do our own thanksgiving at home with our own turkey breast, more mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls, veggies, etc., etc., more booze.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

What does everyone put in their brine? I use vegetable broth, sea salt, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Let it sit overnight in some ice. Very very very juicy and tasty.

I also recommend cooking the bird on a higher temp for a shorter time, cover the skin with foil so it doesn't burn. So so so good.

I put sugar in my brine as well. I've also heard of people using molasses. But thats to expensive to waste like that.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=