#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

It's not rocket science to have him as the starting DH vs righties. I'm pretty confident that Buck will use him that way as long as he has someone to use vs lefties like Reimold or Gomes or Hoes or La Porta.

He's arguably the best hitter on the team vs righties and there's a clear role for him on the team as it's presently constructed. Case closed.

That's fine..but stop asking why people don't want Betimet here or whatever...I told you why. The answers to why we don't want him are just as clear as the answers to keep him.

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

That's fine..but stop asking why people don't want Betimet here or whatever...I told you why. The answers to why we don't want him are just as clear as the answers to keep him.

I didn't ask anyone. I just don't get it because it makes no sense whatsoever. The argument for keeping him is so much stronger than for getting rid of him. It's one thing to be open to moving him depending on other factors, it's another to act like he has little to no value, because that's just wrong.

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I didn't ask anyone. I just don't get it because it makes no sense whatsoever. The argument for keeping him is so much stronger than for getting rid of him. It's one thing to be open to moving him depending on other factors, it's another to act like he has little to know value, because that's just wrong.

In your mind, yes it is.

But the argument for getting rid of him makes a lot of sense too.

Remember, for your argument to work, the manager must use him properly. It is predicated on that. It also means that the team has enough offensive depth to do that.

The argument against him are things that are total knowns..poor defense, can't hit lefties, no speed, etc...

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

In your mind, yes it is.

But the argument for getting rid of him makes a lot of sense too.

Remember, for your argument to work, the manager must use him properly. It is predicated on that. It also means that the team has enough offensive depth to do that.

The argument against him are things that are total knowns..poor defense, can't hit lefties, no speed, etc...

Yes, so lets trade a bunch and pay a lot more for Billy Butler. No defense, no speed, decent, but not great vs righties.

It is a total known that Betemit led the team in OPS vs righties last year, and it is a total known that his numbers were not a fluke. It is a total known that he only costs 1.75M next year. It is a total known that there are plenty of good options to platoon with him. It is a total known that Buck has platooned before, as recently as last year, and he platooned Betemit and Thome when they were the primary DH, even though he didn't have a good right handed hitter to platoon them with.

That's a pretty strong list of total knowns if that's what you want to call them.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes, so lets trade a bunch and pay a lot more for Billy Butler. No defense, no speed, decent, but not great vs righties.

It is a total known that Betemit led the team in OPS vs righties last year, and it is a total known that his numbers were not a fluke. It is a total known that he only costs 1.75M next year. It is a total known that there are plenty of good options to platoon with him. It is a total known that Buck has platooned before, as recently as last year, and he platooned Betemit and Thome when they were the primary DH, even though he didn't have a good right handed hitter to platoon them with.

That's a pretty strong list of total knowns if that's what you want to call them.

Sure is...but that list doesn't mean its a better list or a better argument than the reasons why NOT to keep him.

Personally, I don't care either way. I would like to see them get better solutions at several positions and if they do that, I am more in favor of a platoon somewhere. What I don't want is 2-3 different platoons.

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Sure is...but that list doesn't mean its a better list or a better argument than the reasons why NOT to keep him.

Personally, I don't care either way. I would like to see them get better solutions at several positions and if they do that, I am more in favor of a platoon somewhere. What I don't want is 2-3 different platoons.

It logically does mean exactly that. Those are some significant positives and they're countered by saying a guy whom will play DH vs righties isn't a good fielder, is slow, and can't hit lefties. Well DH's generally aren't good fielders and they're generally slow, so those reasons are far from significant. And if he is paired with a righty, which is what I and everyone else is advocating, then the lefty issue isn't much of one either. And the other counter is that Duq and Buck may be dumb, because they'd have to be to plan on using Betemit vs lefties on any consistent basis.

And yeah, 3 platoons is hard to do with only 13 position players. I'd have no issue with 2 platoons, though if they're intelligent and don't screw too much with the roster flexibility.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,922 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's obvious that Betemit shouldn't be cut and replaced on the roster with someone like LaPorta.

Whether Betemit should be handed a role as a platoon member at 1B and DH against RHP to start the year or if he should just be a bench player could be debated, but his roster spot shouldn't be. An argument that he's only valuable if used properly is pretty meaningless, as well, IMO. Is any player valuable when used incorrectly? It's not like the correct way to use Betemit is complicated or not obvious. Bat him against righties, sit him against lefties. We saw that happen last year, when 75% of his PAs came against RHP, and a big portion of his PAs v LHP came when we didn't have any other healthy options to use instead of him.

He doesn't have to start every game against a right-handed starter, especially not if both Reynolds and Davis are hitting at the time, but he can get occasional starts if they are struggling and be a bat off the bench late in games. I can't think of many bench players who would be more valuable than that. Reimold has the potential to be pretty similar, except at LF and DH instead of 1B and DH and occasionally 3B. But Betemit is a far surer bet to hit well against righties and be available instead of injures.

#48 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

IMO, the biggest argument against keeping Betemit is the fact that he has a 3.5 mil vesting option kicking in if he gets 250 ABs this year. It's obvious that if Betemit is on the team next year(he will be) that Buck will use him properly unless injuries completely deplete the roster. He's rarely going to play the field, he might give Manny or whoever our 1B an occasional day off, and he'll never start against LHP. He'll either be a bench bat or a platoon DH.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,922 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

IMO, the biggest argument against keeping Betemit is the fact that he has a 3.5 mil vesting option kicking in if he gets 250 ABs this year. It's obvious that if Betemit is on the team next year(he will be) that Buck will use him properly unless injuries completely deplete the roster. He's rarely going to play the field, he might give Manny or whoever our 1B an occasional day off, and he'll never start against LHP. He'll either be a bench bat or a platoon DH.

It's actually 324 PAs to vest the option (700 total over '12-13).

Agree with everything else you said. Ideally we can keep him under that number, but if we're in a race down the stretch and going over that threshold helps the team, I forget about it and deal with it in the offseason.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

If he's putting up an .850 or OPS as the starting DH vs righties, I'm not too concerned about the vesting option. If the team is contending, he'll be very helpful, if not, they'll be able to deal him if they like or if not, the 3.5M isn't bad for what he does. If he doesn't hit nearly as well next year and/or is relegated to a bench bat from the start, then he won't likely reach the 324 PA's needed.

I agree that it's obvious he'll be used intelligently if brought back.

#51 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Couldn't the team have claimed LaPorta yesterday when the Indians outrighted him to AAA? I'm pretty sure they could have if they wanted him. If they were interested, they would've claimed him rather than take him in the Rule V draft. Then they wouldn't have to keep him on the major league roster all year.

They could always have outrighted Exposito if they needed room on the 40 man roster.
@BSLKevinEbert

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Camden Depot: Seeking value in the Rule 5 Draft
http://camdendepot.b...draft-2012.html

#53 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Wonder if the O's would target former farmhand Randy Henry in the rule 5 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...012/#list=rule5
@JeffLongBP

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Reminder that Rule 5 Draft will be held on the 6th.

#55 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

The Orioles took T.J. McFarland in the Rule 5 Draft. He's a 23 year old left handed starter from the Indians. Don't know much about him, but I'd imagine they're hoping his stuff plays up in relief.

http://www.fangraphs... ... position=P
@BSLKevinEbert

#56 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

The Orioles took T.J. McFarland in the Rule 5 Draft. He's a 23 year old left handed starter from the Indians. Don't know much about him, but I'd imagine they're hoping his stuff plays up in relief.

He was ranked the #21 prospect in the Indians system by BA after the 2011 season. Rated as having the best control after this season.

McFarland hasn't moved quickly but he has put himself on the radar with consistent performance. Though he lacks overpowering stuff, he has succeeded by sinking the ball and piling up groundouts. His fastball sits in the high 80s with heavy life and tail, which makes it difficult for hitters to lift. With his large, thick frame, he isn't likely to add velocity, so he'll have to rely on movement and the refinement of his secondary pitches and control. He pitches well off his fastball, moving it in and out. He throws across his body, which isn't ideal but does provide some deception from his low three-quarters arm slot. McFarland's sweeping slider and changeup are both fringy, but he mixes his them well and has good feel for his craft. While his upside is limited, he could be a back-of-the-rotation starter or middle reliever in the majors. His next step is Triple-A.

#57 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

A lefty who doesn't walk too many guys or give up many homers. Baseball America lists him as having the best control in the Indians system.

#58 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

McFarland is essentially Mike Belfiore with better command and less velocity.

#59 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli
#Orioles lose Robbie Widlansky off Double-A roster to Angels. Takes RHP Tom Boleska off Twins Double-A roster.

#60 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli
#Orioles lose Robbie Widlansky off Double-A roster to Angels. Takes RHP Tom Boleska off Twins Double-A roster.

Boleska pitched for Fargo-Moorehead of the independent league this past season. Was signed by the Twins on October 16th.

Edit: O's pass in AA-phase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=