59 replies to this topic

#1 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Steve Melewski posted an interesting article this morning about who might need to be protected for the Rule V Draft that is coming up. Today is the deadline for protecting players prior to the draft itself.

http://www.masnsport..._medium=twitter

The O's have a full 40-man, so who gets bumped to make room for Schoop? Could we see the O's trading somebody to open up a spot?
@JeffLongBP

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

They have a couple spots to play with. Guys like Exposito, Quintanilla, Andino, Mahoney and a couple more could be cut easy. I expect Belifore to be added too, they wouldn't waste an AFL spot on a guy they were about to let go anyway, and they could use the depth in the pen to get Matusz out of there.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

They've got plenty of spots available. There are a handful or so of guys who are of no real value and can be removed from the 40-man without any concern. Almost all of them would pass waivers and remain in Orioles control, aside from any who can elect for free agency.

We won't have to make any tough decisions, at least not right now. If we sign a couple guys in between now and the draft, we'll have to then expose a couple of the minor leaguers, but really, only Schoop and Belfiore are guys you really care about protecting, IMO.

#4 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Steve Melewski posted an interesting article this morning about who might need to be protected for the Rule V Draft that is coming up. Today is the deadline for protecting players prior to the draft itself.

http://www.masnsport..._medium=twitter

The O's have a full 40-man, so who gets bumped to make room for Schoop? Could we see the O's trading somebody to open up a spot?

I only count 38 on our roster from the MLB website.

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Belfiore and Schoop are the only two I would add.

I've been pretty high on Belfiore since the beginning of the year, definitely see his potential as a solid LOOGY in the mlb. Maybe he amounts to more, but that's what he could minimally be if all things work.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I would remove Omar Q and Luis Exposito. The interesting thing is we have 19 pitchers on the 40 and there is not one I want to see cut.
I think that is a very good thing.
@mikeghg

#7 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

No love for Bobby Bundy? He's at least got some potential to be a middle reliever, right?
@BSLKevinEbert

#8 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

No love for Bobby Bundy? He's at least got some potential to be a middle reliever, right?

He just slipped my mind. I would consider adding him and could see a team taking a flier on him.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

The biggest reason you keep him is because of his brother.

He is a MR at best...doubt anyone would grab him but I would certainly rather him stay in the organization vs several of the guys on roster right now.

#10 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Quintanilla and Exposito are both easy removals from the 40-man.

Wonder if we could remove BRob from the 40-man as well..?

I might also remove Zach Clark.

As far as who I'd add - Schoop, Belfiore and Bobby Bundy are easy ones for me.

#11 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

The biggest reason you keep him is because of his brother.

He is a MR at best...doubt anyone would grab him but I would certainly rather him stay in the organization vs several of the guys on roster right now.

I don't know how you can say that.
He has some solid stuff too. He may not be his brother, but there are no durability issues or anything like that. He simply had a tough injury and it affected play last year. I have seen him pitch plenty, and am certainly not pegging him as only a MR. could that be what he ends up as? Sure. But not sure how you can say that is what he is at best.

Also, he is the perfect player to grab. Coming off an injury in which he clearly was not himself, not protected, has the bloodline AND decent stuff. Seems like he has quite the few reasons to be selected.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I don't know how you can say that.
He has some solid stuff too. He may not be his brother, but there are no durability issues or anything like that. He simply had a tough injury and it affected play last year. I have seen him pitch plenty, and am certainly not pegging him as only a MR. could that be what he ends up as? Sure. But not sure how you can say that is what he is at best.

Also, he is the perfect player to grab. Coming off an injury in which he clearly was not himself, not protected, has the bloodline AND decent stuff. Seems like he has quite the few reasons to be selected.

I have read his stuff is just ok.

He showed good GB tendancies early on but now that has gone away. He was awful this year as he got into the higher levels. Control was worse, homers were up and Ks were down.

If he can back to his pre 2012 stats, he has upside as a back end starter...but I am not sure how realistic that is at this point.

#13 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Remember, teams have to think enough of these guys to keep them all season so they have to think that the player will either help them this season or it's worth stashing them on the roster this year in order to have them in future seasons. I really can't think of too many Oriole players who we should be worried about losing. Belfiore might be protected just because he's lefthanded but I doubt he could stick on a ML roster all season and it's not like he's got tons of upside. Schoop will be protected for sure. I'm really not worried about losing anyone else.

#14 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

He showed good GB tendancies early on but now that has gone away. He was awful this year as he got into the higher levels. Control was worse, homers were up and Ks were down.

If he can back to his pre 2012 stats, he has upside as a back end starter...but I am not sure how realistic that is at this point.

You cannot go by stats or this year at all. He was not healthy this entire season. Probably should not have even pitched. There was an absolute difference in his ability before this injury. I wrote on Bobby a little in my prospect list: http://baltimorespor... ... ist-20-11/

I fully expect him to be back in form for 2013. His injury is primarily the same as what Arrieta had with the bone spur. It's an injury that is easy to come back from, and the pitcher usually comes back stronger.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

He just slipped my mind. I would consider adding him and could see a team taking a flier on him.

Yeah didn't notice him on the list. I'd keep him too. Worst case I think he ends up a solid RP, but he's still got a little chance at a back end/swing starter. I'd give him at least another year to show he's healthy before I'd decide on that though, and keep him around either way. He's a perfect example of a guy that can step in and be effective out of the pen instead of spending on a FA.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

He's better than that. Wouldn't write him off as a back end guy just yet. It's more like WORST case he ends up a MR.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Well, the team added Schoop and Belfiore to the 40 man. They outrighted Oliver Drake to AAA. Bobby Bundy is not part of the 40 man roster, and unless something changes before the end of the day - he'll be eligible to be taken in the Rule V Draft. They had 39 guys on the 40 man, so now the roster is full.
@BSLKevinEbert

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

If they are taking someone in the rule 5, I think I'd rather them take a shot on Matt LaPorta from CLE. Maybe it's been injuries that have derailed him, maybe not, but I'd give it a shot and if it doesn't work in a few months you let him go. I doubt at our stage you're going to be able to keep a rule 5 guy all year anyway, so might as well take an early season flier.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

If they are taking someone in the rule 5, I think I'd rather them take a shot on Matt LaPorta from CLE. Maybe it's been injuries that have derailed him, maybe not, but I'd give it a shot and if it doesn't work in a few months you let him go. I doubt at our stage you're going to be able to keep a rule 5 guy all year anyway, so might as well take an early season flier.

I'd like LaPorta if we were where we were a year ago. But now that we're pretty well set at 1B/DH, that seems like a spot that would be too crowded to get LaPorta any time and he wouldn't be useful for any other minor roles.

If we cut Reynolds and go with Davis at 1B full time, or Davis in LF full time, then maybe there would be a spot for him.

He's worth the $25k gamble on a Rule V pick, if there aren't any more promising guys, though. I'm talking more about whether I think he'd actually go north with the team or be offered back to Cleveland.

#20 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'd like LaPorta if we were where we were a year ago. But now that we're pretty well set at 1B/DH, that seems like a spot that would be too crowded to get LaPorta any time and he wouldn't be useful for any other minor roles.

If we cut Reynolds and go with Davis at 1B full time, or Davis in LF full time, then maybe there would be a spot for him.

He's worth the $25k gamble on a Rule V pick, if there aren't any more promising guys, though. I'm talking more about whether I think he'd actually go north with the team or be offered back to Cleveland.

He'd probably be offered back at some point, but I don't like Betemit at all, I'd rather see him cut and have a little more flexibility on the roster and some upside potential in LaPorta. He's got easy power, and I think a HR friendly park and a chance might be all he needs. I'd take a shot, but that's just me, cause I don't like the current mess of 1B/DH we have on the roster.
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=