59 replies to this topic

#21 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'd like LaPorta if we were where we were a year ago. But now that we're pretty well set at 1B/DH, that seems like a spot that would be too crowded to get LaPorta any time and he wouldn't be useful for any other minor roles.

If we cut Reynolds and go with Davis at 1B full time, or Davis in LF full time, then maybe there would be a spot for him.

He's worth the $25k gamble on a Rule V pick, if there aren't any more promising guys, though. I'm talking more about whether I think he'd actually go north with the team or be offered back to Cleveland.

I'd love to see the O's take a shot on a guy like Michael Inoa. He's nowhere near ready for the show, but he also still has huge upside. If we could hide him in the bullpen for a year that could be quite the coup.
@JeffLongBP

#22 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

He'd probably be offered back at some point, but I don't like Betemit at all, I'd rather see him cut and have a little more flexibility on the roster and some upside potential in LaPorta. He's got easy power, and I think a HR friendly park and a chance might be all he needs. I'd take a shot, but that's just me, cause I don't like the current mess of 1B/DH we have on the roster.

I'd like to think we could flip Betemit to a team who needs a platoon at 3B/DH or a NL team for a lefty bench bat. He's really solid from the left side (.302/.357/.502)
@JeffLongBP

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'd love to see the O's take a shot on a guy like Michael Inoa. He's nowhere near ready for the show, but he also still has huge upside. If we could hide him in the bullpen for a year that could be quite the coup.

He got added to the roster, he's protected.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'd like to think we could flip Betemit to a team who needs a platoon at 3B/DH or a NL team for a lefty bench bat. He's really solid from the left side (.302/.357/.502)

Yeah definitely possible. I just have never really been a fan, and last season I felt like he created a log jam on our roster all season and gave away more games than he helped win.
@JeremyMStrain

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yeah definitely possible. I just have never really been a fan, and last season I felt like he created a log jam on our roster all season and gave away more games than he helped win.

And batted right handed wayyyyy too much. That was always fun in the Game Threads at least.

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,928 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't support the idea of cutting Betemit. He really does rake against RHP and I don't think Betemit is quite as bad defensively as he looked last year. He's not average at 3B, but I don't think he's so bad that you can never play him there. At 1B he's fine. I think there will be a couple hundred at bats for him between 1B or DH and an occasional start at 3B to rest Manny plus PH late in games.

For $1.75M, I think there is plenty of value in having him on the team. I would try to prevent his vesting option from kicking in, which would mean 320 or so PAs or less. He had ~375 last year, so in a reduce role I don't think that should be a problem.

If we end up needing that bench spot for someone with more defensive versatility, fine, but cutting him before the season is unnecessary. Especially for someone crappy like LaPorta, even if he might have some upside left (it's been 1000+ PAs in the majors and his OPS is sub-700).

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

For $1.75M, I think there is plenty of value in having him on the team. I would try to prevent his vesting option from kicking in, which would mean 320 or so PAs or less. He had ~375 last year, so in a reduce role I don't think that should be a problem.

I agree with this. Cut his 96 PA's as an RHB, and that does the job. He also missed some time on the DL though, so if he's healthy, he may get more PA's naturally. Either way, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to keep him under 320.

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I don't support the idea of cutting Betemit. He really does rake against RHP and I don't think Betemit is quite as bad defensively as he looked last year. He's not average at 3B, but I don't think he's so bad that you can never play him there. At 1B he's fine. I think there will be a couple hundred at bats for him between 1B or DH and an occasional start at 3B to rest Manny plus PH late in games.

If we end up needing that bench spot for someone with more defensive versatility, fine, but cutting him before the season is unnecessary. Especially for someone crappy like LaPorta, even if he might have some upside left (it's been 1000+ PAs in the majors and his OPS is sub-700).

That's making the game so complicated though. We have a guy we can't play in the field (and he is TERRIBLE in the field, like worse than Reynolds at 3B) and not much better at 1B, he doesn't have the hands or arm Reynolds have and has the same range (non existent). If you are keeping a guy on your team and a good chunk of your idea for him is as a pinch hitter, you are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have anyone on your bench that you don't feel comfortable starting if you need/want to.

I think there is more value in him NOT being on the team (regardless of who it's for, I don't care if it's for Avery).
@JeremyMStrain

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,928 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

That's making the game so complicated though. We have a guy we can't play in the field (and he is TERRIBLE in the field, like worse than Reynolds at 3B) and not much better at 1B, he doesn't have the hands or arm Reynolds have and has the same range (non existent). If you are keeping a guy on your team and a good chunk of your idea for him is as a pinch hitter, you are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have anyone on your bench that you don't feel comfortable starting if you need/want to.

I think there is more value in him NOT being on the team (regardless of who it's for, I don't care if it's for Avery).

He was awful last year at 3B, no doubt. I don't think he's actually that bad, though. If he was, he never would have been allowed to play 3B before, but that's been his primary position throughout his career. I'm comfortable starting him at 1B and DH, and am willing to try him out again with a short leash at 3B.

It's crazy to discount how good of a bat he has against RHP, the majority of the pitching. I'd never let him bat against LHP, but he's about as good of a hitter as we have against RHP.

You need bench players. You'll never find a bench player without weaknesses, otherwise they would be starters. So you collect guys with strengths that you need and weaknesses that you can cover up. He's got a strength that we sorely need: a good bat. His weakness is he can't use it against LHP and he's limited in where he can play defensively. However, we don't have options at 1B and DH that are so good that you can't foresee Betemit getting a lot of at bats. I think it's possible that Reynolds is benched against RHP next year if he hits them as badly as he did last season aside from those 3 weeks in August/September. It's also possible that Davis struggles next season after his breakout year last year. Neither of those guys are players you should be extremely confident will be the starter at 1B and DH all year long. And that's assuming we even bring Reynolds back.

A bench of Casilla, Betemit, Teagarden, and Reimold/Avery/Hoes (I lean Reimold if healthy) is probably what we're looking at, assuming we go with a 7-man pen. I'm fine with that bench.

#30 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

He got added to the roster, he's protected.

Yeah I just saw that. I read last night that he wasn't protected, must've been a bad report.
@JeffLongBP

#31 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

If someone takes Bundy would he have to stay on ML roster, or just AAA?

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

He was awful last year at 3B, no doubt. I don't think he's actually that bad, though. If he was, he never would have been allowed to play 3B before, but that's been his primary position throughout his career. I'm comfortable starting him at 1B and DH, and am willing to try him out again with a short leash at 3B.

It's crazy to discount how good of a bat he has against RHP, the majority of the pitching. I'd never let him bat against LHP, but he's about as good of a hitter as we have against RHP.

You need bench players. You'll never find a bench player without weaknesses, otherwise they would be starters. So you collect guys with strengths that you need and weaknesses that you can cover up. He's got a strength that we sorely need: a good bat. His weakness is he can't use it against LHP and he's limited in where he can play defensively. However, we don't have options at 1B and DH that are so good that you can't foresee Betemit getting a lot of at bats. I think it's possible that Reynolds is benched against RHP next year if he hits them as badly as he did last season aside from those 3 weeks in August/September. It's also possible that Davis struggles next season after his breakout year last year. Neither of those guys are players you should be extremely confident will be the starter at 1B and DH all year long. And that's assuming we even bring Reynolds back.

A bench of Casilla, Betemit, Teagarden, and Reimold/Avery/Hoes (I lean Reimold if healthy) is probably what we're looking at, assuming we go with a 7-man pen. I'm fine with that bench.

Yeah I mean, really it's just personal philosophy, so it's just rough for me because he completely goes against mine. I don't like the part time players and platoons that get scattered around the game. I get it, I just don't like it unless a guy can contribute in a couple different areas. Betemit is just too one-dimensional for me personally.

I think the degrade, watching some film from the past couple years, is him getting old, I don't think he was always this bad, which is why teams kept bringing him in for different spots, but I think he's lost about 2 steps over the past 3 years and he's pretty much a DH only at this point.

Meh, like I said I get why people build lineups like that, I just don't like it myself, I see enough pieces with this team that I think I could set up a better team without him here, and then with that flexibility I think it would open up a spot of luxury for the bench, which you COULD use for a 1-dimensional hitter for DH or pinch hitting, but I personally would rather take a shot on a guy with some upside and see what he could do, even if it's just for a couple months.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yeah I just saw that. I read last night that he wasn't protected, must've been a bad report.

It was late last night, saw it around midnight.
@JeremyMStrain

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

If someone takes Bundy would he have to stay on ML roster, or just AAA?

He'd have to say on active 25 man roster all season or be offered back. I think he's a bit better than Beato was, so I think it's possible, but that team would have to have a deep pen to limit his exposure.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I really don't get the people who are anti Betemit.

The guy is clearly a big asset vs righties. He's arguably the best hitter on the entire team vs righties and he doesn't get paid much. Regardless of anything else, that line alone should be enough for the debate that's happening in this thread to never happen.

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I really don't get the people who are anti Betemit.

The guy is clearly a big asset vs righties. He's arguably the best hitter on the entire team vs righties and he doesn't get paid much. Regardless of anything else, that line alone should be enough for the debate that's happening in this thread to never happen.

Because he is terrible defensively and you have to trust that your manager will use him the proper way.

I don't really want him on the team either...I would like an everyday option and Betimet gone.

But I do agree with you that if he is used properly, that he has value.

BTW(and this is probably my biggest personal issue), the way the team is constructed at those positions just kind of sucks. Having these guys with huge holes in their games, the inconsistencies, etc....is annoying.

Now, that's not Betimet's fault but I think i would personally be much happier with him on the team if the talent was different.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

BTw, i agree with AS...I would take a chance on LaPorta.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

BTW(and this is probably my biggest personal issue), the way the team is constructed at those positions just kind of sucks. Having these guys with huge holes in their games, the inconsistencies, etc....is annoying.

Now, that's not Betimet's fault but I think i would personally be much happier with him on the team if the talent was different.

I think it's the team's way of taking a creative approach to solve the 1B/DH issue. They're not going to break the bank on an over priced FA, so they're going about it in a smart way. Rather than one sexy, but ridiculously expensive player... who could easily get hurt, or have a down year BTW, you have multiple flawed players who together provide an adequate solution. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating, because it does limit our flexibility in some ways... but I do understand why that's the case, and given the alternative, I'm actually OK with it.

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Because he is terrible defensively and you have to trust that your manager will use him the proper way.

I don't really want him on the team either...I would like an everyday option and Betimet gone.

But I do agree with you that if he is used properly, that he has value.

It's not rocket science to have him as the starting DH vs righties. I'm pretty confident that Buck will use him that way as long as he has someone to use vs lefties like Reimold or Gomes or Hoes or La Porta.

He's arguably the best hitter on the team vs righties and there's a clear role for him on the team as it's presently constructed. Case closed.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think it's the team's way of taking a creative approach to solve the 1B/DH issue. They're not going to break the bank on an over priced FA, so they're going about it in a smart way. Rather than one sexy, but ridiculously expensive player... who could easily get hurt, or have a down year BTW, you have multiple flawed players who together provide an adequate solution. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating, because it does limit our flexibility in some ways... but I do understand why that's the case, and given the alternative, I'm actually OK with it.

Yeah, Betemit and Reimold or Gomes can give you a .850+ OPS from the DH spot. In other words, about what Billy Butler would do for more money and at the expense of some good players going to KC. It does suck to have to use 2 players for 1 spot, but I'm good with doing that at one or possibly 2 positions.

It's actually a very smart and efficient way to get strong production out of the DH spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=